slowlyman

When does home sickness kick in?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I suppose it's not an exact science, but when should I expect her to start getting homesick, and what can I do about it?

My wife never seemed to get homesick. At least she didn't say anything to me about it. I keep telling her we're going back to Thailand permanently at some point. I get the feeling she'd rather stay in the U.S.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she is not showing signs of homesick then it is a good sign she is adjusting....though adjustments take time ..

.love her, respect her, be kind to her, be very patient and understnading, provide and support her interests and definitely spend time with her then she would not be homesick.

..thats what I am hoping for with my fiancé soon.

She may get depressed and however she shows symptoms for that (everyone is different but most people are sad, tired, easily irritated, down on themselves and their situation.) Have you ever been away from home for a long time? Where you don't have family or friends to help you? You just want to go home and be around people that love you. That's homesickness. You want familiar foods, smells, sights and sounds. Where you feel like you belong.

The best thing to do is to help her keep busy, spend time together, help her adjust by finding new friends and things you can do together. Try new things, but also make sure she can do some of the old stuff she likes to do so find a place where she can find foods she likes and little things for the house that feel like home. If she has certain social etiquette rules it helps to have those enforced in the house. Make sure she can be independent as well so do the AOS right away, plan trips for you both to go home if she wants for vacactions, but it helps when people have a job or volunteer so they're getting out of the house and around people. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

She may get depressed and however she shows symptoms for that (everyone is different but most people are sad, tired, easily irritated, down on themselves and their situation.) Have you ever been away from home for a long time? Where you don't have family or friends to help you? You just want to go home and be around people that love you. That's homesickness. You want familiar foods, smells, sights and sounds. Where you feel like you belong.

The best thing to do is to help her keep busy, spend time together, help her adjust by finding new friends and things you can do together. Try new things, but also make sure she can do some of the old stuff she likes to do so find a place where she can find foods she likes and little things for the house that feel like home. If she has certain social etiquette rules it helps to have those enforced in the house. Make sure she can be independent as well so do the AOS right away, plan trips for you both to go home if she wants for vacactions, but it helps when people have a job or volunteer so they're getting out of the house and around people. smile.png

I 100% agree about the AOS. She's basically in limbo right now until that she gets her green card.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I personally have luckily been homesick only very few times since I arrived here about half a year ago. Homesickness, if it does occur, comes at random times for me - like my grandma's 87th birthday or when my husband played an old video of my family back home to me (I had to ask him to switch it off because I was just in tears).

Try to keep your fiancée busy, show her around, be understanding that she may be missing her home country and her family, and support her as much as you can. Maybe get her a good telephone plan or a Skype connection, so she can keep in touch with her family and friends. I also agree with the previous posters about sending off the AOS as soon as possible. While waiting for my EAD and AP, I was not allowed to drive or work and it got pretty lonely and boring being stuck at home all day.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

I think everybody is different when home sickness kicks in. I think one of the best things to do is get her invovled in something. It could be free ESL classes offered by the school district in your area, ESL classes at a local community college or university, volunteering some place, when she is able to work maybe have get a part time job to get out of the house a few days a week, or if you are able to bring her to work for a few hours try that. I think a lot of it is tied up in being stuck in the house all day and not able to do anything. I think the free ESL classes offered by your local school district she might be able to possibly join a summer class or otherwise what unitl the normal school starts backup in the fall and she should be able to join. Even if it is something she in not interested in doing or completely understand English it gives her a chance to get out of the house for a few hours and a chance to meet new friends. Does she have any hobbies? Encourge her to start some hobbies here that she likes. Pui had learned crochet and knitting back in Thailand and did a LOT of that the first year she was here. Now that it is summer and nice outside make plans to get outside and go for walk around your neiborhood drive to a park and walk around there.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

Nan started to get homesick about 2 month after she arrived. But she got through it and started to adjust about a month after that.

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Find the closest Thai Buddhist Temple even if it is a few hours away. It is a great opportunity to meet other Thais and make friends, volunteer, celebrate Thai festivals, etc. The more Thai friends she has here then easier it will be and the happier she will be and the less home sick she will be. They will have a lot in common off the bat and the Thais here can help her adjust. Connecting with the Thai expat community on Facebook is helpful too.

Cheap phone calls like Voipdiscount, Skype, is a great way to keep in touch with home. And an occasional trips back to Thailand also help (find Frequent flyer promotions to rack up miles). Most Thai's I know in the USA go back once a year or once every two years. Some don't want to ever go back as their life is here now and some have their mother's living here on Greencards.

That said, what my wife has noticed is that Thais, both men and women, who haven't traveled much outside their home towns tend to get the most home sick. Those that have traveled or even lived in different parts of Thailand adjust quicker.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Excellent topic. My wife will be coming (hopefully) in the next 1-2 months to California to live with me. Very worried about culture shock and homesickness for her. There is a Thai buddhist temple about 3 blocks from my home. I've heard positive and negative things about thai expat communities in the USA and would love to hear some of your experiences. Hoping she can take ESL at the local university and meet some people that way. Also, San Francisco is pretty good mass transit wise. I rarely if ever drive my car here. My wife is adventurous and I think would really love to explore this great, and reasonably safe, city. There's a bus stop literally in front of my home and a muni train line one block away. Between those two, she can get just about anywhere in the city without a car. Planning trips with her every weekend for the first few months so she can see and (hopefully) appreciate this great state. Easy to drive to places like Yosemite, Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, Big Sur, or take quick flights to LA and San Diego if she wants to see Hollywood, southern California beaches etc.

We will be bringing her daughter within the year. I'm hoping the ESL classes will give her exposure to the University culture here so she can decide if she wants to go back to school again, work, or stay at home and take care of kids. I'm supportive of whatever she decides, even if it means we have to move to Thailand. Family is number 1 for her so having her daughter and potentially her mom here with us will help.

I'll do my best to remember to post our experiences when she's here.

Edited by pamshusband

Timeline

We are in the third week, and Jin is in the thick of the homesickness now. I can see she is struggling, but not a lot I can do for her. She is sleeping a LOT. Calling & Skyping everyday. She has read and re-read Thailand fever. She watches Thai movies whenever she has a free moment.

I've been realizing how dramatically different life is here. In Thailand she was never alone. Thais do everything as a group. Eat, sleep, play, work. Now for the most part she just has me. When I'm at work she is alone. my home is too far out for bus service, and peddle biking.

Hopefully things will settle down for her soon.

On the positive side, the house is spotless. good.gif

Timeline

Hopefully this will pass. We had a tough first month, similar to what you are going through. As soon as we went to temple and she met some Thai friends things got better. The winter in California didn't help much either. My wife's been here 11 months now and she is doing very well. We have been back twice. She misses the group aspect as well, her father, brothers, and sisters all lived with in a few minutes of our house there and everything was a communal decision/gathering. Her little farm has helped a lot. She didn't pass her first driving test so that bummed her out a lot but she's practicing and will give another go soon. There have been a few bumps along the road but it seems to get better as time goes by...... I don't where you guys are from but, there is a Thai language newspaper put out in So Cal that comes out every Friday. Good source of info and what's going, temples, celebrations, jobs etc.. It's published by the Siam Press I believe. Good luck!

Timeline

Hopefully this will pass. We had a tough first month, similar to what you are going through. As soon as we went to temple and she met some Thai friends things got better. The winter in California didn't help much either. My wife's been here 11 months now and she is doing very well. We have been back twice. She misses the group aspect as well, her father, brothers, and sisters all lived with in a few minutes of our house there and everything was a communal decision/gathering. Her little farm has helped a lot. She didn't pass her first driving test so that bummed her out a lot but she's practicing and will give another go soon. There have been a few bumps along the road but it seems to get better as time goes by...... I don't where you guys are from but, there is a Thai language newspaper put out in So Cal that comes out every Friday. Good source of info and what's going, temples, celebrations, jobs etc.. It's published by the Siam Press I believe. Good luck!

What was it about the Cali winter that created problems. I can;t imagine it gets very cold over there. Although, the temp dropped to about 60 a couple nights ago. She slept in long johns, sweater, and stocking cap and she made me hook up the electric blanket. She is sooo clueless what lies ahead for her come January.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

After she re-arranges the kitchen ,

and learns

that none of the gear,

and none of the spices

that she's used to,

not exist in your kitchen.

or

When she learns there's no Thai Buddhist Temple in the area

or

After she goes shopping for underbritches the first time,

and realizes no one sells anything in her size,

fully realizing (now) that she should have spent the monies you sent her, in Thailand,

for the right-size underbritches.

We are in the third week, and Jin is in the thick of the homesickness now. I can see she is struggling, but not a lot I can do for her. She is sleeping a LOT. Calling & Skyping everyday. She has read and re-read Thailand fever. She watches Thai movies whenever she has a free moment.

I've been realizing how dramatically different life is here. In Thailand she was never alone. Thais do everything as a group. Eat, sleep, play, work. Now for the most part she just has me. When I'm at work she is alone. my home is too far out for bus service, and peddle biking.

Hopefully things will settle down for her soon.

On the positive side, the house is spotless. good.gif

Oh. in your prior topic, what bits did you implement, that were listed there?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

What was it about the Cali winter that created problems. I can;t imagine it gets very cold over there. Although, the temp dropped to about 60 a couple nights ago. She slept in long johns, sweater, and stocking cap and she made me hook up the electric blanket. She is sooo clueless what lies ahead for her come January.

I was being facetious but, it was true for her. We live near the beach so it never gets really cold, maybe some nights in the 50s but, it was cold for her. It gave her reason to go shopping but with daylight savings time and being cold in the morning it didn't help. It was not something to make fun of, she spent 36 years in hot and humid Thailand so it was a transition. That being said, she loves the summer DST and we've have had a nice summer so far. Still hard to go the beach for very long.... she doesn't want to be brown!! LOL!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.