slowlyman

What do you do about health insurance during the transition period

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

With the interview behind us, we're looking at the next challenges.

How do you handle health insurance between the time the beneficiary enters the country and the time you get married? I think most folks rely on employer based insurance. I believe you will need to be married before you can put your fiance on the company insurance, and there may be an additional waiting period after you sign up.

I'm self employed, so that creates a whole different set of problems. I've been calling around and nobody wants to even enroll her.

Just curious how others are handling this issue.

After our marriage , took the marriage certificate and his ss card in and added him to my insurance through my place of work. Getting married was the only way he could have gotten health coverage through my work , needed both documents stated above and it goes into affect July the 1st. Before he would just purchase travel insurance.

I can't get my insurance through his work - he is now 65 and qualifies for Medicare. He had been speaking to his insurance agent but now the agent has come back to say that I would have to be in the country for 6 months and have a medical before I could be accepted. I entered the US yesterday in my K1 visa. My understanding was that 'travel insurance' would no longer cover my situation as I am not 'visiting' the US. I've researched ex-pat medical insurance and have found some options. However, travel insurance would be a darn site cheaper, if it is applicable. I've found a company that would cover me even though I have already left the UK - http://www.work-and-travel-insurance.com/insurance-while-abroad/ and they seem to cover people on visas such as J1. Does anyone thing that 'travel insurance' is the way to go?

Slightly annoying as I asked my fiance on Wednesday if he thought I should get 'travel insurance' to at least cover my for the first month and he said 'No. It's okay. My insurance agent is on it.'

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Is insurance required? I have health insurance through my employer and I do have the ability to add a spouse, but that costs more than my monthly rent and I can't even come close to affording that, especially since my fiance won't be able to work for a bit. I didn't think it was required but now I'm starting to wonder.

It is not right now, but once "obamacare" goes into effect in 2014 you will be required by law to have health insurance. Its not a good idea to be without it though, god forbid something happen in the period that your fiance is uninsured medical bills would most certainly be more expensive then having paid for insurance would be.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Is insurance required? I have health insurance through my employer and I do have the ability to add a spouse, but that costs more than my monthly rent and I can't even come close to affording that, especially since my fiance won't be able to work for a bit. I didn't think it was required but now I'm starting to wonder.

Not required, but remmember, she is not elegable for any public aid. If something unforseen would happen and you end up at the ER. They will be looking to you for payment. And it aint gonna be cheap. At the very least, pick up a major medical policy. Something that kicks in at 5k or 10k. At least that would keep you out of bankruptcy.

Timeline

I can't get my insurance through his work - he is now 65 and qualifies for Medicare. He had been speaking to his insurance agent but now the agent has come back to say that I would have to be in the country for 6 months and have a medical before I could be accepted. I entered the US yesterday in my K1 visa. My understanding was that 'travel insurance' would no longer cover my situation as I am not 'visiting' the US. I've researched ex-pat medical insurance and have found some options. However, travel insurance would be a darn site cheaper, if it is applicable. I've found a company that would cover me even though I have already left the UK - http://www.work-and-travel-insurance.com/insurance-while-abroad/ and they seem to cover people on visas such as J1. Does anyone thing that 'travel insurance' is the way to go?

Slightly annoying as I asked my fiance on Wednesday if he thought I should get 'travel insurance' to at least cover my for the first month and he said 'No. It's okay. My insurance agent is on it.'

My only concern with using travel insurance would be the fine print. If you have a claim and they realize you entered on a K-1 and then started the AOS process. They might just decide you are not traveling, you are immigrating.

I would want clear instructions from the underwriter that your situation is covered.

Anytime there is a significant claim. The underwriter will go through your app with a fine tooth comb looking for any reason to deny coverage.

Edited by slowlyman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We normally get travel insurance but with a round trip ticket, coverage starts when you had out to the airport, and ends when you get back home, rates are based on your length of stay.

Obama never addressed the high cost of insurance, for a family plan paying around 14,500 bucks per year. Son has a 7,000 buck deductable on his plan and expecting another child, he has to first cover that $7,000 deductable, then stuck with a 20% co-payment after that. So his new child would run him about 10,000 bucks.

Told him when he was born, paid a flat fee of 464 bucks that covered prenatal care, delivery, and four days in the hospital, plus the post natal care for the him in the hospital.

Our heath cost today is nothing short of being criminal, so why are we not like the people in Brazil and protesting in the streets? And then the hospitals are complaining that they are going broke!

Wife works for a hospital, talking about layoff's meaning those that are left will have to make up for the difference. 40 hours is maximum for her, few years back cut off all overtime. But because she is conscientous will stay longer on her own time. Also suppose to get two 15 minute breaks and half hour for lunch, never gets breaks, to much to do, and rare to get her lunch half hour, brings her own lunch and takes a bite whenever she can. Yet they are going broke.

Timeline

We normally get travel insurance but with a round trip ticket, coverage starts when you had out to the airport, and ends when you get back home, rates are based on your length of stay.

Obama never addressed the high cost of insurance, for a family plan paying around 14,500 bucks per year. Son has a 7,000 buck deductable on his plan and expecting another child, he has to first cover that $7,000 deductable, then stuck with a 20% co-payment after that. So his new child would run him about 10,000 bucks.

Told him when he was born, paid a flat fee of 464 bucks that covered prenatal care, delivery, and four days in the hospital, plus the post natal care for the him in the hospital.

Our heath cost today is nothing short of being criminal, so why are we not like the people in Brazil and protesting in the streets? And then the hospitals are complaining that they are going broke!

Wife works for a hospital, talking about layoff's meaning those that are left will have to make up for the difference. 40 hours is maximum for her, few years back cut off all overtime. But because she is conscientous will stay longer on her own time. Also suppose to get two 15 minute breaks and half hour for lunch, never gets breaks, to much to do, and rare to get her lunch half hour, brings her own lunch and takes a bite whenever she can. Yet they are going broke.

Please stay on topic. I don;t want this very good discussion to degrade into a debate on our healthcare system.

It is not right now, but once "obamacare" goes into effect in 2014 you will be required by law to have health insurance. Its not a good idea to be without it though, god forbid something happen in the period that your fiance is uninsured medical bills would most certainly be more expensive then having paid for insurance would be.

I meant are you required to provide proof of insurance at any point.

It costs $860 per month for me to add a spouse to my employer's policy. I'm not asking because I'm stingy. It's literally a choice between paying for insurance for him and paying rent. I'm sure it's not a good idea, but if he doesn't have insurance there is a small chance he'll get so sick we can't pay for the care. If we don't pay rent, though, there's a 100% chance we'll get evicted.

If the exchanges don't provide anything affordable, we'll just have to pay the penalty and hope for the best until he gets insurance through his employer.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Timeline

You're right, I forgot about that. However I was talking with my accountant yesterday. She just attended a training meeting. She was told the requirement will most likely be put off a year or two because the co-ops are not ready.

Not required, but remmember, she is not elegable for any public aid. If something unforseen would happen and you end up at the ER. They will be looking to you for payment. And it aint gonna be cheap. At the very least, pick up a major medical policy. Something that kicks in at 5k or 10k. At least that would keep you out of bankruptcy.

I am the she, but thank you. This is the answer I was looking for.

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My only concern with using travel insurance would be the fine print. If you have a claim and they realize you entered on a K-1 and then started the AOS process. They might just decide you are not traveling, you are immigrating.

I would want clear instructions from the underwriter that your situation is covered.

Anytime there is a significant claim. The underwriter will go through your app with a fine tooth comb looking for any reason to deny coverage.

Which is why I'm not going to mess with "travelers" insurance, I'm going to get "inbound immigrant" insurance, as I mentioned in my first post. She isn't travelling on vacation, she will be permanently residing here.

You're right, I forgot about that. However I was talking with my accountant yesterday. She just attended a training meeting. She was told the requirement will most likely be put off a year or two because the co-ops are not ready.

You mean the individual mandate? It goes into effect at the start of 2014. I haven't heard anything in the news otherwise.

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

You mean the individual mandate? It goes into effect at the start of 2014. I haven't heard anything in the news otherwise.

Not been in the news, and nothing is for sure at this point. She said at the training meeting she attended. she was told it may get delayed in the eleventh hour because the co-ops are not set up in all states yet.

I am the she, but thank you. This is the answer I was looking for.

Sorry, I wasn;t paying attention. I "assumed" you were the petitioner.

Edited by slowlyman

Not been in the news, and nothing is for sure at this point. She said at the training meeting she attended. she was told it may get delayed in the eleventh hour because the co-ops are not set up in all states yet.

Sorry, I wasn;t paying attention. I "assumed" you were the petitioner.

Haha, sorry, I should've worded that differently. I am the petitioner, but I am also "the she" in the relationship ;) My fiance is a male.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.