Dev & Mike

Paris, France embassy: why is it so slow now??

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am a French citizen and my fiancée is American. We started the process for obtaining a K-1 Visa in January, 2013 (I-129F form). We were approved on June 20, 2013 (NOA2). At that time, I thought everything would go faster then but no way! I am so frustrated, I don't understand why it is still so slow now!

On July 11, our case was finally forwarded by the Service Center to the National Visa Center (NVC).

On July 22, our case was finally forwarded by NVC to U.S. Embassy.

Since then, no answer from the embassy, they did not reply to my emails either... It does not seem there is any direct phone line to the service that handles the Visa... right ?

Now it looks like the status on the uscis.gov website changed back to "On July 11, 2013, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing."

Anyone who had experience the Paris embassy before?

I am also wondering two things:

1) how old the documens for the affidavit of support from my fiancee can be at the time of the interview? => can she do that now even though they might be months old when I get the interview...

2) how old the medical results can be? I am moving out of Paris by the end of the august, I'd like to do the medical exam before I leave Paris but I'm not sure whether the results will still be ok if I get my interview in october or november... :/

Thank you.

Michael

Why is it slow? Probably because it's August and everyone is on vacances.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

1. As recent as possible.

2. Your visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of your medical, so ideally, you want to have had the medical in the 6 month window prior to when you want to enter the US, to save complications. Do you have your case number (beginning with a 3 letter code for Paris then a set of numbers like PRS2013XXXXXX? - I don't know what the Paris code is, just guessing it's likely PRS or something)?

If they got your case on the 22nd (likely a day or two after that, since it has to leave the NVC and reach Paris), it's likely just sat in a pile of "to be processed" papers - I wouldn't call it slow just yet. Your Packet 3 shouldn't be far off.

Paris provides an email address you can try contacting: ParisConIV@state.gov

There's some info on the Paris embassy page on VJ too: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=France&cty=Paris

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Yes I emailed them already but never got an answer so I guess it's due to the holidays as "Harpa Timsah" said. :/

2) I thought the medical exams were needed only for the interview... but you are saying that they must be valid the day I enter the US as well? not only the day of the interview?

Yes, I have this number "PRS2013XXXXXX"

Can I use it to find out the status of my case?

How long does it usually take after you get Packet 3 to get your VISA if you gather the needed files quickly?

Thanks.

Yes I emailed them already but never got an answer so I guess it's due to the holidays as "Harpa Timsah" said. :/

2) I thought the medical exams were needed only for the interview... but you are saying that they must be valid the day I enter the US as well? not only the day of the interview?

Yes, I have this number "PRS2013XXXXXX"

Can I use it to find out the status of my case?

How long does it usually take after you get Packet 3 to get your VISA if you gather the needed files quickly?

Thanks.

The medical stipulates the validity of your visa. So if you had your medical today, and you had your interview in a month, your visa would be still be valid from 6 months from today and you have to enter the US by 6 months from today. So, your medical, by nature of the expiration date of your visa, will be valid the day you enter the US. Does that make sense?

If for some reason your interview happened beyond the 6 months validity of the x-ray, there's a good chance you'd have to go back to the Doctor's and have a new x-ray. Similarly, if you didn't use the visa within the date it's valid, you'd probably have to get a new x-ray before they'd extend the visa validity. The medical itself (the basic physical part) is valid for 12 months, but the x-ray you get only 6 months (annoying).

In most countries, you need your case number (the PRS) to be able to book your medical. It's this code that your embassy will be using to deal with your case. If you've got your PRS, you can check your status on CEAC. That should give you an idea of whether Paris has done anything with your case.

Plug your number into this: http://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker What does it say? In transit? Ready?

In terms of time - you're looking at probably 2 - 3 months once the embassy is actually active on your files to be all done.

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Thank you for the tip about the ceac.state.gov website. I do not think it was mentioned in any of the papers...

The status is Ready. But what does it really mean... my case is ready for interview but I did not get Packet 3 yet..

Case Creation Date:19-Jul-2013

Status Updated Date:25-Jul-2013

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at:http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3731.html

As for the medical exams, ok so if I take the medical exam at the end of august, I have to enter the US at the end of february 2014 the latest.

I really hope I'll get my Visa before smile.png lol

Anyway, so knowing that I think I can go take the medical exams by the end of the month since I plan to leave right after I get my VISA so even if I get it in two or three months, it will be good.

Just to make sure, they check if the medical results are OK the day of the inverwiew as well I guess?

Thanks a lot for all this information.

Edited by Dev & Mike

Thank you for the tip about the ceac.state.gov website. I do not think it was mentioned in any of the papers...

The status is Ready. But what does it really mean... my case is ready for interview but I did not get Packet 3 yet..

Case Creation Date:19-Jul-2013

Status Updated Date:25-Jul-2013

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at:http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3731.html

As for the medical exams, ok so if I take the medical exam at the end of august, I have until the end of february 2014 to enter the US.

I really hope I'll get my Visa before smile.png lol

Anyway, so knowing that I think I can go take the medical exams by the end of the month the latest, since I plan to leave right after I get my VISA so even if I get it in two or three months, it will be good.

Just to make sure, they check if the medical results are OK the day of the inverwiew as well I guess?

Thanks a lot for all this information.

Yeah. Ready is good. It means your case has been logged and the embassy should have sent you Packet 3. It's possible that's simply become lost in the mail. I'd search about on the forums and see if someone has recently posted their Paris Packet 3 letter / instructions. It's likely they're just online somewhere. You'll need to check what order Paris would like you to do things in, as each embassy differs somewhat (some want the medical done the day before the interview, some want the medical done before an interview date will be given). Some will tell you the results same day, others take a few days.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

BTW, here's a similar recent thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/445715-french-embassy/

Sounds like 3 weeks+ is normal for Paris. sad.png

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Thanks for the thread lost_at_sea.

Ok then I still have to wait since it has not been 3 weeks.

I was wondering one last thing: when did the embassy really received my case.

On 19-Jul-2013 (Case Creation Date on the ceac.state.gov website.) ?

But NVC told us our case was finally forwarded to U.S. Embassy on July 22.. Which does not work! lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.