ainsn

I-130 Interview Experience in Dhaka, Bangladesh July 2013

14 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

My husband got to the US Embassy at 7am for his 7:45am interview. At 7:30am he was called to a window where his appointment letter was checked and all previously submitted original documents were returned to him. After waiting for a while he was called in to a room for his interview. The CO was a very friendly older White American gentleman who spoke with my husband in both English and Bangla. Upon walking into the room, my husband noticed the CO already had the AP form in his hand. They shook hands, my husband sat down. The CO asked him the following questions:

Q: Who petitioned for you?

Q: Where is your wife now?

Q: What does she do for a living?

Q: What do you do for a living?

At this point the CO got into an extended side conversation with my husband about his medical degree/future plans, while handing him the AP form. When my husband saw the AP form his face must of paled because the CO stopped what he was saying abruptly and started reassuring my husband that this form is only to inform him that his case will be reviewed a bit further and it is absolutely nothing to worry about. My husband asked if he needed to submit any more paperwork, the CO said "No, all your paperwork is in order, your interview went really well, you're fine. This is just a routine part of the process." My husband then asked: "When can I expect to hear back?" The CO said "I can't give you a definite date, but I'm keeping your passport and you will hear back from us." After that my husband didn't ask any more questions about the 221g AP sheet, but the CO said "Don't worry" like 10 more times during the rest of the interview. He asked:

Q: How did you and your spouse get married?

Q: Do you have any photos?

After that, he said "Don't worry, we will contact you when we are done reviewing your case". My husband shook hands with the CO, thanked him, and left the embassy at around 11am.

So that's that. We're in AP. Not entirely a shocker, but disheartening. At least we both got positive vibes from the CO. Now we'll just sit and wait. Like we've been doing.

06.27.12: Mailed out I-130 IR1 for husband

07.02.12: NOA1
03.08.13: NOA2
05.10.13: Case complete

07.10.13: Interview - AP

12.05.13: AP completed

12.17.13: Visa in hand

02.02.14: POE - NYC

04.04.14: Greencard in hand

11.06.19: Mailed out N-400

12.03.19: Biometrics

01.21.21: Citizenship Interview

--

06.01.18: F2A filed for brothers ages 20, 19 and 16

03.26.20: Petition approved ages 21, 20 and 17

04.24.21: DQ - awaiting interview ages 22, 21 and 18

09.25.24: Interview for 3 brothers - Approved!

hmm! Don't know what to say! Looks like its a mandatory process in Dhk emb! Sounds all positive and he had a pretty long time with the CO! Lets wait now till it ends!

Timeline

@applicantctg and @N Ahmed: Thanks for the positive feedback!

I was just checking the status of our case on CEAC and it's already been updated stating our case is in AP. In the additional notes section is says:

Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.

2 business days? Is that true? It doesn't seem to accurately reflect cases (as seen on VJ) that have been approved after being in AP.

--

Key is "if it is approved". It will be approved once background check (or god knows what) is over. 2 days would be really nice but prepare yourself for a long wait. Better to be ready than frequet disappointment.

When my husband went to the interview, we were both expecting he would be put into AP as well since it has become so common for males from a Muslim country to be scrutinized much more now (it really was an anomaly when he wasn't put into AP). Don't lose hope and keep strong. Insh'allah, everything will turn out in God's favor. I wish you both the best and hopefully, you will hear good news soon.

Timeline

When my husband went to the interview, we were both expecting he would be put into AP as well since it has become so common for males from a Muslim country to be scrutinized much more now (it really was an anomaly when he wasn't put into AP). Don't lose hope and keep strong. Insh'allah, everything will turn out in God's favor. I wish you both the best and hopefully, you will hear good news soon.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. You're right that everything will turn out as planned by Allah. I have to remind myself that I may plan/expect things for my life, but God knows better and always gives (or in this case, withholds) what is in our best interest.

--

My husband got to the US Embassy at 7am for his 7:45am interview. At 7:30am he was called to a window where his appointment letter was checked and all previously submitted original documents were returned to him. After waiting for a while he was called in to a room for his interview. The CO was a very friendly older White American gentleman who spoke with my husband in both English and Bangla. Upon walking into the room, my husband noticed the CO already had the AP form in his hand. They shook hands, my husband sat down. The CO asked him the following questions:

Q: Who petitioned for you?

Q: Where is your wife now?

Q: What does she do for a living?

Q: What do you do for a living?

At this point the CO got into an extended side conversation with my husband about his medical degree/future plans, while handing him the AP form. When my husband saw the AP form his face must of paled because the CO stopped what he was saying abruptly and started reassuring my husband that this form is only to inform him that his case will be reviewed a bit further and it is absolutely nothing to worry about. My husband asked if he needed to submit any more paperwork, the CO said "No, all your paperwork is in order, your interview went really well, you're fine. This is just a routine part of the process." My husband then asked: "When can I expect to hear back?" The CO said "I can't give you a definite date, but I'm keeping your passport and you will hear back from us." After that my husband didn't ask any more questions about the 221g AP sheet, but the CO said "Don't worry" like 10 more times during the rest of the interview. He asked:

Q: How did you and your spouse get married?

Q: Do you have any photos?

After that, he said "Don't worry, we will contact you when we are done reviewing your case". My husband shook hands with the CO, thanked him, and left the embassy at around 11am.

So that's that. We're in AP. Not entirely a shocker, but disheartening. At least we both got positive vibes from the CO. Now we'll just sit and wait. Like we've been doing.

I would think it would be a really good sign that they kept the passport. Hope you hear soon!

Thanks for sharing your experience ainsn--I know it must be frustrating. But don't lose hope. This has become the standard operating procedure at Dhaka which is affecting every type of visa application. As others have mentioned, they've kept your husband's passport--which is a good sign. I hope you hear some good news soon.

I have also been digging around the US State Department website to find out more information about AP. To be honest, there isn't much new information. Here is the general information about AP:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/a_zindex/a_zindex_4353.html

I also found the foreign affairs manual that consulates use to administer 221(g) AP reviews. Again, it doesn't have much info regarding how long it takes but does give some information of what happens behind-the-scenes. There's a lot of legal jargon and probably won't be of much help. But if you're like me, maybe you would want to know everything about this opaque process:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87918.pdf

USCIS: I-130 (442 days)
01/23/2012: File I-130 as LPR to VSC
01/31/2012: Receive NOA1
03/14/2013: Change status from LPR to USC
04/17/2013: Receive NOA2

NVC: IR-1/CR-1
04/22/2013: NVC received case file.
05/08/2013: Case Number & IIN Received
05/09/2013: DS-3032 email sent
05/22/2013: AOS Fee Invoiced & Paid
05/23/2013: AOS Packet Sent to NVC
05/24/2013: DS-3032 Accepted
05/24/2013: IV Fee Invoiced & Paid
05/30/2013: IV Packet Sent
06/05/2013: AOS Completed
06/13/2013: NVC Case Completed (36 days after case start)

07/17/2013: Interview Assigned

Embassy

07/22/2013: Case received at Embassy

07/24/2013: Medical Appointment

08/20/2013: Interview

USCIS: N-400 (178 days)
09/12/2012: File N-400
09/17/2012: NOA for N-400
10/10/2012: Biometric appt.
01/28/2013: Interview
03/14/2013: Oath (Finally USC!!)

Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience ainsn--I know it must be frustrating. But don't lose hope. This has become the standard operating procedure at Dhaka which is affecting every type of visa application. As others have mentioned, they've kept your husband's passport--which is a good sign. I hope you hear some good news soon.

I have also been digging around the US State Department website to find out more information about AP. To be honest, there isn't much new information. Here is the general information about AP:

I also found the foreign affairs manual that consulates use to administer 221(g) AP reviews. Again, it doesn't have much info regarding how long it takes but does give some information of what happens behind-the-scenes. There's a lot of legal jargon and probably won't be of much help. But if you're like me, maybe you would want to know everything about this opaque process:

Wow! Thank you, tsukiyomii100, for pulling up that info and sharing it with us. Definitely helps to have any kind of extra insight on what the heck goes on during AP! I appreciate it.

--

I have been following your timeline very closely. In fact, on the 10th I checked back to see what happened to you. I am sorry to hear about your AP. As i am waiting for my wife's interview appointment, I am contemplating about how my wife will end up with that.

She told me to pray. I told her that embassy buys credibility not magic. Praying to alleviate the AP. it's a joke.

Anyways, hope you get through the ordeal.

Bye.

@applicantctg and @N Ahmed: Thanks for the positive feedback!

I was just checking the status of our case on CEAC and it's already been updated stating our case is in AP. In the additional notes section is says:

Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.

2 business days? Is that true? It doesn't seem to accurately reflect cases (as seen on VJ) that have been approved after being in AP.

Hello. Your case was closed on 13th and mine on the 21st. It's been a month already, no letter.

Often I question myself.

What are the officers at Dhaka consulate doing? Fasting? I hope not. Tired of Bangladeshi political turmoil or simply Too tired to schedule folks? Oh well,I will never figure that out.

Hmmm,...ok good luck to you.

quote name="tsukiyomii100" post="6363253" timestamp="1373573973"]

• 2 months later...
Timeline

What is the status on ainsn AP? I have relative who had interview on April 21st 2013. The Wife and Child got the visa but husband is put on AP. It is over 6 months, still on AP. Anybody has any clue?

Hi cmrahman. My husband is still in AP. Almost 3 months now. We're really not expecting to hear back from the Embassy until June or July 2014.

--

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.