19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am new here and I am getting mixed info.

I am LPR and my wife is in USA on student visa. Since F2A category is current, I am wondering if I can file concurrently I130 and I485 for her. USCIS page says:

Who can file concurrently?

Concurrent filing is allowed in the following instances:

• If an immigrant visa number is immediately available

But also below it says:

A petition and application may be filed concurrently when there is a visa number immediately available at the time of filing. Concurrent filing is always allowed for all immediate relatives of a United States citizen, since there are no numeric limitations in this category. However, in some categories, even if there is a visa number available at the time of filing, concurrent filing is not allowed as the intending immigrant must have an approved basis of eligibility (i.e. an approved petition) before being allowed to file for adjustment of status.

For me its bit contradicting info.

Regards,

Michal C.

08/12/2013 - Concurrent filing of I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 sent.
08/15/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
08/20/2013 - Acceptance Confirmation text messages (4) and emails (4).
08/21/2013 - Check cashed.
08/24/2013 - Four I-797C notice of action in mail.
08/26/2013 - I-797C for Biometrics notice. Appointment scheduled on 09/16
09/07/2013 - I-485 case status updated to RFE and the RFE notice mailed out.
09/16/2013 - biometric appointment
10/16/2013 - Received Email/SMS about I-765 EAD Production Ordered. Nochanges in I-131 AP status
10/21/2013 - Received Second Email/ SMS about I-765 EAD Production Ordered
10/24/2013 - Received Third Email/ SMS about I-765 EAD mailed to address.
10/24/2013 - Received Fourth Email/SMS about I-765 EAD approved. Case status is back to Post Decision Activity

10/26/2013 - Received combo card in mail

10/28/2013 - I-485 case status changed to Testing and Interview

10/31/2013 - Received Email with interview date 12/05

12/05/2013 - Approved on the spot during Interview:)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It's actually quite clear, if you don't have an approved I-130, then you can't file concurrently. An immigrant visa number is only available if a petition has been approved.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Thank you for reply.

08/12/2013 - Concurrent filing of I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 sent.
08/15/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
08/20/2013 - Acceptance Confirmation text messages (4) and emails (4).
08/21/2013 - Check cashed.
08/24/2013 - Four I-797C notice of action in mail.
08/26/2013 - I-797C for Biometrics notice. Appointment scheduled on 09/16
09/07/2013 - I-485 case status updated to RFE and the RFE notice mailed out.
09/16/2013 - biometric appointment
10/16/2013 - Received Email/SMS about I-765 EAD Production Ordered. Nochanges in I-131 AP status
10/21/2013 - Received Second Email/ SMS about I-765 EAD Production Ordered
10/24/2013 - Received Third Email/ SMS about I-765 EAD mailed to address.
10/24/2013 - Received Fourth Email/SMS about I-765 EAD approved. Case status is back to Post Decision Activity

10/26/2013 - Received combo card in mail

10/28/2013 - I-485 case status changed to Testing and Interview

10/31/2013 - Received Email with interview date 12/05

12/05/2013 - Approved on the spot during Interview:)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

A visa number is available when the PD is current in a category. Approval of the I-130 has nothing to do with it.

As long a the PD in the F2a category is current, there is an available visa number. It is perfectly legal to file to adjust in the F2a caregory by filing the I-130 and I-485 together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

A visa number is available when the PD is current in a category. Approval of the I-130 has nothing to do with it.

As long a the PD in the F2a category is current, there is an available visa number. It is perfectly legal to file to adjust in the F2a caregory by filing the I-130 and I-485 together.

you're the one giving wrong information

only immediate family members of USC can file concurrently. nothing has changed about LPR petitioning for spouses and unmarried children under 21. they cannot adjust status in country unless they are legally here with a valid visa. immediate family members do no go by the visa bulletin.

what has become current is the priority date for the month of August. the priority date is given on the approved 130 and that has been sent to the NVC waiting for consular processing. the wait until August was 3 years. now, having an approved i130 at the NVC stage, the NVC will process the petitions immediately and soon after they will have their interview in their country of origin.

and for new ones, the petition will file the i130, it will be approved and sent to the NVC, where the second part of the process starts, just like a USC

no more waiting in line after the i130 has been approved.

now if the immigration reform comes along and they change the law and LPRs are allowed to file in the US, that's another story.

Timeline

only immediate family members of USC can file concurrently. nothing has changed about LPR petitioning for spouses and unmarried children under 21. they cannot adjust status in country unless they are legally here with a valid visa. immediate family members do no go by the visa bulletin.

what has become current is the priority date for the month of August. the priority date is given on the approved 130 and that has been sent to the NVC waiting for consular processing. the wait until August was 3 years. now, having an approved i130 at the NVC stage, the NVC will process the petitions immediately and soon after they will have their interview in their country of origin.

and for new ones, the petition will file the i130, it will be approved and sent to the NVC, where the second part of the process starts, just like a USC

now if the immigration reform comes along and they change the law and LPRs are allowed to file in the US, that's another story.

Read the instructions for Form I-485. Look at the part that said who can file this form. http://www.ilw.com/forms/i-485instructions.pdf

"Who May File This Form I-485? 1. Based on an immigrant petition. You may apply to adjust your status if; B. You are filing this application with a completed relative petition, . . . which, if approved, would make an immigrant visa number immediately available to you."

A completed relative petition would be the completed I-130.

NOTICE THE "IF APPROVED." IT DOES NOT SAY "WHEN APPROVED."

A beneficiary in the F2a category with a current PD has the legal basis to apply to adjust concurrently with the I-130. If the I130 is approved, a visa number does become immediately available to the F2a beneficiary. That is why the I-485 can be filed BEFORE THE I-130 IS APPROVED.

Get your facts straight.

Timeline

Wrong. Google "USCIS and concurrent filing." NO WHERE DOES IT SAY ONLY IMMEDIATE RELATIBES OF A USC CAN FILE CONCURRENTLY.http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=32d80a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=32d80a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Concurrent Filing

Concurrent filing is when an immigrant petition and the adjustment application (application for a green card, Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) are filed at the same time and mailed together with all the required filing fees and supporting documentation to the same filing location.

• Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens living in the United States
  • Most employment based applicants and their eligible family members when a visa number is immediately available
  • Special Immigrant Juveniles
  • Self petitioning battered spouse or child if
  • The abusive spouse or parent is a U.S. citizen, or
  • Certain Armed Forces Members applying for a special immigrant visa under Section101(a)(27)(K) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)Special Immigrant International Organization Employee or family member

Wrong. Google "USCIS and concurrent filing." NO WHERE DOES IT SAY ONLY IMMEDIATE RELATIBES OF A USC CAN FILE CONCURRENTLY.http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=32d80a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=32d80a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Concurrent Filing

Concurrent filing is when an immigrant petition and the adjustment application (application for a green card, Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) are filed at the same time and mailed together with all the required filing fees and supporting documentation to the same filing location.

• Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens living in the United States
  • Most employment based applicants and their eligible family members when a visa number is immediately available
  • Special Immigrant Juveniles
  • Certain Armed Forces Members applying for a special immigrant visa under Section101(a)(27)(K) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)Special Immigrant International Organization Employee or family member

I highly suggest you read the above bullets again.

Pay attention to the "or" at the end of the line above "If an immigrant visa number is immediately available". Note none of the other lines ended with an "or".

The correct interpretation is this:

the bulleting is confusing, but this is the only interpretation makes sense to me.

It also explains why employment-based is mentioned explicitly.

Ask yourself: If all can file concurrently when an immigrant visa number is available, isn't EB covered already? Why would USCIS bother to list employment-based in a seperate bullet?

These general info pages on the USCIS website is not always very clear. The actual law says:

INA: ACT 245 - ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS OF NONIMMIGRANT TO THAT OF PERSON ADMITTED FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE

Sec. 245. [8 U.S.C. 1255]

(a) The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification as a VAWA self-petitioner may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if

(1) the alien makes an application for such adjustment,

(2) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence, and

(3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed.

Also, read this:

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-3481/0-0-0-4484.htm

A petitioner may file an I-130 immigrant visa petition and the beneficiary may file an I-485 adjustment application concurrently. ... In order to file concurrently, the I-130 petitioner and the I-485 applicant (who is also the I-130 beneficiary) must be able to meet all the requirements of both forms. For example:

And then it goes list examples when someone would not be able to file concurrently. One of which is:

If the petitioner is an LPR and second preference visa numbers are not “current,” the beneficiary cannot apply for adjustment of status. Again, the I-130 would have to be filed separately at the appropriate service center.

But according to your view, if the petitioner is an LPR (and thus it's in a family preference category), then they can never file concurrently. Then why does it matter whether the "second preference visa numbers are not current"? Why not just say "If the petitioner is an LPR, they cannot apply..."?

Filed: Country: Cameroon
Timeline

@ happygiverny

Can you please complete your timeline?

I have contacted 3 reputable lawyers on the phone and they say you can file concurrently.

Google this over the internet, there is no one lawyer that has said you you cannot file from reputable law firms like murthy, Oh law, ron Gotcher and trust legal sides like avvo.com. If you are an immigration lawyer, then I guess you are the only one that disagrees. Immigration laws are not black and white, that is what you need lawyers at times.

I could find the link though, there was an area in the immigration that Ron Gotcher quoted that clearly supports this.

Either all these lawyers are plain stupid after going through law school or you are the only one that can interpret the law better than these folks.

I will go with the advise of someone that does this for a living rather taking a random advise off the web...... (no offense intended)

To enlighten yourself more, you should click on this link.

Go to that forum and have this discussion with lawyer Ron Gotcher and be enlightened dude.

I-130 APPLICATION VSC

--------------------------------------------------

08/24/2012 Priority Date

08/16/2013 case transferred to NSC

08/27/13 Approval (NOA2)

08/30/13 Hard copy of NOA2 received

09/04/13 NVC returned file to USCIS

I-485 APPLICATION

-------------------------------------------------------------

08/6/13 I-485, 765, and 131 package mailed

8/7/13 package received by USCIS chicago

8/12/13 text and email of acceptance received

8/15/13 hard copies of I-797c receipt notices received

8/19/13 FP notice recieved, FP scheduled for 09/06/13

8/21/13 Successful FP walk in

9/3/13 Status changed to testing and interview

9/6/13 Email for interview scheduled for 10/9/13 at 2:30 pm in Philadelphia

10/7/13 EAD and AP approved

10/9/13 Interview lasted less than 5 mins and was approved on the spot

10/17/13 combo EAD and AP card received, but don't need it since GC has been approved already

10/21/13 10-year GC received, wow so much good things happening. THANK YOU JESUS!

F2A is not current yet; it is current in August, and then you can file concurrently. If a petition, if approved, will give you an immediately available visa number, then you can file concurrently. That hasn't been the case for LPR petitions for a long long time, but apparently will be the case next month.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Pay attention to the "or" at the end of the line above "If an immigrant visa number is immediately available". Note none of the other lines ended with an "or".

the bulleting is confusing, but this is the only interpretation makes sense to me.

Ask yourself: If all can file concurrently when an immigrant visa number is available, isn't EB covered already? Why would USCIS bother to list employment-based in a seperate bullet?

I highly suggest you read the instructions for Form I-130 and I-485 instead of an informational website.

In particular, read who can file the I-485 concurrently with the I-130. It's part 1 subpart B.

Timeline

I also highly suggest you read this - AVVO immigration lawyers who state it's okay to file concurrently starting in August for F2a cases.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/for-filing-f2a--i130-i485---my-wife-has-to-be-in-t-1329743.html

Maybe they are all wrong an you are right.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline

I also highly suggest you read this - AVVO immigration lawyers who state it's okay to file concurrently starting in August for F2a cases.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/for-filing-f2a--i130-i485---my-wife-has-to-be-in-t-1329743.html

Maybe they are all wrong an you are right.

In the end, I will be filing. I hope that everybody else who can file does file. However, if fewer people file, I will not be overly saddend. They made their choice and it means that there will be fewer people in the line. We tell you what to do or how to do it, but we can encourage you and provide you with all of the pertinant information. When it comes down to it, on Aug 1, each person will have to decide whether or not they will be sending in their forms or not. I will.

Life is GREAT! SMILE! smile.png

I-130 Approved July 2013 (PD Dec 2011)

AOS DBVB

07/30/2013 - AOS packet sent via Express mail (I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/01/2013 (day 1) - Delivered to USCIS Chicago

08/06/2013 (day 6 ) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

08/08/2013 (day 8 ) - Checks cashed

08/10/2013 (day 10) - Received 3 NOA's by mail (I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/16/2013 (day 16 ) - NOA for Biometrics appointment. Date set for 08/28/2013

08/19/2013 (day 19) - Successful walk-in Biometrics

08/28/2013 (day 28) - Biometrics appointment (Original)

9/11/2013 (day 42) - I-485 status online changed to "testing & interview"

9/26/2013 (day 57) - EAD status online changed to "card production", I-131 approved.

9/30/2013 (day 61) - EAD/AP card production ordered

10/04/2013 (day 65) - EAD/AP card mailed

10/07/2013 (day 68) - EAD/AP card received. *USCIS spelling error on card so they will have to redo the card.

10/16/2013 (day 77) - EAD/AP card mailed back to USCIS due to USCIS spelling error on card.

11/23/2013 (day 115) - EAD/AP card received with correct name.

01/02/2014 (day 155) - I-485 status showing the interview date updated - Interview on Feb 4, 2014.

01/04/2014 (day 157 ) - Received NOA about the interview appointment on Feb 4, 2014

02/04/2014 (day 187) - Interview @ SLC

02/04/2014 (day 187) - I-485 Approved

02/13/2014 (day 197 ) - Green Card Received (10 Year GC)

--------------------------

Citizenship [bB]

08/17/2015 - N-400 packet sent via Express mail

08/19/2015 (day 2) - Delivered to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

08/20/2015 (day 3) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

08/25/2015 (day 8) - Received NOA by mail

08/29/2015 (day 12) - NOA for Biometrics appointment. Date set for 09/08/2015

09/01/2015 (day 15) - Successful walk-in Biometrics @ a different location

12/17/2015 (day 123) - In line for interview

12/21/2015 (day 127) - Interview scheduled

12/24/2015 (day 130) - Interview letter received with interview date of Jan 27, 2016

01/27/2016 (day 164) - N400 Interview--Application approved.

02/07/2016 (day 175) - Oath ceremony letter arrived.Oath scheduled for 02/18/2016

02/18/2018 (day 186) - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.