johnmbb

Income and Asset combination acceptable?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,
I only have one tax return from the most recent year of about $20,000 in earnings, but I have $45,000 in cash assets. The previous two years I did not have much work or earnings. Would this meet the income requirement for a spouse visa if I am living in Florida, USA and the poverty level for a family of 2 is $19,338? ($65,000 / 3 = $21,667) or do I need more years of earnings? I get confused with how they calculate assets of like 3 times the difference in earnings.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

assets is calculated like this for example if you made 17,000 for the year and you need to make 19338 so you subtract (19338-17000=2338) so your assets need to be 3 times that much 2338x3=7014. So your assets need to be about $7014

Edited by florida4life

Keep it Real

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Question: is "what you earned" the total amount of money on your W2(s) or is it your AGI from your 1040? I'm getting ready to fill out my I-134 and am wondering if my assets need to be 3x higher than the total amount of money on my W2s or 3x higher than my AGI (adjusted gross income) in order to meet the 125% line for a 2 person family. Please advise.

Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi y3ll0w

I believe it is total income that you report on the I-134. line 22, total income, UNLESS you file 1040EZ in which case you use line 37.

florida4life,

Thank you for explaining that. I know about the difference between earnings and poverty times 3, and for 2012 I earned enough, but I am wondering if they will be concerned that I did not work a couple of years out of the past 3 years and $45,000 in assets will make up for that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.