Enigma11561

Selling flat in Belarus. How do you get money back to the US?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My wife is finishing the privatization of her flat in Belarus and already has a buyer. Her mom lives in her own flat so this one is no longer needed. I would appreciate any advice on how to bring/transfer this money back to the US, other than stuffing it in your socks. thanks.

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Well you can bring it in the form of travel checks ( not sure if the $10,000/ person rule applies to those), but you can also transfer it from the bank there to a bank acct in the US. But the transaction has to be made in person from Belarus.

Edited by Mariana2012

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

My wife is finishing the privatization of her flat in Belarus and already has a buyer. Her mom lives in her own flat so this one is no longer needed. I would appreciate any advice on how to bring/transfer this money back to the US, other than stuffing it in your socks. thanks.

My husband lives in the US but gets paid in the UK. He has used XE for ages and it's very reliable.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

you can also transfer it from the bank there to a bank acct in the US. But the transaction has to be made in person from Belarus.

I'm in Russia but this is still worth double-checking in my opinion: i transferred a substantial sum (over 10k USD) to my husband via electronic banking and i only had to confirm to them that the beneficiary was not a resident of Russia for them to process it (confirmation was also done through electronic banking channels). Maybe this could also work there? I'd just investigate which bank charges least for this. Mine charged $150 (that was their maximum fee for this type of transfer). From my experience as a bank employee, transactions in the office are usually more expensive.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well you can bring it in the form of travel checks ( not sure if the $10,000/ person rule applies to those), but you can also transfer it from the bank there to a bank acct in the US. But the transaction has to be made in person from Belarus.

Yep, they will just need your US bank's routing number, account number and Swift number (get from bank). We have monies transferred from her flat rentals to here all the time.

Only downside is the fluctuating Ruble - Dollar value.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This question comes up occasionally and there are some threads about it if you search. However, these types of questions are actually fairly country specific and, as you are probably aware, not simple. I don't know about Belarus, but Russia greatly impedes the operation of foreign banks on its soil. For smaller amounts, simply withdrawing cash at an ATM using a bank card can be a good method. If you chose the right banks you can get away without a fee. For the amounts you are talking about, you probably want to just bite the bullet and do a bank transfer. The fee will end up being a small amount compared to the total. You just need information about the US account you want to transfer the money to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

We are talking about maybe $40,000USD. She can deposit this in her local bank and take $10,000 cash back with her. I understand this is the max. But who wants to make 4 trips? I cannot find a Belarus bank with an office in the US much less in NY where we can simply withdraw the money. We do not mind paying some type of transfer fee ( like maybe at a western union office, if that is a viable option) but don't want to run into any conflicts either.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Don't need a bank with a US branch. Any major bank can make the international wire transfer. They will need the three numbers from your bank to complete the transactions. This is done all the time and Belarus banks know what to do.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are talking about maybe $40,000USD. She can deposit this in her local bank and take $10,000 cash back with her. I understand this is the max. But who wants to make 4 trips? I cannot find a Belarus bank with an office in the US much less in NY where we can simply withdraw the money. We do not mind paying some type of transfer fee ( like maybe at a western union office, if that is a viable option) but don't want to run into any conflicts either.

SHe can bring $40,000 cash back the $10,000 limit is for declaration. ALl she has to do is declare it at customs and she is fine. There is no "limit" on the amount of cash you can bring into the USA on a $10,000 limit on UNDECLARED cash.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

huh?

10,000 is NOT the max.

if one carries over 9,999.99 then it has to be declared at the Customs desk. That's all. She could bring in 40,000 usd in cash no problem, just fill out the form.

She's not taxed on it, either.

----

Would it make sense to get paid in Euros, then deposit it in some EU bank , instead? Then use the money there to set up a stock trading account? (all before she transits into the USA)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.