wildhaze

Does she need a UK police certificate?

5 posts in this topic

I am a USC petitionimg for my British wifes GC. I understood as part of the IR1 process my wife will be requested for police certificates from wherever she has lived since the age of 16. Since that age she has actually never really lived in the UK and only visited. Of course I plan to get police certificates from the countries she has resided (due to college, overseas work etc.). However, since she hasn't resided in the UK of recent do I need to get a local certificate? We are applying from the London embassy (not DCF).

I truly appreciate any help. Thanks.

The embassy website says this--

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).

So if none of her forms will list the UK as a place of residence, and she doesn't live there while waiting on this visa thing, and she has never had a caution or police incident while in the UK---then it doesn't sound like she needs one.

I just wonder why she doesn't process at the embassy in the country where she currently lives.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

The embassy website says this--

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).

So if none of her forms will list the UK as a place of residence, and she doesn't live there while waiting on this visa thing, and she has never had a caution or police incident while in the UK---then it doesn't sound like she needs

I just wonder why she doesn't process at the embassy in the country where she currently lives.

Thank you for your input. The fact is we've been married five years and we just moved out of the dominican republic to move back to the US for work. She had a GC while we lived in the US first couple of years of marriage but gave it up as my work assignment was 3 years+.

Now, since June she's basically with her parents who are settled in Pakistan. Applying from Pakistan is tricky due to processing times and a more scrutinized process. Since by definition she is also not a resident of Pakistan I don't see why she shouldn't apply from the UK to avoid excessive wait times. She has an address in the UK but she is not residing in the UK while she has kept visiting and ur son is a dual British/ US national.

However, we cannot go through DCF as we don't qualify.

Now, since June she's basically with her parents who are settled in Pakistan. Applying from Pakistan is tricky due to processing times and a more scrutinized process. Since by definition she is also not a resident of Pakistan I don't see why she shouldn't apply from the UK to avoid excessive wait times. She has an address in the UK but she is not residing in the UK while she has kept visiting and ur son is a dual British/ US national.

However, we cannot go through DCF as we don't qualify.

She will likely have additional wait times after the interview in London before the visa is issued because of the Pakistan connection, even if she is a British citizen.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

She will likely have additional wait times after the interview in London before the visa is issued because of the Pakistan connection, even if she is a British citizen.

Thanks for the feedback. She has already been a GC holder so hopefully that helps. As you say there might be no real advantage but we prefer to work through London (all things equal).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.