GA&CA

What should we do?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am Canadian. My American Girlfriend and I are planning on getting married on Christmas. Now we are trying to decode this whole process. I have searched topics on this site for quite a while before posting.

My questions are :

Can we get married in the states and go throught the paperwork while i live there (starting december)?

Once the paperwork is started how long until I can live down there with her and work?

Whats a recent estimate of timeline before obtaining a greencard?

If I stay down there and wait for papers to come, can I return to Canada when I want to during that time?

Do I have no choice but to stay in Canada after we file the paperwork until it comes through?

What are the costs associated with this...

thanks for your patience and answers.

G

Timeline
How will you be entering the country in December? Visa waiver? Or do you have some other kind of visa?

I never needed a visa to enter the usa. I know that entering with the intent to stay is illegal, but i am hoping I dont have to intend on staying indefinately.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How will you be entering the country in December? Visa waiver? Or do you have some other kind of visa?

I never needed a visa to enter the usa. I know that entering with the intent to stay is illegal, but i am hoping I dont have to intend on staying indefinately.

What type of visa are you asking about

From the time lines I have seen here, it's currently taking about 6 months to process K-1 visa's and 6-10 months for K-3's . So unless you went back before the process was finished you be 'overstaying'. That's going to effect your visa petition. At some point you would have to go back and wait it out.

As far as just trying to move straight to ajusting your status....that would be very risky on your part. If you enter the US with no ties such as an apartment or a job it's going to be hard to prove that you didn't enter with the intention of staying. Then your are going to be in BIG trouble.....

The question is because if you entered on a student visa (for example ) ...then got married and ajusted your status that would be an option.

If you just enter under the pretense of a visit and don't go back your risking a ban.

04-21-2006 | Marriage in Santa Ana, CA
I-130 Process
06-29-2006 | Mailed to CSC
08-23-2006 | Was told application was rejected & sent back
08-30-2006 | Recieved rejected package
09-01-2006 | Resubmitted I-130
09-08-2006 | NOA1 (now that's more like it)
09-13-2006 | Recieved NOA1 in the mail
12-19-2006 | Recieved email RFE
12-20-2006 | Recieved RFE in mail
12-22-2006 | Sent out RFE info
01-09-2007 | NOA2 Email received!
I-130 at NVC
01-24-2007 | Case Number Assigned
02-06-2007 | Emailed DS-3032 COA
02-09-2007 | NVC confirms COA in email
02-20-2007 | DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed
02-26-2007 | Received DS3032 and AOS Fee Bill
02-28-2007 | Mailed AOS Fee Bill and check
03-13-2007 | I-864 received
03-21-2007 | I-864 sent
05-16-2007 | IV Bill resent from NVC (never got the first)
06-02-2007 | IV Bill received
06-05-2007 | IV Bill payment sent
06-26-2007 | Received DS230
06-29-2007 | Mailed DS230 to NVC
08-15-2007 | NVC process complete but was sent back to US CIS (#@$%#$% this sucks)
11-08-2007 | I-130 returned to NVC
11-08-2007 | Requested expedited interview due to daughters illness
11-21-2007 | NVC approved expedited interview. Mailed to Montreal Embassy Nov 20th
12-11-2007 | Told by contact at US Consulate in Toronto that our interview date will be on Jan 4th.
01-04-2008 | Interview In Montreal. VISA GRANTED
01-11-2008 | Arrival in the US
11-09-2009 | Biometrics taken for 10 year green card
01-20-2010 | Approved- 10 GC ordered for production

06-22-2013 | N-400 package sent

Filed: Other Timeline

Can we get married in the states and go throught the paperwork while i live there (starting december)?

Not with intent, as you obviously do. You can go, get married, and then return to Canada tho.

Once the paperwork is started how long until I can live down there with her and work?

depends on what paperwork you do. If you try to get around the system and just leave Canada for the US at Christmas, get married and stay, you can stay indefinitely. You can't work tho until you get an EAD or Green Card. Which could take several months.

check the USCIS website for the district office where your girlfriend lives. It'll be quite some time before you have one tho.

If I stay down there and wait for papers to come, can I return to Canada when I want to during that time?

not and be allowed back in to the US, no.

Do I have no choice but to stay in Canada after we file the paperwork until it comes through?

pretty much, yeah. Them's the breaks

check the USCIS website for the petition forms. You'll need an I-130, and an I-129F first for the K3 petitions. Then there's the medical exam, and a trip to Montreal or Vancouver for the interview. Then once you're in the US, there's the EAD and AOS applications.

The cost will all depend on what you choose to do at Christmas. I highly suggest you read the guides

above, and if you still have questions, ask some more.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Not with intent, as you obviously do. You can go, get married, and then return to Canada tho.

depends on what paperwork you do. If you try to get around the system and just leave Canada for the US at Christmas, get married and stay, you can stay indefinitely. You can't work tho until you get an EAD or Green Card. Which could take several months.

check the USCIS website for the district office where your girlfriend lives. It'll be quite some time before you have one tho.

not and be allowed back in to the US, no.

pretty much, yeah. Them's the breaks

check the USCIS website for the petition forms. You'll need an I-130, and an I-129F first for the K3 petitions. Then there's the medical exam, and a trip to Montreal or Vancouver for the interview. Then once you're in the US, there's the EAD and AOS applications.

The cost will all depend on what you choose to do at Christmas. I highly suggest you read the guides

above, and if you still have questions, ask some more.

Just for your information I just got my K3 and it took 10 months start to finish. Would have been quicker if we handn't had the forms for the I130 sent back 4 times....

Are you getting married in the US ? If so then it would be better to get a K1 cos you'll have much less hassle afterwards but don't know how long this takes....

Also look into doing Direct Consular filing from Canada.... it all depends on where you want to live while you wait for your visa.... we were both in London at the time so it was ok for us to wait for 10 months in the UK until I got the K3....

R./

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where do you two currently live? Is she living in the U.S. and you are living in Canada? If so, you can't do DCF from Canada as they will only do it for U.S. citizens that are actually living in Canada.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
Where do you two currently live? Is she living in the U.S. and you are living in Canada? If so, you can't do DCF from Canada as they will only do it for U.S. citizens that are actually living in Canada.

She is living in the USA. I am currently living in Canada. She cannot come here as she has her obligations there for another 6 months.

Filed: Timeline

G,

The basic issue here is something that you should discuss in a consultation with an immigration attorney.

Yodrak

I am Canadian. My American Girlfriend and I are planning on getting married on Christmas. Now we are trying to decode this whole process. I have searched topics on this site for quite a while before posting.

My questions are :

G

Timeline

What are the cost associated with seeing an attorney ?

G,

The basic issue here is something that you should discuss in a consultation with an immigration attorney.

Yodrak

My questions are :

G

Edited by GA&CA

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have more complicated issues than you do.

During the summer I consulted with Mark Ellis "Marc Ellis" <marcellislaw@gmail.com> and with Laurel Scott "Laurel Scott" <laurelscott@visacentral.net> who gave me advice on different aspects of the issues I had with my fiance. (She is now my wife -- thanks Laurel -- and that is no diss on Marc, who was also very helpful on the aspects he addressed). They charge "reasonable" fees (less than a couple hundred dollars, probably) for a consultation. Laurel Scott specializes in difficult cases and yours does not sound difficult to me. (But I'm no attorney, so I needed to consult with a couple.) Mine isn't really difficult, either, as it turns out, just with some aspects a bit out of the ordinary.

Now, there are K1 shops who will charge you a lot (more than $1500) for the service of working the process to get a K1 visa. If you pay attention, are reasonably good with detail, and read these sites, you probably don't need that level of service.

But, as Yokrak says, you probably should at least consult with an immigration attorney. Other good ones, besides the two I mention, can for sure be found around here.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We're a Can-Am couple, and if we could do it over again, would opt for K1 instead of K3. For some reason, K1s got Montreal interviews quicker than K3s. Of course, all this could change tomorrow.

My suggestion is to choose a visa and get set for 6-12 months apart. The American can visit Canada, and you may (or may not) have success visiting the States.

It's a long journey, you'll need a plan to get through the separation, and that's the reality check you need. Be careful of lawyers who promise a quick visa. They may cost more time and money than if you submit the forms yourself.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Are you getting married in the US ? If so then it would be better to get a K1 cos you'll have much less hassle afterwards but don't know how long this takes....

Once you are married (should you do this at Christmas), K-1 is no longer an option!!!

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline

Cost of a lawyer will depend on who you go to. My husband went to 2 separate lawyers, the first didn't do anything for over 6 months, just "was too busy to start our case just yet" and the second filled out all the paperwork wrong, sent it to the wrong USCIS office, and delayed us a further 3 or 4 months. After the second one, my husband finally decided that maybe I should just do the paperwork myself :P

The monetary cost may or may not be greater than the cost of the time it takes to get a lawyer to file your case for you. Personally, I see no reason why a couple who does not have any criminal history or over-stay history, on the immigrants part, should need a lawyer.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We used a lawyer, as reba states if ur case is pretty straight forward (no criminal record, overstays etc) a lawyer doesnt do much for you. Really al lyour paying is for big bucks for them to fill out the paperwork. You stil have to gather all the evidence (long form birth cert, criminal check, school history etc) Not saying you shouldn't use a lawyer. Best to look over the stickies at the top of the forums and see if its a task your willing to handle. VJ is a great resource, but again its a public forum, and not al can be taken as gospel. If I were to do it over again 9straight fwd case) I would save the $2500 and do it on our own, lol Lot of examples on the gallery on hwo to fil out the forms, etc etc.

As other have stated K1 for fiance (not married) and can't get married until you have the k1 visa (otherwise you go the K3 or cr-1 route. K1 normally the fastest

k3, cr-1 route for married people. One can do the K3, cr-1 at the same time. Normally the K3 is faster than the cr-1, but not always the case. Again plus and minuses between the k3 and cr-1. Take time and read the stickies, It isnt that difficult. good info onthe Canada forum on VJ as well. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.