Andrew and Megan

Help! Waiting for an Interview, NOA2 Expired

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Help please?

My fiance sent his DS forms to the embassy in June and had his medical on July 8th. He called the London embassy and they confirmed that they received the medical and his forms on July 12th and to expect a six week wait period. He also explained that our NOA2 expires on July 24th and asked if we needed to do anything. They told him that I (the USC fiancee) should mail a notarized letter of intent to marry directly to the embassy. I did and it arrived there on July 21st. Well, yesterday my fiance got the below letter in the mail, which was sent on July 29th:

"We refer to our communication concerning the receipt of an approved petition according you status as a fiance of a United States citizen.

As of this date we have had no reply from you. Please inform us within sixty days whether you intend to proceed with an application for a non-immigrant visa to marry and reside in the United States. We would appreciate a response even if you wish to abandon the application."

Both of us tried calling DoS, NVC, the embassy, but we can't get through to humans anymore.

His forms have been sent and we were just waiting for an interview. Will this slow us down? He is sending a letter in first class mail today to say that he has sent all of his forms in and still intends to marry me. Does anyone have advice for us? Has this happened to anyone else before? We are nervous wrecks.

Thanks for any advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there,

Have you received the packet 4 saying that you can set up an interview? If so go ahead and set up an interview. That is what I had to do when going through the process in Canada. I would also suggest going to the London Portal and seeing what the consensus is there as some countries are different then others. I would say do not worry about the expiration date as they will extend it at the interview and the email proves that they still have all of your stuff. But if someone who has went through London could chime in that would be great.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Canada and London have different procedures for the interview - in London you don't book your interview yourself (yet - I believe, but there was a post here recently about that changing; check out the London embassy page). When I went through the process about 2 years ago there were regular occurances where the interview letter was not received by mail (not sure if it was a royal mail or US embassy that messed up) so the most reliable way to find out if your interview was scheduled and for when was to ring DOS US line (much cheaper than embassy) and check in with them. I would recommend doing that and trying to get through to a customer service rep to see if an interview had been scheduled which you missed or if there are any other notes on your file. It might take some time to get through to a human but it'll be worth it.

Edited by N&S

Timeline

He hasn't gotten packet 4 just yet. Still waiting.

I tried calling DoS yesterday, but I only got automated answers and no people. My fiance even tried to call the embassy and was told by someone they don't take calls anymore and he should email.

Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it!

I just tried calling DoS again and I am still only getting automated responses. Can someone please tell me what I have to do to get a person on the other end?

Thanks.

On Wednesdays they're closed from roughly 11:30-12:30ish Eastern. So give them a bit and they'll get back from lunch.

(202) 663-1225 -> 1 for English -> then 0 for a representative.

ROC:

17-JUN-2016: Filed I-751

24-JUN-2016: VSC NOA

09-JUL-2016: Biometrics appointment Raleigh, NC ASC

AOS:

04-JAN-2014: POE

07-JAN-2014: Filed for SSN

18-JAN-2014: Wedding in Wilmington, NC

31-JAN-2014: Filed for AOS (lockbox received 01-FEB-2014)

05-FEB-2014: NOA1 for I-485, I-765, I-131

04-MAR-2014: Biometrics in Raleigh, NC

09-APR-2014: I-765/I-131 approved

14-APR-2014: EAD/AP Card Received (mailed 11-APR-2014)

14-MAY-2014: Notice of delay in processing, estimated completion NOV-2014 :(

28-JUN-2014: Reception in Wilmington, NC

11-AUG-2014: Card production notice! :)

15-AUG-2014: Hardcopy I-797 Approval of AOS

18-AUG-2014: Card in hand.

K1:

25-DEC-2012: Proposal!

10-JAN-2013: Filed I-129F (lockbox received 12-JAN-2013)

16-JAN-2013: NOA1 VSC (hard copy received 22-JAN-2013)

30-MAY-2013: Transferred from VSC to TSC

24-JUN-2013: NOA2 electronic notification (hard copy received 27-JUN-2013)

16-JUL-2013: USCIS sends to NVC

22-JUL-2013: Case number assigned, sent to MTL. (called DoS instead of NVC)

24-JUL-2013: Case received at MTL. (hard copy received 27-JUL-2013)

08-AUG-2013: Packet 3 mailed to MTL via XPressPost (MTL received 12-AUG-2013)

20-AUG-2013: MTL logs Packet 3 and sends Packet 4 (happy birthday Christopher!)

28-AUG-2013: Medical (Dr. Seiden, results received 03-SEP-2013)

07-OCT-2013: Interview (Approved!)

10-OCT-2013: Visa ready with Loomis! (picked up 17-OCT-2013)

Help please?

My fiance sent his DS forms to the embassy in June and had his medical on July 8th. He called the London embassy and they confirmed that they received the medical and his forms on July 12th and to expect a six week wait period. He also explained that our NOA2 expires on July 24th and asked if we needed to do anything. They told him that I (the USC fiancee) should mail a notarized letter of intent to marry directly to the embassy. I did and it arrived there on July 21st. Well, yesterday my fiance got the below letter in the mail, which was sent on July 29th:

"We refer to our communication concerning the receipt of an approved petition according you status as a fiance of a United States citizen.

As of this date we have had no reply from you. Please inform us within sixty days whether you intend to proceed with an application for a non-immigrant visa to marry and reside in the United States. We would appreciate a response even if you wish to abandon the application."

Both of us tried calling DoS, NVC, the embassy, but we can't get through to humans anymore.

His forms have been sent and we were just waiting for an interview. Will this slow us down? He is sending a letter in first class mail today to say that he has sent all of his forms in and still intends to marry me. Does anyone have advice for us? Has this happened to anyone else before? We are nervous wrecks.

Thanks for any advice.

The letter you got is one they send out when they get nothing from people in the way of DS- application forms. Maybe they don't actually have them or mis-filed them. There are 3 things that must be received by the embassy for them to give an interview.

• Visa application forms sent in by you to get in the queue. Only forms. No passport photos or documents like birth certificate, police certificate, etc.

• Form DS-230 Part I
    • Form DS-156 (2 copies)
    • Form DS-157 (2 copies)
    • Form DS-156-K (Do not sign it. You will sign at the interview while the officer witnesses. It's an oath)
  • Medical results. They arrive at the embassy by courier 3-4 days after your medical exam.
  • Form DS-2001 Readiness for Interview with a cover letter- This is your way of saying you have gathered every document needed for the interview including the I-134 from your fiance. They are in your hands---not on the way.
Somebody in London thinks you have not sent your things in.

Also, the "Packet 3" letter of instruction has a date at the bottom and says if you aren't complete by that date you need the notarized letter of intent from the American. They tell you what to do so your fiancé missed that. You might want to do another. That is usually taken to the interview, not mailed to the embassy.

Here is how to contact them. http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html

DOS and NVC can't help you by looking at a file physically in London. DOS might have an indication if your forms are noted as received. Ask about all three things listed above.

The changes this week (effective Monday) are visa payment and courier scheduling online once you have an interview date. The call center phone number seems to have been disabled and replaced by that online contact form. It is all a big mess right now as they transition. Keep up with things in the UK forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

They actually did have all the documents. They just wanted him to confirm in writing that he still intended to apply for the visa before scheduling anything. He has his interview date scheduled now, so everything worked out.

Thanks for the advice.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Andrew, do you know the address you sent the confirmation in writing that you still intended to apply for the visa?

I got the same letter in the mail and I don't know where to send it or how I can let them know that I'm still interested.

In the letter it doesn't say where to send it.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.