OCCmarine

RFE, Divorce Decree from Japan

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All,

I just received the hard copy of my RFE. It says I need to provide the "complete and final divorce decree" for my fiancee. My question is what does a complete and final divorce decree from Japan look like? My fiancee sent me the document and translation that is shown in the attached pictures. Is this a divorce decree? Or, do we need a better translation than the one from the Japanese language school in Davao City, Philippines? Also since my fiancee is in the Philippines, can she get a copy of the divorce decree from the Japanese Consulate? Any info will be greatly appreciated.post-158346-0-68908300-1375749683_thumb.jpgpost-158346-0-88453200-1375749692_thumb.jpg

Sorry to read this, your gals divorce is going to have to be on record with the NBI, the catholic church, and reflected on her CENMAR. This is going to take a lot of time and $money$. Hopefully, others in this forum can add more info. and help. Best of luck!

Sid

I don't know about a divorce decree, but I requested my Japanese police cert from the japanese embassy in Canada and they provide it in 5 different languages.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, I'm a Japanese citizen (beneficiary) and we got an RFE for "the complete and final divorce decree" for my previous marriage. I submitted the same document as a reply to the RFE. I don't know what other documents your fiancee is required in Philippines, but that's the document I submitted (different prefecture, though). I hope this helps :)

Timeline

Hi, I'm a Japanese citizen (beneficiary) and we got an RFE for "the complete and final divorce decree" for my previous marriage. I submitted the same document as a reply to the RFE. I don't know what other documents your fiancee is required in Philippines, but that's the document I submitted (different prefecture, though). I hope this helps smile.png

Interesting. Did you send in anything showing the divorce with the initial packet? I'm starting to wonder if it is not the original Japanese document, but the translation that USCIS has the question about. My fiancee does have a different copy of this document that was translated by the Japanese Consulate. Maybe that would be enough?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Yes, I did submit another document with the initial packet. The document is called "Koseki Tohon" in Japanese. In English, I think it's called Family Register. I even attached a document called "Joseki Tohon", a certificate to prove my removal from my ex's family register. But we got an RFE. So I submitted a copy of Certificate of Acceptance as a response to the RFE, with a letter from my lawyer to explain it is an official document to prove divorce in Japan. Soon after we got NOA2.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure if the document would satisfy your case, but that's what I submitted.

Timeline

Yes, I did submit another document with the initial packet. The document is called "Koseki Tohon" in Japanese. In English, I think it's called Family Register. I even attached a document called "Joseki Tohon", a certificate to prove my removal from my ex's family register. But we got an RFE. So I submitted a copy of Certificate of Acceptance as a response to the RFE, with a letter from my lawyer to explain it is an official document to prove divorce in Japan. Soon after we got NOA2.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure if the document would satisfy your case, but that's what I submitted.

Thanks for the info. You've been very helpful. It sounds like your case was very similar to mine. I've seen the new document that my fiancee is sending to me, and while the Japanese document is the same, it has a certification letter from the Japanese Consulate stating that the document is real and the translation is accurate. I'm thinking that will be enough, but I will ask the advice of a lawyer to see if an explanation letter is needed also. Thanks again.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All,

I just received the hard copy of my RFE. It says I need to provide the "complete and final divorce decree" for my fiancee. My question is what does a complete and final divorce decree from Japan look like? My fiancee sent me the document and translation that is shown in the attached pictures. Is this a divorce decree? Or, do we need a better translation than the one from the Japanese language school in Davao City, Philippines? Also since my fiancee is in the Philippines, can she get a copy of the divorce decree from the Japanese Consulate? Any info will be greatly appreciated.attachicon.gifdivorce document.jpgattachicon.gifdivorce document translation.jpg

Apparently that is it from what the other poster stated.

Sorry to read this, your gals divorce is going to have to be on record with the NBI, the catholic church, and reflected on her CENMAR. This is going to take a lot of time and $money$. Hopefully, others in this forum can add more info. and help. Best of luck!

Sid

Not necessarily true. If the marriage was never reported to the Philippines then for all intents and purposes in the Philippines she is still single. USCIS and USEM are the only ones that will need a copy of her divorce decree to process things. Now if they did do a report of marriage then ... yes its a long costly process.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 1 month later...
  • Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.