Lobaloo

After Wedding

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi..

Two weeks after my wedding my best friend is getting married in Ireland!

Will i be able to leave the country and go to the wedding or do i need to wait till i have my adjustment of status?

How long does that take?

Cheers

File for EAD/AP at the same time with AOS. It will take 2-3 months to be approved. AOS is taking around 9-10 months, unless you have an interview.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Hi..

Two weeks after my wedding my best friend is getting married in Ireland!

Will i be able to leave the country and go to the wedding or do i need to wait till i have my adjustment of status?

How long does that take?

Cheers

If you leave before you have Advance Parole granted, your adjustment of status is considered abandoned. Your K1 is void when you use it to enter the first time. It would mean starting all over with a spouse petition and visa application (since you would be married). If you want to attend the wedding in Ireland, your entry and wedding would have to be changed until after Ireland.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

If you leave before you have Advance Parole granted, your adjustment of status is considered abandoned. Your K1 is void when you use it to enter the first time. It would mean starting all over with a spouse petition and visa application (since you would be married). If you want to attend the wedding in Ireland, your entry and wedding would have to be changed until after Ireland.

Yeah, that's not an option, our wedding is all planned for the 21st Sept...

Does your K1 visa activate electronically on entry or could i enter as a tourist, have my ceremony without registering it, go back for my friends wedding and then activate the K1 on my next return?

That sounds a bit too complicated though!

Does your K1 visa activate electronically on entry or could i enter as a tourist, have my ceremony without registering it, go back for my friends wedding and then activate the K1 on my next return?

No, because then you'd be entering on the K1 already married, thus voiding it, unless you mean just a pretend wedding?

It does sound complicated.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To my mind, that would be extremely dangerous even if possible. Having a wedding but not "an actual wedding" have been discussed numerous times on VJ and the verdict seems to be that if it looks like you had a wedding, you risk not being able to adjust. When you file for the next stage you will need proof and if you slip up at any point and name a date where you were not in the country on a K1, it could cause you big problems. The limitations of this visa are you come, you stay and you get married, and you wait.

I'm sorry but I think you will have to miss your friends wedding - I am sure they will understand. Your future with your spouse is the most important thing. Send them an extra nice present instead, as you will be saving airfare (which is what some of my relatives have been doing for me which is very appreciated :)). Perhaps you could make plans to share a visit with them later on when travelling is possible again!

Zoe

Timeline

To my mind, that would be extremely dangerous even if possible. Having a wedding but not "an actual wedding" have been discussed numerous times on VJ and the verdict seems to be that if it looks like you had a wedding, you risk not being able to adjust. When you file for the next stage you will need proof and if you slip up at any point and name a date where you were not in the country on a K1, it could cause you big problems. The limitations of this visa are you come, you stay and you get married, and you wait.

I'm sorry but I think you will have to miss your friends wedding - I am sure they will understand. Your future with your spouse is the most important thing. Send them an extra nice present instead, as you will be saving airfare (which is what some of my relatives have been doing for me which is very appreciated smile.png). Perhaps you could make plans to share a visit with them later on when travelling is possible again!

Zoe

Yeah, i thought it was a bit of a long shot but thought i'd ask the question anyway. My friends totally understand, as there on the same boat but waiting till they get married, then applying for the spouse visa, his girlfriend lives in New York. We're talking about a honeymoon together, somewhere nice in the states!

Thanks Zoe, i really appreciate your help.

Stew

We're talking about a honeymoon together, somewhere nice in the states!

When we were going to marry in the states, I had planned to do a US road-trip - maybe down one or the other coast. I still think that would make a brilliant honeymoon!

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

When we were going to marry in the states, I had planned to do a US road-trip - maybe down one or the other coast. I still think that would make a brilliant honeymoon!

We're already doing that just to get to the wedding.. cool.png ... my fiancee lives in santa barbara ca but we're getting married in her home town portland oregon sept 21st!

We're already doing that just to get to the wedding.. cool.png ... my fiancee lives in santa barbara ca but we're getting married in her home town portland oregon sept 21st!

Sorry to jump into the conversation but you will have the most beautiful drive! My fiancé is in Oregon so I'm moving over in a few weeks (hopefully!) and last time I was there we drove from LA to Portland via coastal roads. It really is an incredible drive in places!

Timeline

Sorry to jump into the conversation but you will have the most beautiful drive! My fiancé is in Oregon so I'm moving over in a few weeks (hopefully!) and last time I was there we drove from LA to Portland via coastal roads. It really is an incredible drive in places!

Hi.. Yeah, we done the same trip last summer but in the opposite direction and it was amazing, looking forward to it again!

You can't enter as a tourist as the K1 visa is actually stuck to an inside page of your passport. Once you have it, you will only be able to enter the US on the K1 visa.

Timeline

You can't enter as a tourist as the K1 visa is actually stuck to an inside page of your passport. Once you have it, you will only be able to enter the US on the K1 visa.

Hi

Yeah i kind of thought that and had lots of information since posting this, was just trying to way it all up and if i could have made it back my parents were hoping to plan a big party as well, as my dad's health is stopping him fly to the states for the wedding. My fiancee going to fly over for our friends wedding, as she's the maid of honour, said she'll take a cardboard cut out of me with her!!! ha..

Thanks for the Interview info as well, since i got my interview date, I've been thinking a lot about the questions i'm going to be asked.

Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.