SarahBear

What happens if denied at interview bc of domicile?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a USC sponsoring my Canadian husband via IR-1. One of the biggest problems I'm having right now is trying to prove my intent to "re-establish" domicile in the US. I have Canadian PR at this time and am getting ready to send in my I-864, which has the bit in it about proving domicile. I read the threads on this board already that deal with this topic and this gave me some good ideas on what to submit.

1. Copy of Pennsylvania driver's license (I never got a Canada license as I don't drive here)

2. Copy of Pennsylvania car registration (my car is at my parent's house in PA - didn't want to import it to Canada)

3. Copy of proof of car insurance for said car in PA

4. Copies of bank statements for both of my US bank accounts

5. Copies of US based 401K and IRA accounts

6. Copies of US credit card bills

7. Signed letter from my parents saying my husband, children and I can move into their home when my husband is approved.

8. Moving quote from U-Pack with estimate on how much it will cost to move our stuff from Toronto back to PA

9. Copy of our son's US Certificate of Birth Abroad

I realize that most people will say this is not enough and they're probably right. I just don't know what else to do... Realistically I can't apply for jobs right now because we're not planning on moving until after our second baby arrives in late November. We want to buy a house shortly after we move so I don't want to get an apartment lease in the US. My son is not school aged yet so I can't register him in US school. That puts me out of reach of a lot of the more "typical" evidence for domicile so to speak.

I fully expect that if we go to the interview in Montreal with what I listed above and nothing else, we will be denied. My question is, what happens if Montreal denies your petition at the interview because of lack of "proof of domicile?" Has this happened to anyone, and if so how long did it take to re-submit more evidence of domicile before you were approved?

Our goal is to move to the US in January together. I really do not want to move to the US by myself and wait for my husband because I would be caring for a newborn and 2 year old on my own. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Honestly that sounds like enough and you should try with what you have.

Montreal will not deny the visa due to domicile, they will issue a 221g which means you have to give them more proof within a time frame. Basically puts the beneficiary into AP until such a time as their requirements are met.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep what Niki stated!! What others have done is the USA Citizen then heads back to the USA sets up shop and then sends back the evidence to Mtl. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Honestly that sounds like enough and you should try with what you have.

Montreal will not deny the visa due to domicile, they will issue a 221g which means you have to give them more proof within a time frame. Basically puts the beneficiary into AP until such a time as their requirements are met.

Thank you very much for the input! Sorry, what does it mean that it "puts the beneficiary into AP" exactly? Could we move to the USA together if this happens or would we have to submit more things and wait on Montreal? Like I said before, I have a new baby on the way and a 2 year old son, so moving to the USA without him would be extremely difficult.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

AP: Advanced Parole

AP is a travel document allowing you to go back and forth between the US and Canada without any restrictions while you're waiting on a green card.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b11747a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Timeline

Not it in this case--AP means Additional processing, which is not a good thing! As you would have to provide them with additional evidence, and once they are happy, then theywould issue the visa. And as your well aware, things tend to be a bit slow,, so its not as if they get the new evidence on Monday and issue the visa a few days later!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

don't forget - just because you have to submit this stuff into NVC nowish,

does NOT MEAN that you are stopping your path of re-establishing domicile in the USA the day you submit the I-864 into NVC.

The Vice Consul knows this, and will ask for 'the proof' of re-establishing domicile on interview day,

so

you have some time, to finish up, wrap up, do more.

Bear that in mind as yer signing yer name on the I-864...

you have more time.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Yes I mean additional or administrative processing. It means the beneficiary will not get the visa until Montreal has what it needs and feels the petitioner is going to or has re-established domicile in the USA.

What you have, however, seems sufficient to me. Plus by submitting this information to the NVC, they can pre-determine if you've made enough effort to re-establish domicile.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Your list looks good! We brought similar paperwork for my interview last month. Hubby is Canadian PR/US Citizen. We did get a lease with his parents and they CO wanted to look at it and kept it as well as the letter my FIL wrote claiming we will be staying with them when we initially move down.

None of our US bank statements were required.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I am the BENEFICIARY

May 08: Met online via PS3/Call of Duty Multiplayer game; began chatting and playing regularly.
06/10/09: We become a couple <3
11/06/10: Engaged!!! (Technically we've been engaged for months, but he never had a chance to put a ring on me until Nov 6)
10/10/10: Married in Toronto!
03/2011: Filed for hubby's Canadian Permanent Residence.
10/11: Hubby's PR approved and moved to Toronto! (He just didn't like living here)

I-130
12/15/12: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
12/21/12: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to NBC
01/29/13: Received NOA2 via email (40 days since filing I-130)

NVC - ELECTRONIC PROCESSING FROM CANADA
02/06/2013: NVC Received
02/25/2013: Received IIN and BIN numbers
03/05/2013: Received Opt-in Confirmation email
03/26/2013: Received DS-260 / I-864 Bill
03/26/2013: Pay I-864 Bill
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed I-864
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-261
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-260
03/26/2013: Receive IV Bill
03/26/2013: IV Bill PAID
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed IV Packet
04/17/2013: AOS RFE Received sad.png
04/17/2013: Return RFE
04/30/2013: Case Completed at NVC

POST NVC

05/27/2013: Medical

06/17/2013: Interview/APPROVED!!!

06/19/2013: Visa ready for Pickup

xx/xx/xxxx: POE

Timeline

Yes I mean additional or administrative processing. It means the beneficiary will not get the visa until Montreal has what it needs and feels the petitioner is going to or has re-established domicile in the USA.

What you have, however, seems sufficient to me. Plus by submitting this information to the NVC, they can pre-determine if you've made enough effort to re-establish domicile.

Wow, good thing I checked this thread again! I thought the AP answer meant advanced parole based on a few posts above. Ok, this is not good... Moving to the US with a newborn and 2 year old by myself and living without my husband for a period of time is going to be practically impossible.

If I submit all my evidence listed in my first post to the NVC and they don't issue a RFE relating to domicile, does that mean we're in good shape for the Montreal interview?

What happens if I do get an RFE and I don't have enough to prove intent to re-establish domicile in their eyes? What more could I realistically do to strengthen my case while pregnant and in Canada? If push came to shove and Montreal didn't issue my husband a visa based on the domicile nonsense, could my congressman or senator do anything to help me considering my circumstances?

Why does everything have to be so complicated? :(

Timeline

PM Back_to_KY as she had been living in Canada and they just got approved ion Mtl--so ask her to see what stuff she brought along.....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/442486-visa-approved-montreal-too/

Edited by Flames9_RN

Timeline

If I submit all my evidence listed in my first post to the NVC and they don't issue a RFE relating to domicile, does that mean we're in good shape for the Montreal interview?

Not necessarily.

The list of docs you are submitting should be acceptable to NVC but your file will still be flagged at Montreal. So when your spouse goes for the interview make sure he has all the supporting docs. For example we had sent a copy of an employer's letter to NVC but I am glad I had another copy with me otherwise I don't think the interviewer would have bothered to look in the file at the evidence. In fact I was the one who had to be proactive in showing evidence.

Back to Ky's expereince seems pretty much the same as mine even though my interview was over a year ago.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

Not necessarily.

The list of docs you are submitting should be acceptable to NVC but your file will still be flagged at Montreal. So when your spouse goes for the interview make sure he has all the supporting docs. For example we had sent a copy of an employer's letter to NVC but I am glad I had another copy with me otherwise I don't think the interviewer would have bothered to look in the file at the evidence. In fact I was the one who had to be proactive in showing evidence.

Back to Ky's expereince seems pretty much the same as mine even though my interview was over a year ago.

Hi! Thanks for the response. So, if NVC is OK with what we presented, why would it be flagged in MTL? That doesn't make any sense to me. Why would something be deemed OK by one department, but not the other?

I thought we had to bring the original documents of everything we submitted to NVC to the interview anyway? I'll make sure my spouse has everything I submitted when he goes to the interview.

Timeline

Because the consular officer conducting the interview in Montreal has the official say!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.