• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Congratulations!! woooooohoooooooo :dance::dance: <-- the Visa dance!

Carla (F)

charles...I filled it in and brought it, and was told that was for immigrant visas, and they didn't want it! (k-1's are non-immigrant visas)

carlahmsb4.gif

congrats to you!

I-129F sent: August 18th, 2006

NOA2: October 2nd, 2006

Packet 3 returned to Mtl: October 26th, 2006.

Medical: January 10th, 2007

Interview: January 23rd, 2007, at 2:30. APPROVED

Entry to the US: Feb 28th, 2007 POE Ivy Lea

Married: March 2nd, 2007

AOS/EAD sent May 4th, 2007

NOA1s for all 3 AOS and my EAD May 14th, dated for May 10th

EAD touched May 28th,29th, 2007, Youngest daughter's AOS touched May 29th, 2007

Biometrics: May 30th, 2007

All cases touched May 31, 2007, June 5th, 2007, August 1st, 2007

All 3 AOS transferred to California July 5th, 2007

EAD Approved July 27th, 2007

Finally movement on my AOS, touched on Feb 22 & 24th

GC May 11 2008, date of april 29th on them.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! Hooray!

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

:dance::dance::dance: CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING VISA!!!!!!!! HAVE A HAPPY REUNION!!!!!

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone! :D EricM, I'm so glad I could help, I see you got a date, yay!! Charles, they didn't ask for the DS-230II, but I did fill out and bring a copy.

Okay so..what happened. This will probably be long winded, so I apologize! I got there sometime between 9:30 and 9:40 for my 10am appointment. There were several lines(9:30 appointments, 10am appointments, US citizens) and thanks to VJ I knew that I didn't have to wait in them, but I still wasn't sure what to do. There were no security guards outside, which I was expecting, so I stood in front of the doors and gestured to the guard with my passport and letter and he waved me in. Security was just like an airport, empty the pockets, take off you belt, coat, that sort of stuff. They went through my file folder/organizer thing pretty throughly and the one guard made a really big point of telling me not to open my medical report, even if someone tells me to. I heard him telling this to the K1 couple who came in after me. Not sure who they think would tell us to open the medical, but whatever.

After this you go up a flight of stairs and a guard will get the elevator for you. On the 20th floor you go through security again, same deal as before. The guards here seemed more friendly. They also give you a sheet that tells you what order to put your documents in, which I still have and is as follows:

-passport

-photographs(print name on back)

-OF 156/DS-156

-DS-156K

-birth certificate (long form)

-marriage certificate

-termination of all previous marriages

-police certifcate(s)

-court records (where applicable)

-affidavit of support

-medical

After you clear security, one of the guards brings you to the little hall that K visas are processed in. It's just four chairs in front of some teller like windows. I put my forms in order and started the waiting. It's hard for me to say how much time passed, I kept looking at my watch but wasn't really registering what it was saying. I was really nervous! A lady came to the window, maybe 10 minutes after I sat down, and called me up first. She asked for the documents that I put in order and went through them while I stood there. I forgot to make a copy of my BC but she didn't seemed too concerned. She asked a couple questions about what was what in the affidavit, but that was about it. She then said she needed to look over the forms and that I should have a seat. I started worrying a little bit that something was wrong because I thought that she would send me to the cashier right away. She took another 10 or 15 minutes before she came back to the window and had me go pay the cashier. The cashier is just down the hall, which is filled with chairs and people waiting. I returned the receipt to her and waited and waited. She went through the same process with both of the other couples.

Eventually someone came and took my index fingers prints and told me that someone would interview me in a few minutes. It was probably a little longer than that before the interviewer came out. He called one of the other girls up first and her fiance turned to me and said "I wonder why they didn't call you, you're first!", but a second later he called my name and the girl came back, I guess she had told him that I was supposed to go first, or else he had picked up my file but called her name. Not sure what happened there. I went to window 5(everything else was done at window 2), signed the DS-156K, and then he started asking me questions. He asked more than I expected, given everyone elses experience. He asked how we met, and when I told him he wanted to know why my friend thought we'd be so good together, why she wanted to set us up, how we both know her. He was very interested in how our relationship started, how long of a drive it was to visit, how often we visited. He asked me a couple questions more than once, I don't know if he forgot or if he was testing my answers. He wanted to look at my pictures and I offered him some airline stuff from our trip to Germany(he seemed to like that we had taken a vacation together). He was curious(on a personal level it seemed) about how much engagement rings cost and looked at my receipt when I offered it to him.

I felt like he was questioning me forever, but it was probably only 5 minutes or so. I was starting to worry that he was going to deny me. Finally he said "Okay, everything is good." He told me I could come back at 1pm. I followed the exit signs and took the elevator back down. You end up in the lobby that has the Starbucks in it. I was back at the hotel(the Renaissance, which is literally just around the corner) by about 11:30. I had lunch at a nice cafe that is kiddie corner to the Starbucks, it was really good so if you have a little time, it's a great place. A couple minutes to 1pm, I went back in, through security. They don't give you anything to bring back, so just tell them that you are there to pick up your K visa. I was in and out of there within 5 or 10 minutes. I was the last of the three of us to get there(all approved, yay!!), and the lady came out right away, explained the visa and sent us on our way. It's real pretty and colourful.

Sorry for the length, hopefully it makes sense and is helpful to someone :) If I remember anything else, I'll post later.

-april

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks so much for sharing!! I'm still really debating whether we should try to transfer to Vancouver :) ... once we get to the point of course. lol!

Edited by riblet

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Whoohoo! Congrats to you both! :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks for the post.

Monique

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.