joshandgigi

Thai Police Cert

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Gigi went and got her cert today it cost only 150 bhat. 100 for the certificate and 50 to mail.

They stated up to 3 weeks to send.

Just thought id keep people posted.

Thanks for the update. That policy seems to change now and then, so it's good to hear what the latest is.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Gigi went and got her cert today it cost only 150 bhat. 100 for the certificate and 50 to mail.

They stated up to 3 weeks to send.

Just thought id keep people posted.

How did she pay the fee? Was it in cash or deposited in an account?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

How did she pay the fee? Was it in cash or deposited in an account?

I belive just with Bhat. She had to fill out paperwork. She paid 50 more bhat to have it sent instead of picked up...

event.png

Timeline

I belive just with Bhat. She had to fill out paperwork. She paid 50 more bhat to have it sent instead of picked up...

Thanks. This may serve to help people that are told a huge variety of prices and methods. That would include me in a recent case I helped with.

Timeline

Thanks. This may serve to help people that are told a huge variety of prices and methods. That would include me in a recent case I helped with.

I have friends in BKK im sure they would be willing to help if you needed anyone to go check too. Also Gigi has been helping lots of people on thai sites as of recent.

A scan of the NOA 2 and my Passport scan was required .

event.png

Timeline

I have friends in BKK im sure they would be willing to help if you needed anyone to go check too. Also Gigi has been helping lots of people on thai sites as of recent.

Was that a scan of the passport or the beneficiary, or the petitioner?

Timeline

Was that a scan of the passport or the beneficiary, or the petitioner?

They wanted my front page of my passport. Im the petitioner.

So She had a photo of it from her phone in case I lost my passport and she just printed it out and that was good enough for them.

event.png

Timeline

Thanks but I have been in the USA for years now. I have never seen a situation where the USCs passport was required to get a police cert. I think people should be very careful in giving this info to anyone including the Thai cops. Usually the NOA will be enough. That is if there is anything usual about this aspect.

Timeline

Thanks but I have been in the USA for years now. I have never seen a situation where the USCs passport was required to get a police cert. I think people should be very careful in giving this info to anyone including the Thai cops. Usually the NOA will be enough. That is if there is anything usual about this aspect.

If I was in thailand and asked for my passport I would let them see it a picture isnt any differnt. The hotels want copies of it and some bike shops hold onto it. I dont see your point.

event.png

Timeline

That's probably because you aren't Thai. I lived there for 35 years so I am more than aware of what the Thai police may do. The point is I have never seen a case where they asked for a copy of the USCs passport for this purpose. This web site is used to inform people of what is required in each phase of the process. This police cert process is ever changing and there is a lot of bad info such as what you think was required. I don't mean you made a mistake but they have never asked for this before that I know of including in my own case nor the case I just helped with a week ago.

For example what she had to pay for the report. Of course I believe what you said here but there is a member that is reading these posts that just paid way more than that. I myself just paid a lot more than that for a report for another member. This is very difficult to explain or understand for the next person that reads this. The corruption can be terrible when you deal with the Thai police. Giving them copies of your passport may turn out ok for you in your case but if it isn't required it shouldn't be done.

Maybe Karee will chime in with some Thai cop info.

Timeline

They wanted my front page of my passport. Im the petitioner.

So She had a photo of it from her phone in case I lost my passport and she just printed it out and that was good enough for them.

I don;t understand what you or your passport has to do with a Thai police report. Pretty sure I would not want my passport number floating around. I wonder if ning has run in to this.

I really hope they stick to that for police report. Almost everybody seems to report a different experience. When Pui got her police report just over 2 years ago she had no problem and was not asked for any tea money.

Ning, why do you think giving the USC's front page of the passport is bad? I agree it should not have to be given for the police report.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

I really hope they stick to that for police report. Almost everybody seems to report a different experience. When Pui got her police report just over 2 years ago she had no problem and was not asked for any tea money.

Ning, why do you think giving the USC's front page of the passport is bad? I agree it should not have to be given for the police report.

I just talked to the police in BKK by phone several times over the past couple of weeks. I had sent them info required to obtain someones report. That did not include the USCs passport info. The police I spoke to never asked for that info so I know in recent times it isn't required. I also know in the O Ps case they did and it could be as simple as a cop there not understanding their own policies or procedures. This is nothing new because its a huge department.

The subject of corruption is very difficult to discuss here because its uniquely Thai and ever changing. What the O Ps fiancé experienced is exactly what it is supposed to be as far as cost. Not long back there was no fee at all. The fee may be an attempt by the honest police to help stop the corruption.

That said it didn't stop the cop I worked with in the recent case. I was asked to deposit money in what he said was an official account. I am not going to go into what took place after that here but I will tell you the money was deposited because I had no choice if the report was to be done in the time the person I helped expected.

Because I know the USCs passport isn't required I question why they ask. These Thai police have done many, many things in the past that we would never see here in the USA. Providing them with anything they don't need could turn into a disaster. Can you imagine trying to accuse them of identity theft for example? Or having them pick up the traveling USC saying they were involved in a crime in Thailand that they knew nothing about? I just don't trust them with this info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't have anything to add to this. All I can say is that my wife never went to get the police report on her own. She paid some lawyer 5k THB in Chiang Mai to deal with it so she didn't have to travel to Bangkok and back.

Any time a Thai deals with the police, and the police know that there is a farang involved, the price/bribe/teamoney whatever you want to call it, is going to go up. Same thing when the police deal directly with a farang.

I'll tell a story. There's a guy that I worked with when I lived there. He's from the U.S. He would travel from his home in Rayong to BKK every Monday morning to work and then travel back home on Friday every week. This guy is about 6'4" and 250 or so, so he sticks out there. Well it's very common for him to get pulled over and jacked up by the cops. Usually costs him 100 THB or so. $3 U.S. not a big deal. One day they the stopped him twice on the same highway. Different cops. He got pi$$ed the second time, and got his wife on the phone etc. Basically she just told him pay the 100 THB. I guess he just started looking at it as an additional toll.

Another story. I was standing outside MBK near the BTS station smoking. I threw down my cigarette butt when I was finished and went to walk back into the mall. Two cops walked up to me and each grabbed one of my arms and said "come with us" So I went with them to this desk they had set up. There's was another farang there with his Thai girlfriend. I had only been in Thailand for less than a month at this point, so I called the (bar)girl/long-haired dictionary I was with at the time and told her to come out of the store. She talked to the cops and explained to me that since I threw my cigarette butt down there's a fine for littering. 500THB. I gave the cop the money. He told the girl, "ask him if he wants a receipt." Of course I said no. The cop took the 500 THB, folded it up and put it in his front shirt pocket and said have a nice day. Later after living in Thailand for awhile, I learned that these guys weren't really cops at all, and if I would have just told them to pi$$ off, there wasn't much they could do about it.

That's just the way it is. And it's not just the police. There's some kind of mentality going on there where they assume that farangs have an unlimited supply of money.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.