joshandgigi

Thai Police Cert

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't have anything to add to this. All I can say is that my wife never went to get the police report on her own. She paid some lawyer 5k THB in Chiang Mai to deal with it so she didn't have to travel to Bangkok and back.

Any time a Thai deals with the police, and the police know that there is a farang involved, the price/bribe/teamoney whatever you want to call it, is going to go up. Same thing when the police deal directly with a farang.

I'll tell a story. There's a guy that I worked with when I lived there. He's from the U.S. He would travel from his home in Rayong to BKK every Monday morning to work and then travel back home on Friday every week. This guy is about 6'4" and 250 or so, so he sticks out there. Well it's very common for him to get pulled over and jacked up by the cops. Usually costs him 100 THB or so. $3 U.S. not a big deal. One day they the stopped him twice on the same highway. Different cops. He got pi$$ed the second time, and got his wife on the phone etc. Basically she just told him pay the 100 THB. I guess he just started looking at it as an additional toll.

Another story. I was standing outside MBK near the BTS station smoking. I threw down my cigarette butt when I was finished and went to walk back into the mall. Two cops walked up to me and each grabbed one of my arms and said "come with us" So I went with them to this desk they had set up. There's was another farang there with his Thai girlfriend. I had only been in Thailand for less than a month at this point, so I called the (bar)girl/long-haired dictionary I was with at the time and told her to come out of the store. She talked to the cops and explained to me that since I threw my cigarette butt down there's a fine for littering. 500THB. I gave the cop the money. He told the girl, "ask him if he wants a receipt." Of course I said no. The cop took the 500 THB, folded it up and put it in his front shirt pocket and said have a nice day. Later after living in Thailand for awhile, I learned that these guys weren't really cops at all, and if I would have just told them to pi$$ off, there wasn't much they could do about it.

That's just the way it is. And it's not just the police. There's some kind of mentality going on there where they assume that farangs have an unlimited supply of money.

And Bangkok streets are so clean and odor free. rofl.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

And Bangkok streets are so clean and odor free. rofl.gif

My husband used to drive to fast everywhere he went there so I have a few stories too.

We would drive towards Khon Khen at times. He thought that road was a NASCAR event. The cops set up cameras and then stopped people down the road. We got stopped so many times he would just put the cash on the sun visor before before we left.

The cops got to know him by name and each time would caution him to slow down. He would laugh and tell them to stand back a little more when we went by. One time they stopped us and asked how many times he would need to be stopped. He told them to write out about 5 tickets and would pay in advance to save time; that they could just add the dates later. They said if he kept coming back they would offer him a discount. Next trip he got a 200 baht discount so it was 200 per trip. Seems cheap to me after paying some of his tickets here so I see why he thought it was funny.

Edited by Ning

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just to confirm my experience for thai police cert, its exactly what Joshandgigi posted. And yes they asked for usc bio page, but i didnt have it w/ me coz it was not stated anywhere that it was needed, only had naturalization cert at that time and they took it though one police wasnt sure that it would be ok, but in the end i got it. Oh well, i thought the embassy should have included usc bio page in the instruction in packet 3 on how to get thai police cert, but again house registration was asked from me on interview day though it was not stated anywhere in packet 3 or 4, was it?

Timeline

Just to confirm my experience for thai police cert, its exactly what Joshandgigi posted. And yes they asked for usc bio page, but i didnt have it w/ me coz it was not stated anywhere that it was needed, only had naturalization cert at that time and they took it though one police wasnt sure that it would be ok, but in the end i got it. Oh well, i thought the embassy should have included usc bio page in the instruction in packet 3 on how to get thai police cert, but again house registration was asked from me on interview day though it was not stated anywhere in packet 3 or 4, was it?

Did you have an original birth certificate?

Timeline

Did you have an original birth certificate?

Yes i did, but they asked for it anyway, but they said nth when i said i didn't have it with me coz i wasn't informed about it. Edited by Sud Yaud

Timeline

I don't have anything to add to this. All I can say is that my wife never went to get the police report on her own. She paid some lawyer 5k THB in Chiang Mai to deal with it so she didn't have to travel to Bangkok and back.

Any time a Thai deals with the police, and the police know that there is a farang involved, the price/bribe/teamoney whatever you want to call it, is going to go up. Same thing when the police deal directly with a farang.

I'll tell a story. There's a guy that I worked with when I lived there. He's from the U.S. He would travel from his home in Rayong to BKK every Monday morning to work and then travel back home on Friday every week. This guy is about 6'4" and 250 or so, so he sticks out there. Well it's very common for him to get pulled over and jacked up by the cops. Usually costs him 100 THB or so. $3 U.S. not a big deal. One day they the stopped him twice on the same highway. Different cops. He got pi$$ed the second time, and got his wife on the phone etc. Basically she just told him pay the 100 THB. I guess he just started looking at it as an additional toll.

Another story. I was standing outside MBK near the BTS station smoking. I threw down my cigarette butt when I was finished and went to walk back into the mall. Two cops walked up to me and each grabbed one of my arms and said "come with us" So I went with them to this desk they had set up. There's was another farang there with his Thai girlfriend. I had only been in Thailand for less than a month at this point, so I called the (bar)girl/long-haired dictionary I was with at the time and told her to come out of the store. She talked to the cops and explained to me that since I threw my cigarette butt down there's a fine for littering. 500THB. I gave the cop the money. He told the girl, "ask him if he wants a receipt." Of course I said no. The cop took the 500 THB, folded it up and put it in his front shirt pocket and said have a nice day. Later after living in Thailand for awhile, I learned that these guys weren't really cops at all, and if I would have just told them to pi$$ off, there wasn't much they could do about it.

That's just the way it is. And it's not just the police. There's some kind of mentality going on there where they assume that farangs have an unlimited supply of money.

I totaly understand about this. I understand about bribes ect and corruption. Ive read alot and have seen it happen to other Farang. I have been stopped and asked questions. I think since I speak thai decently im short I allways smile and just sorta fit in. Even with the police ive run into, they have been polite to me and have even changed their minds on any type bribes. I am not sure if its just good luck or I have not ran into someone who thinks im actualy a ATM Machine. My Thai friends and fiances family have never expected a cent from me none of them are upper class and they just enjoy my company and love practicing english with me. Last trip I had we went to a Navy yard and 8 of my friends showed up from differnt parts of BKK they all paid for dinner and the gas there and back. I never paid a cent.

My Thai friends and soon to be family stick up for me too when asked or talked to. Doesnt matter if its a vendor or a police officer. Ive allways politely thanked police officers when they start talking to me for keeping me safe in Thailand while im there. It seems to give some face. I guess ive allways been one to defuse a situation before it happens too.

Maybe I am silly for thinking that but I havent ran into any issues yet and I dont think I will. Maybe its because im running into real police because im not sitting in congested Farang areas. Maybe I just have good Karma for helping keep Thailand clean. I guess Ill never know.

Josh

event.png

Timeline

So it looks like were not the only one.

event.png

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Is that one year validity or 6 months? Mine was done since around February 2013. My case is still in NVC and waiting for the case completion. I wonder do I need the updated police certificate from Thailand?

I'd say no, since I'm assuming you are IR-1/CR-1. It might be a good idea to indicate that in your profile. Since you've already submitted the police report to NVC, there is no reason to get an updated copy.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline

I'd say no, since I'm assuming you are IR-1/CR-1. It might be a good idea to indicate that in your profile. Since you've already submitted the police report to NVC, there is no reason to get an updated copy.

Yes, I am applying CR-1 visa. I got the check list for IV but that is only for my stay in Canada. So, I sent the copy of my PR card here. THey dont mention anything about any of my police certificates which were dated around end of Jan or early Feb 2013.

I worried that should I need to submit the updated police certificates on interview or bring the original police certificates?

Thank you for your help.

Timeline

Yes, I am applying CR-1 visa. I got the check list for IV but that is only for my stay in Canada. So, I sent the copy of my PR card here. THey dont mention anything about any of my police certificates which were dated around end of Jan or early Feb 2013.

I worried that should I need to submit the updated police certificates on interview or bring the original police certificates?

Thank you for your help.

Now I'm really confused. Did you submit a police certificate for both Canada and Thailand to NVC? Did you live in Canada over 6 months? For CR-1, you send the police certificates to NVC.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I totaly understand about this. I understand about bribes ect and corruption. Ive read alot and have seen it happen to other Farang. I have been stopped and asked questions. I think since I speak thai decently im short I allways smile and just sorta fit in. Even with the police ive run into, they have been polite to me and have even changed their minds on any type bribes. I am not sure if its just good luck or I have not ran into someone who thinks im actualy a ATM Machine. My Thai friends and fiances family have never expected a cent from me none of them are upper class and they just enjoy my company and love practicing english with me. Last trip I had we went to a Navy yard and 8 of my friends showed up from differnt parts of BKK they all paid for dinner and the gas there and back. I never paid a cent.

My Thai friends and soon to be family stick up for me too when asked or talked to. Doesnt matter if its a vendor or a police officer. Ive allways politely thanked police officers when they start talking to me for keeping me safe in Thailand while im there. It seems to give some face. I guess ive allways been one to defuse a situation before it happens too.

Maybe I am silly for thinking that but I havent ran into any issues yet and I dont think I will. Maybe its because im running into real police because im not sitting in congested Farang areas. Maybe I just have good Karma for helping keep Thailand clean. I guess Ill never know.

Josh

This is a first for me. A guy that thinks speaking Thai caused him to be short, smile, fit in and be lucky. Then again it could be that cleaning up Thailand is the real key to good karma.

I know Karee and my husband didn't bother with any of that. I also know they have good karma because they both have Thai wives.

I don't know how long you have spent in Thailand and I hope your luck remains as it has been. But if you stay there long enough you will encounter a side of Thailand that you may not be prepared for. Thais speak Thai. They are short and smile while extorting anyone they can. It is somewhat true that the worst of the worst is found in the cities. But even where we live there are similar problems. Farang and Thai are stopped every day on the streets where they are extorted. Thai police are given a daily quota to fill and are not allowed to stop working for that day until its filled. However in the villages they don't run these scams simply because they know the people don't have the money required nor the volume of humans to hunt down. You find the cops where the cash is. Interesting to note they don't really write tickets as we see here.

Timeline

Now I'm really confused. Did you submit a police certificate for both Canada and Thailand to NVC? Did you live in Canada over 6 months? For CR-1, you send the police certificates to NVC.

This got straightened out via PM. She's good to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.