Cathi

Checking in on my MENA peeps

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congrats on the pregnancy Mithra! I've been struck with serious baby fever myself lately but I know I need to keep it in check for at least 3-4 more years.

I posted here months back when Y was visiting me in the US and we were first starting the research into the visa process. Some people encouraged us to get married while he was here and file AOS. We did not do that. Although him going back to Morocco was physically painful (the entire day I literally felt like I couldn't breathe), I was not financially or emotionally ready to be married at that time.

So he's back in Morocco and it's OK-not ideal but we're able to talk twice a day on skype. I finally landed a job; unfortunately it's only seasonal. But I moved to NYC and I think this job could be a lead-in to better things. Plus, Y will have more opportunities in NYC than other places.

He's planning to come back to visit in the fall. He was going to come earlier but it hasn't been a great year for him financially either-he's in tourism and hasn't gotten much business. I know he feels really bad about that. I don't know when I can come visit him again. Hopefully I'll have a job with vacation time in a few months but who knows how much. I want to see his family again. His nieces are growing up and he has a new baby nephew I've never met.

We're leaning towards getting married in the US and then doing a CR-1. We did research and the fact that he could work immediately was the tipping point. He HATES not having work and if we're living in NYC on my nonprofit salary, that could be really tight.

September 15th will be two years to the day we met and our relationship keeps getting better. Despite all the logistical problems and the tough road we have ahead of us, I feel very, very lucky.

Edited by futureberberwife

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Mimo, sorry to hear your husband got hurt on the job but glad to hear everything is going good with you guys. Sounds like you're starting to enjoy your summer.

Nothing fun for summer for me but the boys left a week ago to visit family in Yemen with their dad. My husband is on his way home from a three week visit with his family. The girl and I have been hanging out while they've all been gone. My big news is that my husband and I are expecting our second baby girl together in December. luv.gif

awwwwww.....mabrookulations Mithra!!! I wish you the best, and I wish you a comfortable pregnancy. I loved being pregnant!!

Sorry your husband hurt his back! My husband also recently hurt his back and was out from work over a week, but he's still in pain. He's a chef, so standing on his feet all day doesn't help, especially fasting now during Ramadan. Hope your husband's surgery helps him!

thanks sweets. Wo...your hubby is a chef? I would LOVE if my husband knew how to cook

Hey Mimo !

So sorry for the trials and tribulations... but congrats for all the successes !

Insha'allah every year will be better and better.

Here it is the summer of work... muchhh work. Perhaps a vacation is in order..........

I need a vacation too...

we (daughter and I) are in Ramallah until the end of August...and we are still waiting for I-130 that I applied for last july, yep almost 365 days of nothing sad.png

my husband is enjoying every sec with our daughter until we leave, it will be very hard to leave him

leaving is always difficult..hopefully your i-130 will be approved before you leave so at east you know you will be nearing the end...*hugs*

Timeline

Hi Mimo!! Sorry to hear about your husband's injury. I hope he feels much better after the surgery. I am going to help a friend of mine cook for a big Eid party this year. I think I'll make some homemade sambusa biggrin.png .

The last couple months were pretty rough. I have PCOS, have had it for years, and I get cysts every so often. But 2 months ago I found out I had 2 big ones on one ovary very close together. The only thing they could do was remove it before they burst. I had to be in the hospital over a month and a half because I had bleeding complications from surgery. Worst month and a half of my life!! I applied for an expedite on my I-129F petition but it was denied dead.gif (though I have made a real friend in my senator's immigrant unit - the officer is my advocate). Doctors aren't optimistic about my fertility prospects which depresses me but there are worse things in life. I soldier on, one day at a time. Almost 8 months and no NOA2 crying.gif . As soon as I am cleared by my doctors I'm going to go visit my fiance. He is doing pretty well. He got a promotion at work and has a business trip in Switzerland coming up after Eid. I'm thinking I'll tag along, health permitting. I'm trying to stay optimistic that I'll get some good news soon.

Mithra - CONGRATS!! Awesome news. Hope your boys are having fun in Yemen! It's very hot now though!

So sorry t hear of your surgery and hospital stay...I had to have emergency surgery last November, 2 weeks after my husband arrived on his visa, and I was in there 3 weeks..I HATE hospitals!!!!

When my husband was in AP I made friends with 2 people at my senators office, they were both beyond wonderful to me and us. When my husband finally arrived the first thing he wanted to do was meet the 2 people who advocated for him.

Wow, a trip to Switzerland sounds fabulous, such a beautiful country, have fun, after what you just went through, you deserve a nice vacation!!!

Timeline

Congrats on the pregnancy Mithra! I've been struck with serious baby fever myself lately but I know I need to keep it in check for at least 3-4 more years.

I posted here months back when Y was visiting me in the US and we were first starting the research into the visa process. Some people encouraged us to get married while he was here and file AOS. We did not do that. Although him going back to Morocco was physically painful (the entire day I literally felt like I couldn't breathe), I was not financially or emotionally ready to be married at that time.

So he's back in Morocco and it's OK-not ideal but we're able to talk twice a day on skype. I finally landed a job; unfortunately it's only seasonal. But I moved to NYC and I think this job could be a lead-in to better things. Plus, Y will have more opportunities in NYC than other places.

He's planning to come back to visit in the fall. He was going to come earlier but it hasn't been a great year for him financially either-he's in tourism and hasn't gotten much business. I know he feels really bad about that. I don't know when I can come visit him again. Hopefully I'll have a job with vacation time in a few months but who knows how much. I want to see his family again. His nieces are growing up and he has a new baby nephew I've never met.

We're leaning towards getting married in the US and then doing a CR-1. We did research and the fact that he could work immediately was the tipping point. He HATES not having work and if we're living in NYC on my nonprofit salary, that could be really tight.

September 15th will be two years to the day we met and our relationship keeps getting better. Despite all the logistical problems and the tough road we have ahead of us, I feel very, very lucky.

I always wanted to live in NYC, what an amazing city to live and work in. Will you get married when he visits in the fall?

I know what you mean about being apart, it isn't easy. Thank goodness for technology, being able to talk via webcam was our saving grace when we were separated..

Timeline

It's been a bad summer for us. :( I was hospitalized for 9 weeks, with more than 3 of those weeks in the ICU.

But, my husband is an amazing human being.

It was a long time to be in the hospital, but I didn't have a choice. He did, and yet he was with me every single day and night. He went home for a few hours in the middle of the day to shower and take care of the cats, but otherwise he was at the hospital with me...taking care of me in every way and sleeping in a pull out bed next to me. The only other person who has taken care of me like he did is my mom, and if you know my mom, you know that's saying a lot. I feel loved and safe.

He is my moon and my stars: my light in the darkness.

WE NEED A VACATION!!!!

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

Timeline

It's been a bad summer for us. sad.png I was hospitalized for 9 weeks, with more than 3 of those weeks in the ICU.

But, my husband is an amazing human being.

It was a long time to be in the hospital, but I didn't have a choice. He did, and yet he was with me every single day and night. He went home for a few hours in the middle of the day to shower and take care of the cats, but otherwise he was at the hospital with me...taking care of me in every way and sleeping in a pull out bed next to me. The only other person who has taken care of me like he did is my mom, and if you know my mom, you know that's saying a lot. I feel loved and safe.

He is my moon and my stars: my light in the darkness.

WE NEED A VACATION!!!!

Oh no, I hope you are felling better and on the road to recovery. I hear you on the vacation thing, we need one too!!!

Timeline

An update for my husband: He has FINALLY found a job in his field, at a great company with great people, he starts August 6th. He will continue to work both jobs until the end of the year as we are helping to pay for my son's college tuition. My husband is a far better person than my ex husband, my ex isn't contributing one red cent to help my son with his education, it has all fallen in my lap. Life is good for us. Now if it would stop raining for a few days, maybe we could enjoy the summer, it has been crappy weather....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

My big news is that my husband and I are expecting our second baby girl together in December. luv.gif

Congrats!!!! My husband and I will be having boy number three in October. I wouldn't know what to do with a girl ;)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you and congrats to you on boy #3! I have both and I have to say so far girls are harder! That's my experience anyways. My little girl is more rough and tumble than both my boys were at her age. She's sassy and scrappy! My boys were sweethearts at her age. :)

Congrats!!!! My husband and I will be having boy number three in October. I wouldn't know what to do with a girl ;)

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Thanks. I'm working on it. :)

Great to hear about your husband's new job!!!

Oh no, I hope you are felling better and on the road to recovery. I hear you on the vacation thing, we need one too!!!

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.