batallion9

caution about I-134, financials for interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here is some FYI for those waiting at NVC. I went ahead last week and sent my financials, W2, bank statements, Stock accounts, personal info to my Fiance..She lives in Ukraine. Today she got my packet. Guess what??? It had been opened by someone in customs or post office. Anyway now I am exposed to identity thieft. Looks like next week will be spent doing damage control. I suggest you scan these documents concerning financials and email to your significant other. I-134 has to be original signature, so mail it, but be safe with your other information.

Edited by batallion9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

That's terrible! But I can't say that I'm surprised.

My fiance sent me the financial documents with FedEx, and we had no problem. I highly recommend in the future, when you're sending important document to another country to use express courier, like Fedex or DHL. They are a little more expensive, but it arrives fast and without any problems.

I'm the Beneficiary
N400 April 2017 fillers: https://goo.gl/cp2Uxz
Support group for Romanian-American couples--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/520291304693940/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely suggest you send via courier of sorts next time.

However, opening of items in customs is fairly normal.

If they suspected anything wasn't what it should be, they have every right to open it.

Was there anything in the envelope aside from paperwork that could have been slightly questioned on an xray?

Any strange clips or clamps?

Edited by The Mean Lady

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Definitely suggest you send via courier of sorts next time.

However, opening of items in customs is fairly normal.

If they suspected anything wasn't what it should be, they have every right to open it.

Was there anything in the envelope aside from paperwork that could have been slightly questioned on an xray?

Any strange clips or clamps?

paper clips and staples.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here is some FYI for those waiting at NVC. I went ahead last week and sent my financials, W2, bank statements, Stock accounts, personal info to my Fiance..She lives in Ukraine. Today she got my packet. Guess what??? It had been opened by someone in customs or post office. Anyway now I am exposed to identity thieft. Looks like next week will be spent doing damage control. I suggest you scan these documents concerning financials and email to your significant other. I-134 has to be original signature, so mail it, but be safe with your other information.

Ahything sent internationally is subject to search by customs, even if sent by Fedex. Most likely it was opened by someone in the post office in Ukraine. Ukraine has a known reputation for "losing" mail and I never send anything INTO Ukraine by the Post Office more valuable than a birthday card.

I also always suggest that the petitioner attend the interview if possible. Kiev allows you to attend and even walk right up to the window with your spouse/fiancee. If you do this, you get to bring the documents with you by hand delivery

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

paper clips and staples.

Typically in the Ukrainian post office they are checking any thick or "important looking" documents for jewelry, cash, or anything valuable they can steal. This could include your personal information.

Also keep in mind, they already have your SSN from your petition, they do not need your bank account numbers (those can be blacked out from your statements) etc. You are providing plausible evidence you can meet the guidelines for the I-864 (which replaces the I-134 when you get married and file the AOS). They don't need ANY evidence other than your income information if you make enough money to satisfy the requirement. The I-134 is a cover letter, a summary, for what you attach to it. It is not a legal document or a binding contract (the I-864 IS) The I-134 is a pre-printed convenience form and is not even required. You can make your own "affidavit" if you like. What I am saying is that these documents are not "so important" and yo do not need to provide every detail of your financial life to the consulate. So don't.

If your salary/income is sufficeint to meet the guidelines, then provide minimal documentation to prove that. I provided a bank LETTER which does not give any personal information, an EMPLOYER letter, which does not give personal information, some check stubs which give no valuable information, and a copy of my most recent tax return (1 year) with SSN blacked out of the form and w-2s. OR a copy of 1 year tax transcript with SSN blacked out.

Bank letter states when the account was opened, that it is in good standing, the current balance and the amount of deposits in the last 12 months. I provided this for ONE bank account. The employer letter stated position, annual income, date hired. Check stubs do not show SSN, only name and address. same with tax returns. No questions asked at the interview.

If your income is sufficient you do not need to attach ANY information regarding investments, property, retirement funds, or anything else. Leave it blank. The same applies for the I-864

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Bank letter is not needed either if your job income is sufficient.

True enough. But when instructions say "you may present any of the following items" and they list 4 items, I present 5 items.

Bank letters, employment letters are free and do not reveal any information which could be used against you. I much prefer a bank latter to bank statements which tell people way TMI.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.