PalestineMyHeart

Babson College freshmen will endure sensitivity training due to 1978 anti-Semitic incident

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Apologies - I just assumed a lawsuit and court order.

Else, why would they be doing this, ages past the occurrence?

That's why I said I think there must be something more behind this than meets the eye....

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Give me a specific example of what you have in mind - including what subjects it would cover, who would be required to take it and when, who would design the course and teach it, etc.

Ok real plain and simple. Do you think sensitivity training is ever warranted at a school ?

Timeline

Ok real plain and simple. Do you think sensitivity training is ever warranted at a school ?

It might be. But it might not be. Need more specifics.

Do you think you could benefit from sensitivity training ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

It might be. But it might not be. Need more specifics.

Do you think you could benefit from sensitivity training ?

So you are ok with sensitivity raining in general if needed, just not this one.. Could it be because the remarks are anti-semantic

me sensitivity training.. That would not go well. I think people are entitled to believe what ever they want, and college is about an education not some social agenda.

I

So you are ok with sensitivity training in general if needed, just not this one.. Could it be because the remarks are anti-semantic

me sensitivity training.. That would not go well. I think people are entitled to believe what ever they want, and college is about an education not some social agenda.

I

Timeline

So you are ok with sensitivity raining in general if needed, just not this one.. Could it be because the remarks are anti-semantic

I

Your conclusion is not at all supported by my posts. In other words, you've made quite a leap there.

So - what are the remarks that you speak of that were antisemitic ? The remarks from 1978 ? Or were there any others that you know of, not mentioned in the OP article ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That's why I said I think there must be something more behind this than meets the eye....

ya, I don't understand what's going on here. There's a piece of the backstory, missing...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

ya, I don't understand what's going on here. There's a piece of the backstory, missing...

Definitely.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Well, you're speculating on what this "sensitivity training" would entail, as the article doesn't go into details.

However, it does mention that the staff will have to take a week-long training course. And it says the Anti-Defamation League is going to develop the programs.

According to the article, the perps in the cited incident were already punished and already had some "sensitivity training" - 35 years ago.

What is not clear is what exactly warranted this rather sudden move to create a new policy today citing an incident in 1978 - the spokesperson for the university declined to answer questions about any recent incidents that might have been a cause for concern, or might indicate a need for educating the students and staff.

I suspect there may be more to this than meets the eye - Schleshinger knows what it is, but isn't saying.

Also according to the article, it looks like the event had just been brought to his attention:

“Although it is some 35 years later, as president of this institution, I believe I have a fundamental responsibility to respond to what I have learned, including extending my most sincere public apology to members of the Babson and Brandeis communities for the unconscionable behaviors they experienced,” Schlesinger pontificated in a school press release.

The College Fix was able to reach Babson’s administration via email. Michael Chmura, a spokesman for the college, apparently ignored a question about any fresh acts of bias or racism on campus that might call for sensitivity training. Instead, Chmura blandly said the school is instituting the training “in (a) desire to support our diverse campus community.”

(Sorry for the double-quote, I don't know how to undo that.)

I get what you're saying, and I agree it seems pointless and unnecessary. My problem is with the reactionary language. It's making it sound like these "poor" students are having to endure some kind of hardship!

Again, either way... it's just sensitivity training. I guess I'm just not getting why this is such a big deal, whether we're talking about a short lecture or a week's course during orientation. What do you think it might entail that would make someone suspect something dastardly was going on?

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Timeline

Also according to the article, it looks like the event had just been brought to his attention:

(Sorry for the double-quote, I don't know how to undo that.)

I get what you're saying, and I agree it seems pointless and unnecessary. My problem is with the reactionary language. It's making it sound like these "poor" students are having to endure some kind of hardship!

Again, either way... it's just sensitivity training. I guess I'm just not getting why this is such a big deal, whether we're talking about a short lecture or a week's course during orientation. What do you think it might entail that would make someone suspect something dastardly was going on?

Dastardly ? I don't know about that.

But it seems very strange to institute this new policy on the basis of what the university gave as the reason: what appears to be an isolated incident that happened 35 years ago, and which was clearly addressed by the school at the time with punishment to the perps.

Unless there were recent incidents... this is the only thing that would make it make sense. But the school isn't saying, although they've brought the ADL on board to develop the program.

Lots of questions here about what's really going on.

Edited by Falastin_Qalbi

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015