samyacle

Moving Furniture Question

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just one of the trolls with nothing better to do.

Not necessarily a troll sorry.

Story keeps changing because I am trying to figure out the best way to do this without paying duty and to do this all in a legal way. The furniture is worth only 1200 and I rather avoid duty if possible.

If I cant, then obviously I have the option of leaving it in a storage in Canada as recommended by some; Its just that I am not a 100 percent sure I will come back to Canada and it may end up sitting in the storage for a very long time.

Once again, I apologize if you feel like I am a troll. Hope you can forgive me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With the amount of hatred I have received just from your replies feels like I made a mistake by posting a question in this forum.

So what did the POE say? Bother to call them? So much hatred,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for your advice? What kind of ownership evidence? Can they provide the receipts of the things? Would those be sufficient?

If a Canadian is immigrating to the USA to take care of his mother that lives with his brother, can he move his furniture there?

Thank you for the website. It has some great answers

If the Canadian has obtained the proper visa issued by the US Consulate officials after completing the necessary immigration application and paperwork, then he/she is allowed to import any personal property owned for more than a year duty-free. The Canadian has to be moving to the US, however, and not just leaving his/her property there. Automobiles must have a letter of compliance that the car meets the US safety and environmental standards issued by the manufacturer, along with a clear title that can be registered in the appropriate US state.

There does not seem to be a clear visa option available for Senior care, however, as the au pair visa is only allowed for looking after children and senior care is explicitly ineligible for the usual H1-B work visa. Without a proper visa that authorizes a foreigner to look after a senior, that would be considered illegal employment and a violation of immigration regulations.

A US citizen parent can sponsor an adult child under the family preference category but the number of these visas available each year are quite limited and as this is the lowest priority family preference category, there is a multi-year waiting list before such a visa becomes available. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f63da6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f63da6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Quite honestly, under your circumstances, you can either sell off the furniture since you don't know if you will be returning to Canada within the 6 months, store it and pay the storage fees, or 'gift' it to your brother and pay the duty/import fees. Outside of electronics (TV, computers, etc.) since the items are used and according to you have a value of $1200, the duty shouldn't be a lot. You would probably pay more than the value of the items just in the moving costs.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, please do not resurrect old threads and add posts on to them asking questions you have already asked here. The 2011 thread you resurrected has now been locked to further discussion. Please post your questions on this thread so that all of the information is kept in one place rather than adding posts onto other people's threads.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

So what did the POE say? Bother to call them? So much hatred,lol

Thank you for your "lol".

I was not able to call them yesterday since I was at work. When I called afterwards, they had closed.

Why is this thread not closed yet? This has nothing to do with Visa Journey, IMHO.

Thank you for your IMHO

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

And thank you for trolling. Can we please follow CM11 advice and lock it down!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

And thank you for trolling. Can we please follow CM11 advice and lock it down!!

If you think CM11 is right, I am sure that there are other threads on this forum that have nothing to do with visa journey.

Anyways, whatever makes you happy, so you can lock it down if you so desire.

It's not that the thread has nothing to do with a visa journey; you're trying to find a way to circumvent the rules. It's really against TOS http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.