Maple79

Flying cat from UK to USA

56 posts in this topic

Well my hound is doing the VA trip to San Francisco the week after next. She will need a crate built for her because she ain't a small dog and I'm getting Petair to do the whole process. Not what I would call cheap but having someone else manage the whole process is one less thing to worry about. I will of course worry for the entire flight about her....

As I am currently clearing my house she already knows something is up of course but moving to a warmer climate should extend her latter years. Given that she greets me from a weekend in the kennels as though I've been away for months , the greeting when she comes off the plane will be something else :-)

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My Simba flies out January 30th and I'm some what relieved hearing that the flight staff have access to the pets in flight, I thought they were just put in there n door were locked n that's it until they got, with an 11 hour flight the idea petrifies me. I know in the long run Simba will be better because hel have me looking after him and il alway make sure he gets the best care but got to be honest I feel guilty as hell putting him through the flight :(

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Just to update - I flew with my 2 cats, in the cabin, on Lufthansa Manchester-Frankfurt-Seatac on 15th November. Lufthansa can now take pets in the cabin again from the UK and there were no problems - I'd arranged all their paperwork for the right dates and they cleared CDC in Seatac faster than I cleared customs! Fortunately, my friend who had flown over to bring the second cat on the flights is a US Citizen and was able to pick them up from CDC so they weren't stuck there for a couple of hours. Definitely worth asking Lufthansa for pets you want to bring in the cabin - it cost me just over 75 pounds per cat, plus another 55 for the right size carrier for each of them. My 2 are not the easiest of cats, but I was able to get them through security at both airports without any problems and they were extremely well behaved on the flights.

Just to update - I flew with my 2 cats, in the cabin, on Lufthansa Manchester-Frankfurt-Seatac on 15th November. Lufthansa can now take pets in the cabin again from the UK and there were no problems - I'd arranged all their paperwork for the right dates and they cleared CDC in Seatac faster than I cleared customs! Fortunately, my friend who had flown over to bring the second cat on the flights is a US Citizen and was able to pick them up from CDC so they weren't stuck there for a couple of hours. Definitely worth asking Lufthansa for pets you want to bring in the cabin - it cost me just over 75 pounds per cat, plus another 55 for the right size carrier for each of them. My 2 are not the easiest of cats, but I was able to get them through security at both airports without any problems and they were extremely well behaved on the flights.

Really! I didn't realize they started flying cats from the UK again. Awesome im glad all went okay and that u got such a great deal!

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Really! I didn't realize they started flying cats from the UK again. Awesome im glad all went okay and that u got such a great deal!

I believe it's just some airlines at the moment - they all had to get new certification to allow them to start flying pets in the cabin out of the UK again. It's definitely worth making a few calls to find out who can and can't fly them for anyone who really doesn't want to put an animal in cargo though - it seems as if the list of airlines who have certification is changing all the time at the moment and as it's changing quite quickly, not all the websites are completely up to date for information.

Timeline

To be honest id rather he be in cargo , he'd have to be in smaller carrier in cabin and I know if he could see me he'd be crying whole time

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have nothing helpful to contribute to this discussion. However, I got a good chuckle after having a somewhat drab day when I read the subject of the thread. A picture popped up in my head of an tabby fixing goggles to his face and letting the wind blow threw his fur. Yeah.... I'm weird.

Timeline

I have nothing helpful to contribute to this discussion. However, I got a good chuckle after having a somewhat drab day when I read the subject of the thread. A picture popped up in my head of an tabby fixing goggles to his face and letting the wind blow threw his fur. Yeah.... I'm weird.

Haha the cat will not be the vessel we fly on

Well we are *finally* in California. Willow (large lurcher) flew on the same VA flight as me. I paid Petair to organise everything and although expensive it was worth making it a hassle free experience. I was moving out of my house the day before my flight - something I really do not recommend.

I printed up a postcard with Willow's photo on it and asked one of the crew to hand to the Captain (it asked him/her to check the heating was on). I then had visits from most of the crew confirming that Willow (and the other dog on board) were fine. I even got a visit mid flight by the First Officer to chat about the dog. She said they rarely get to see the actual animals and were amused and chuffed to get the photo. They were particularly interested to know how I knew that they controlled the heating. Internet research was my answer :-)

Following immigration (which tool nearly and hour due to queues) we had to drive over to the VA freight terminal, collect customs documents , take them to customs who stamped them and then return to terminal to pick up hound.

Willow was veryyyyyy pleased to get out of the crate but was otherwise fine and clean. Skittish for 24hrs after arrival but now settling in.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Well we are *finally* in California. Willow (large lurcher) flew on the same VA flight as me. I paid Petair to organise everything and although expensive it was worth making it a hassle free experience. I was moving out of my house the day before my flight - something I really do not recommend.

I printed up a postcard with Willow's photo on it and asked one of the crew to hand to the Captain (it asked him/her to check the heating was on). I then had visits from most of the crew confirming that Willow (and the other dog on board) were fine. I even got a visit mid flight by the First Officer to chat about the dog. She said they rarely get to see the actual animals and were amused and chuffed to get the photo. They were particularly interested to know how I knew that they controlled the heating. Internet research was my answer :-)

Following immigration (which tool nearly and hour due to queues) we had to drive over to the VA freight terminal, collect customs documents , take them to customs who stamped them and then return to terminal to pick up hound.

Willow was veryyyyyy pleased to get out of the crate but was otherwise fine and clean. Skittish for 24hrs after arrival but now settling in.

thanks for the response it has really helped ease my nerves. I won't be flying on same flight as Simba but I may ask petair to pass on photo to pilot!

thanks for the response it has really helped ease my nerves. I won't be flying on same flight as Simba but I may ask petair to pass on photo to pilot!

I took the photo on board with me and asked one of the stewards to pass it on.

I have been flying to SFO since the 1996 and this was the first time *ever* I got a seat upstairs on a 747. I didn't realise that when I booked. The additional upside(sic) was that that is where the flight deck is so it was only a short walk for the crew to hand over my photo. Certainly caused much discussion and made it more fun.

Willow is just about over the jet lag and is getting used to her new home. Next up is more extended walks so she can get used to the area.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.