dattilotech

After K1 marriage, how long for work or school?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I could not care less about your educational background, nor can I understand why anyone else would ever care here. You can share if you like, but I can assure you it will not insult me in the least. I did not insult your reading skills, by the way. I stated that you seem to have selective reading skills. Those two things are not the same.

You kept going on and on about how someone on a K-1 is eligible to file for the EAD before AOS. That is already an established fact, as was pointed out several times. That was not what was inaccurate, as was also pointed out.

It does not help anyone to give out bad advice. The practicabilities are indeed what counts. It is not helpful to tell someone to spend $380 on something that takes 60-90 days to receive and will expire when their 90 day I-94 does. It is much more helpful to let them know it is a waste of money for something that ends up being impractical because you have no time to actually put it to use. Then, explain that the fees for the I-765 and I-131 are waived when filed with a pending I-485, and the EAD/AP combo card that you will receive will be good for a year and is much more useful to use while waiting for the green card approval.

The fees should be known to people up front. They should also know that if you go the K-1 route, you will have a period of a few months where you cannot work while waiting on the EAD. You should either get married right away and send off the AOS paperwork as soon as possible, or skip the K-1 and go the CR-1 route instead so you are eligible to work as soon as you enter the US.

How many times did I say I agreed with you about the practicalities of doing what I suggested? Do you really have to repeat yourself? It must be been several! I have also told you in my last reply that I acknowledge that I should have worded my original statement better, didn't I? To say someone has 'selective reading skills' is to insult and question their capacity to read in a normal way, regardless of whether it is 'selective' or just 'reading skills'. You attack the person and not the ball, or as us educated people might call it, an ad hominem attack. I don't like to call into question anyone's abilities, skills or capacities, especially when I don't know them. If you have a problem with what I say then point it out, don't insult me or question my abilities instead because it's offensive and says more about you than it does the person you direct it at.

Well I think we've both said enough on this topic, I agreed with you in principle already. I have more to be doing with my time that having school yard quarrels about what you can and cannot do with a K1 visa because it certainly won't help me get mine and it would help anyone else here either.

How many times did I say I agreed with you about the practicalities of doing what I suggested? Do you really have to repeat yourself? It must be been several! I have also told you in my last reply that I acknowledge that I should have worded my original statement better, didn't I? To say someone has 'selective reading skills' is to insult and question their capacity to read in a normal way, regardless of whether it is 'selective' or just 'reading skills'. You attack the person and not the ball, or as us educated people might call it, an ad hominem attack. I don't like to call into question anyone's abilities, skills or capacities, especially when I don't know them. If you have a problem with what I say then point it out, don't insult me or question my abilities instead because it's offensive and says more about you than it does the person you direct it at.

Well I think we've both said enough on this topic, I agreed with you in principle already. I have more to be doing with my time that having school yard quarrels about what you can and cannot do with a K1 visa because it certainly won't help me get mine and it would help anyone else here either.

Word

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It was not to insinuate that you do not read in a 'normal way'. I was speaking of how you kept picking out only the points you wanted to in order to fit with trying to make yourself correct. That is why I compared it to selective hearing, where a person chooses to hear the things they want to and falls deaf to the rest. I did point out what I had a problem with, but your response is what made me repeat myself. I am sorry that you took it the way you did and felt so insulted by it.

I can completely agree that this dead horse has been thoroughly beaten.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I would like to add just one thing.

When making posts on VJ it’s important to note that many on here do not speak English as their first language. They don’t understand the subtleties and intricacies involved in theoretical arguments. It’s not really fair to them to put stuff on here that is not practical & sound advice.

This process is confusing and expensive enough as it is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.