ReignDance

A question regarding taxes.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am in the process of collecting documents for my fiancee's interview date at the Jakarta embassy in Indonesia. I am not above the poverty line all by myself, so I am having my parents co-sponsor (we all live in the same house at this point in time). I worked at Walmart for approximately 1.5 months to 2 months last year and that's the only job I had in 2012. It was actually my first job ever. Walmart automatically took money from my pay check to pay for taxes, so I have indeed paid my taxes last year. I didn't file a tax return for 2012, though; and I think it's too late to do that. My parents have filed their tax returns for last year, however. So we have those.

Is it going to hurt me that I didn't file a tax return, even though I have paid my taxes already? I do have proof on my pay stubs that they've been paid. Thanks for any help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ReignDance,

There's a distinction between having taxes deducted from your paycheck and filing a tax return. When people say "I paid my taxes" they generally mean they filed a tax return.

It is very easy and not too late for you to file a return. If you haven't been claimed as a dependent by your parents (not sure how old you are but they are obviously supporting you so they may have claimed you) you would likely get all the money back that was deducted from your paycheck. So, I would strongly suggest you file a return. Since your income was low and you had deductions taken out, there's no penalty...you'd simply get a refund.

With regard to how it affects your qualifying financially, I can't say. But, if I may ask, how will you support your fiance if you've only ever worked for 1 1/2 to 2 months? You're responsible for your fiance when they arrive.

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.