changeofheart

My marriage began as a sham

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would never admit to the first filing being fraudulent , just say you couldn't cope with distance and are wanting to try again to be together now.

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I would never admit to the first filing being fraudulent , just say you couldn't cope with distance and are wanting to try again to be together now.

I would never admit to being proud of the fact I would lie to immigration officers to benefit myself. If they take this advice and lie, then get caught they are done. No chance. We are not here to encourage lies... it is against the forum policy and it really is not beneficial to the OP and their situation at all.

Getting a good immigration attorney and being honest about the entire situation is the best chance of getting through the process. Coming clean now and getting it all taken care of is far better then fighting through it long term during every step of the way... only to be banned.

1st) You have 2 different issues (overstay & bona fide marriage) & I suggest you stop being the 1 to mix the 2.

2nd) You don't have to lie to fix this. Just present the facts... only the facts & shut up. Don't volunteer anything other than the facts. Only speak when spoken to. Only Answer when asked. Think = Contain & Maintain.

This is not nearly as difficult as you seem to think.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

it will work out ,get attorney and be patient , it will take time ,but as long as it is real marriage and both of u r in states it will just b a matter of time,yes more like 'green card ' movie ,,goodluck

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Attorney Shusterman in Los Angeles used to work for USCIS.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

ah i saw the GreenCard movie.. aha indeed it was a lot like this.

AOS FROM F1

Met -January 8th, 2011

Married - February 1st, 2013

5/29/2013 - Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

6/03/2013 - Package Received.

6/06/2013 - Check Cashed.

6/07/2013 - Receipt Date on NOAs - Transferred to National Benefits Center.

6/11/2013 - Received Hard copy NOAs.

6/14/2013 - Biometrics Appointment Notice.

7/08/2013 - Biometrics Done and Successful in Baltimore.

7/17/2013 - I-485 status updated to "Testing and Interview".

8/07/2013 - Interview Notice Received.(online/text).

8/08/2013 - Interview Notice Received.(Mail).

8/09/2013 - EAD Approved.

8/17/2013 - EAD Received.

8/22/2013 - SSC Received.

9/12/2013 - AOS Interview - Further Review needed.

10/03/2013 - AOS APPROVED!!!
10/15/2013 - GC Received.

.....till 2015.

30/09/2015 - Mailed ROC Package to Vermont Lockbox

09/11/2015 - Biometrics Taken in Baltimore

19/08/2016 - RFE received

12/10/2016 - RFE response package sent.

04/11/2016 - ROC APPROVED!!!

25/11/2016 - GC Received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Considering the circumstances, I believe you have a long row to hoe!...You live in different states whats going to change after

you apply for citizenship? Then, you want to lie to your attorney? You better tell your attorney everything, they work for you, you

dont work for them. If I was an attorney and found out you lied to me from the gitgo, I would drop you as a client.....Good luck and be honest, there is such a thing as client-attorney privacy..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree with those that you need a good attorney--one who does only immigration law. There seemed to be a few recommended ones in this thread that sound good to me. Remember, there is no need to have an attorney near you, things can be done via phone/skype and email today.

You needn't worry about being totally truthful with an attorney. They never act as judges and won't drop a case once they've accepted it. Even if an attorney refuses to accept your case, even USCIS cannot demand information from that attorney which is called attorney-client privilege. Lawyers do not judge. They may say to you that under the circumstances they advise this or that but they won't blame/shame or walk out on you. (Unless as Doug/Sherry noted: if they catch you lying to them, then they can drop you, and probably will).

Though highly unlikely please remember that when a person admits to breaking a law on the internet it is a relatively simple matter to find that person. Were USCIS or some other law enforcement agency to take an interest it is not difficult to subpoena each entity that this thread went through which will lead back to your computer (or the computer you are sending this from which, of course could be in a library or college). If you send this from a home computer then you, or someone in your abode has an account with an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and that ISP will turn over, if subpoenaed, who owns that account.

Many people here have frowned at your admitting to immigration fraud (as evidenced by the number who clicked on the "you're bad" thread. Yet here in my tiny state of New Hampshire there are today, more then 10,000 people not only doing the same thing but who are working illegally. Things need to be looked at in perspective.

You state that now you have a valid relationship. Ok then the Immigration Fraud is in the past and we are onto a new chapter. Let's assume for a moment that you did commit immigration fraud but now have a valid relationship. Most crimes have a Limitation of Actions, for instance if you get chased for speeding in the state of New Hampshire, are identified, but you get away and visit a brother in another state for 6 months, guess what? When you return you cannot be prosecuted.

However, though I am no lawyer, it appears that Immigration Fraud violates several federal laws and from what I have read, two of these have no limitation of action. Therefore it appears that even if you manage to work things out as a valid marriage and he becomes a citizen then it appears that at any time in the future you and he could be charged and prosecuted.

"In 1986 Congress passed the Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendment. This act sets the penalties imposed on persons who enter into fraudlent marriages to obtain resident status for a foreign national. Both parties can be charged with a federal felony which carries a 2-5 year federal prison sentence and a maximum of $250,000 fine. After serving the imposed sentence the foreign national will be permanently deported and the U.S. citizen will have a record of a federal felony conviction."

Your case is exceedingly complex--find a lawyer who specializes in immigration law, preferably one who specializes in immigration violations/criminal cases. But again, to this lawyer you can tell everything, they will never "rat you out." (Report you to officials).

Edited by Juliet and Steve

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Search for this immigration lawyer who is well known in US immigration issues. He is MITCHELL J. COHEN-HALLANDALE BEACH, FLORIDA.

I have read here on VJ how he's helped people with worst cases than yours. Good luck

Search for this immigration lawyer who is well known in US immigration issues. He is MITCHELL J. COHEN, HALLANDALE BEACH, FLORIDA.

I have read here on VJ how he's helped people with worst cases than yours. Good luck

You live in different states whats going to change after you apply for citizenship?

I think the reason they live in different states was because of the OP's state's tough immigration laws, the implication being that once the OP's spouse is legal they will be able to live together again because the laws will no longer be a deterrent.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

bad advice. it is better to come clean now, than get caught in the lie later

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

First of all you make a huge and embarrassing mistake by admitting anything online.... With that said the only options from here are to be truthful and honest... Me speaking as a US Citizen (BORN) I can only say that I am very judgmental to those who defy the actual immigration laws even if all of us at one time were immigrants. There is a process and the laws are specific... Follow them and you have at least a leg to stand on, but dancing around the laws or trying to play with them will make it much more painful if you both are serious... First if it is required for him to leave while you go through this process then " So Be It", it is a process and there is a right and wrong way to do this.

There is nothing more offensive as a US Citizen to have to go through this process and have to prove a relationship and that I have or make enough money to support my fiancé. I see day in and day out plenty of US citizens having kids that can not afford them yet, I have to prove that I make enough money only to marry the love of my life... If you really want to know the truth... I suggest you talk to him and if you are serious about your relationship, you need to follow the laws that have been placed regardless of how ridiculous. I will not begin to go through the "HELL" me and my fiancé have been through and trust me if he has been living HIGH on the horse illegally its time that you both were humbled and do it correctly... If Love is the foundation then it wont matter, but by you coming on here to post this "Your Story" publicly you have already sadly made you and his journey more difficult... Time nor Distance never interferes with love.... You all have been playing from state to state, try playing from country to country!

Do it right and be truthful.... It may be painful, but I live by the standard of "The Truth HURTS, but Will Set You FREE"...

For the Scriptures tell us that no one who believes in Christ will ever be disappointed.

Romans 10: 11 TLB

07/14/2012 Engaged

10/22/2012 I-129F Sent

11/28/2012 I-129F NOA1

05/28/2013 I-129F NOA2

08/13/2013 Interview Date (approved)

08/20/2013 Visa Received

xx/xx/xxxx US Entry

xx/xx/xxxx Marriage

I kinda agree with this comment actually. I know its' a lie but you don't have to tell the whole truth. If you are both really love each other there are a lot more points you can prove the marriage is real and you guys love each other. Honesty is great don't get me wrong but too honest I'm not sure if it works for the world we live in right now.

again. just my opinion.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.