7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Dominica
Timeline

Hi, I have a bit of an issue and I have little time to solve it.

I am currently an International Student here in the States, I have maintained legal Status so far, so no problem there. I just completed last year my 2 year degree from a community college and then started working under my OPT/EAD.

My OPT finished now about 3 months ago, and I transferred to a different school to finish my last 2 years to get my bachelor's degree.

To make a story short, I waited till the last minute to do pretty much everything, and even though I and currently legally staying in the country, I don't know if I can travel within the US because I currently have no real document with me to show that I am staying here.

what I mean by that is that my Visa to enter the country had been expired for years (that does not mean an illegal just so you know) but I never cared about that because I never really needed it since I had no internet in going back to visit my country for vacation or anything like that while I was studying in the US, at the time I was only focused on my studies, so I let my visa expired.

However my I-94 says D/S so I am not overstaying or anything like that I just can't leave the country, nor do I want to take the chance to go back to my home country to renew my visa just to get it denied after all the sacrificed I have put into my studies (I know other international students in my school that had gone through that).

SO bottom line I have no visa, my OPT ended so I have no valid EAD card either, and my driver's license expired a long time ago, I tried to get a new one a couple of days ago but I literally got thrown out of the DMW office I tried to get it from and was called an illegal immigrant by the cuban clerk by here in Miami because I didn't have an I-20 at the moment, since my I-20 for my OPT have just ended.

and that's basically where my problem resides. Like I say before I just transfer to another school which happens to be in Minnesota, I'm in Miami right now. My international adviser at my new school told me that she will give me my new I-20 (the one for the new school I transfer to) when I get there so I have to go to her office and pick it up. While my international adviser from my previous school in Miami is saying that I need the new I-20 from the new University in order to travel.

Either way, school is about to start and I can't wait for my I-20 to be mail to me so my best option is to go to the school and pick it up myself. and that is my Problem.

How can I get into a plane (4 actually) to get to my new school without a visa, or I-20 or EAD card or a valid Driver's License (I don't have a driver's License or ID from my country either b/c when I came here I was under 17 so I couldn't get one)

I need to move from Florida by the end of this month, if not earlier. But I only have my valid I-94 and my passport from my country (with a expired visa) to show that I am here legally. I need to take so many planes that I feel that if I get in an airport without any issues I might actually have it in the next one or the one after that, also greyhound and amtrak are not an option at this point for me.

so is there any way I can travel to within the USA with in my current situation? without having any legal problems or being stop by Immigration or any other agency? I know TSA check for visas some times in some airports (like Orlando, which is one of my stops actually) and hand people over to Homeland Sec. too

any advice, and before you start telling me how stupid I am, I just wan to clarify that I know more than any body that the situation in which I am in right now is all my fault and I did this to myself for doing this process of transferring to school so late. So please don't mention that I just need a solution at this point not criticism.

Please any type of input would be appreciated

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There are few things out of ordinary in your story, it is unusual for your new schools DSO not mailing your I-20.

Any school would mail out I-20 especially for student in the country as valid I-20 shows your status in country.

You can use your passport as proof of your ID and it would vary from agent to agent in airport, some agents would look at visa some don’t.

If I was in your situation, I would just ask the new school to send the I-20 right away.

Your school’s DSO was confused he was telling you is you need valid I-20 to travel internationally as they sign the back of I-20 before you leave the country.

You use your passport for ID for the TSA agent when travelling domestically. Keep the I-94 in a safe place so it does not fall out while they are checking your ID against your boarding pass. TSA agents are only required to check ID. They do not check for lawful status in the US. That is the job of the CBP. TSA has no legal authority to detain you unless you violate one of their rules about passing thru the security check point--when showing the ID you have not been searched so there is no way you have violated any of their rules or policies. They can call over a CBP person, but you can ask them why you are being detained and politely ask them if you can leave since you are not violating any of their rules.

Here is a list of acceptable IDs for getting thru the TSA security check point (notice it says nothing about showing lawful presence evidence):

• U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Border Crossing Card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • Native American Tribal Photo ID
  • An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • A foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
  • Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.

It is assumed that you have already been checked by a CBP perosn and cleared in to the US.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Dominica
Timeline

There are few things out of ordinary in your story, it is unusual for your new schools DSO not mailing your I-20.

Any school would mail out I-20 especially for student in the country as valid I-20 shows your status in country.

Either way, school is about to start and I can't wait for my I-20 to be mail to me so my best option is to go to the school and pick it up myself. and that is my Problem.

Please read carefully before calling someone a lier or whatever you were trying to call me. I never said they wouldn't sent it to me, but I have e to report to school by the 20th otherwise I won't be able to register and will lose a semester. So I don't have time to wait for it to be mail, I rather get on a plane and go pick it up myself. When I sent my application through the mail from Florida to Moorehead it took like 3 week to get there. I even thought they post office had lost it. So I can't take a chance like that. I need to go there sooner than right now .

in any case I appreciate you input, thank you

A lot of mail services have overnight option - USPS, UPS, DHL, FedEX. Why can't your international advisor overnight it to you? Plenty of time for it to come to you if you have to be there on Aug 20.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.