Maple79

Flying cat from UK to USA

56 posts in this topic

I'm also in the process of deciding how to fly my beloved cat from the U.K to Chicago. It's a mind boggling stuff! I've had quotes starting from £564 to nearly a £1000!!! I think I'm going to go through an airline rather than an agent, the cost would be considerably lower.

I was told that they don't necessarily need the rabies shot before they go, but it would be needed 14 days after arrival. I'm going to get my cat micro chipped, rabies shot & pet passport here in the U.K, costing around £120, then I'll have to book her for a 'fit to fly' check from 7-10 days before she flies.

I am currently looking for an IATA approved cage because they have to be a certain size. Has anyone got any suggestions on which one to buy that would be accepted by the airlines?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok.. Firstly Lufthansa and every other airline we tried- (pretty much all of them), will not take any pets in the cabin from or into the UK. So it is cargo hold in the UK or not at all. During the summer months only airlines with climate controlled holds will fly your pets cargo. BA and Virgin basically. BA will only go through an agent (cheapest quote I got for my cat for the basic package was £795!) I decided to cut out the middle man and go with Virgin for £395 using a Sky Vari kennel as suggested over the phone by Virgin who named it as one of their accepted pet carriers.. http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/vari-kennel-airline-approved-sky-kennel-8750-0.html

I was told by my vet too that the cat had to have a rabies shot. So I had that done, she is already micro-chipped which they also ask and spayed so the only thing left now is to get her fit-to-fly certificate. My vet also told me that I didn't need the pet passport outside of the EU if I had no plans to bring her back into the UK.

Hope this helps!

h951p1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Another thing, Virgin told us to measure the cat from nose to the start of her tail and then from her feet up to the tips of her ears and then add 2" to work out the carrier size.

Minimum size cage VAA will accept for travel is 53 x 40 x 38 cms (21 x 16 x 15 inches)

(Thanks for the tip Nich-Nick, if she won't eat them I will try your way! I have gone through a couple of different antibiotics when she has had flair ups and nothing has seemed to help, I am certainly willing to try anything at this point.)

h951p1.png

Aren't the animal import rules state dependant anyway ? I need to revise those myself.

I see you finally got your NOA2 - congrats !

Thank you so much thats very sweet!

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Ok.. Firstly Lufthansa and every other airline we tried- (pretty much all of them), will not take any pets in the cabin from or into the UK. So it is cargo hold in the UK or not at all. During the summer months only airlines with climate controlled holds will fly your pets cargo. BA and Virgin basically. BA will only go through an agent (cheapest quote I got for my cat for the basic package was £795!) I decided to cut out the middle man and go with Virgin for £395 using a Sky Vari kennel as suggested over the phone by Virgin who named it as one of their accepted pet carriers.. http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/vari-kennel-airline-approved-sky-kennel-8750-0.html

I was told by my vet too that the cat had to have a rabies shot. So I had that done, she is already micro-chipped which they also ask and spayed so the only thing left now is to get her fit-to-fly certificate. My vet also told me that I didn't need the pet passport outside of the EU if I had no plans to bring her back into the UK.

Hope this helps!

Thank you this is VERY helpful! Yea cheapest agent quote i had was around the same.

They also recommended me Pets Mates or Atlas carriers. But I think im going to go with the one u linked.

So nervous about her travelling but it will be worth it

Our Story AoS
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand

Thanks for the link re Pet carrier, most helpful! I'm absolutely dreading putting my cat through that eight and a half hour flight. I wanted to fly over beforehand and have her flown out a week or two later, but I don't have anyone who can take her to the airport, so she'll have to fly with me on the same flight. Not only will I be stressing about POE but waiting to see if she made the flight safe and sound. Going to be a very long day me thinks!!!

Edited by Naddy&Mikey

You guys with cats - you think it's costing you a lot ? Trying shipping a tall lurcher. I've had quotes so far ranging from just over £2200 to £3300 - buying a big enough crate will be £250 !

I'm sure I can get a club class ticket for about this and we can both then fly in style :-)

Richard

event.png

event.png

Thanks for the link re Pet carrier, most helpful! I'm absolutely dreading putting my cat through that eight and a half hour flight. I wanted to fly over beforehand and have her flown out a week or two later, but I don't have anyone who can take her to the airport, so she'll have to fly with me on the same flight. Not only will I be stressing about POE but waiting to see if she made the flight safe and sound. Going to be a very long day me thinks!!!

I am also very very nervous I think im more nervous about Nala's well being on the flight than the entire visa process lol. Call me sad luv.gif

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

just my experience when I moved to France from U.S.

Almost 2 years ago, I flied with 2 cats ( in the same kannel ) with air France. ( paid $200-250)

they were in baggage area.

During the Flight, flight attendant was very nice, he tole me my cats are in baggage area safely.

when I picked them up at air port special baggage area, They were so miserable from over 14 hours travel.

I was told later that i shouldn't feed cats right before flying. it caused more sickness?

but anyways, They were happy to be in new home, healthy , love french cat food!

now I and my husband are moving to U.S. feel sorry for my cats to go over again. sad.png

just my experience when I moved to France from U.S.

Almost 2 years ago, I flied with 2 cats ( in the same kannel ) with air France. ( paid $200-250)

they were in baggage area.

During the Flight, flight attendant was very nice, he tole me my cats are in baggage area safely.

when I picked them up at air port special baggage area, They were so miserable from over 14 hours travel.

I was told later that i shouldn't feed cats right before flying. it caused more sickness?

but anyways, They were happy to be in new home, healthy , love french cat food!

now I and my husband are moving to U.S. feel sorry for my cats to go over again. sad.png

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully this is the last time they have to travel! Im glad they were okay!

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

General advice indeed requirement is not to feed prior to flights. I'm hoping that will be the biggest discomfort my hound has to deal with.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Fleeeeppin 'eck.

VA want £1400 for shipping my lurcher LHR-SFO. Plus another £250 for a crate. That's more than premium economy and she won't get any food !

Richard

event.png

event.png

My VJ friend who flew her cat Bean on Lufthansa from London to Frankfort to Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska said she should have put some wee pads in the crate. He was fine but wet and smelly.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this new rule also applies to Dublin, or if cats are still permitted in the cabin on flights leaving Dublin? I honestly don't think my cats would cope with the combination of the new and frightening experience, and being separated from me - although they are 10 years old, they were feral as kittens so are desperately over-attached to me and terrified of being left with people they don't know :( If I can't take them in the cabin from Dublin, I'm somehow going to have to get them all the way to France (from the Isle of Man) which is going to be a nightmare journey :/

I hope someone gets back to you yvy23 regarding your query.....

I finally booked my flight and my cats too. Were leaving a week tomorrow from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic. It ended up costing £397 for my cat and £929 one way for me. The pick up details at Chicago O'Hare seem somewhat confusing, So I'm hoping it's easier than it looks. Because it's going to be hard to do as I won't have a car on arrival.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. I will report back once I've settled. Good luck to all other's that are going through this process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.