Brazil to vote on eliminating tourist visas for USC's

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/5676/53/

Brazil Congress Votes this Month on Eliminating Visas for US Tourists

Written by Roberta Lopes

Thursday, 02 March 2006

Brazil's Minister of Tourism, Walfrido dos Mares Guia, speaking at the São Paulo Industrial Federation (Federação das Indústrias do Estado de São Paulo) (Fiesp), said he was in favor of eliminating the visa requirement for US tourists.

Mares Guia said the visa and a mandatory payment of US$ 100 was holding back the development of tourism in Brazil.

The Minister suggested that the visa could be issued when the US tourist arrives in Brazil, rather than beforehand (which would reduce red tape), and that the US$ 100 tax could be eliminated.

Spokespersons at the ministry said the proposed changes had gotten a favorable reception in Congress where a bill dealing with the subject is expected to be voted on by the end of March.

However, the Ministry of Foreign Relations says it is against eliminating the visa requirement based on the principle of reciprocity. In South America, only Brazil and Paraguay require US tourists to have visas, and only Brazil charges the US$100 tax.

I don't think dropping the fee will increase the US tourists in Brasil... :no: And if it does, I agree with it, just because of the fact of US tourists will bring money to my country. But seems the Real is not helping to invite US tourists.

However, Brasil just ask visas from countries that asks visas for Brazilians... What about US NOT ask visas for Brazilians??? :angry: That would be great!!!

Carol ;)

Maybe this would just be the start for them to apply as a VWP? I dunno..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I didn't find getting a Brazil visa a hassle, but some people would, and it does send the message that Brazil is not tourist friendly.

There is little chance of recipricol visa waiver program with Brazil. We have it with European countries, Japan and maybe a few others. The government says right on one of it's websites (state dept. or immigration, I forget which) that someone applying for a visa is presumed to be someone seeking immigration. It is very hit or miss for a Brazilian to get a visa. The US is concerned about people coming as a tourist and overstaying.

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I didn't find getting a Brazil visa a hassle, but some people would, and it does send the message that Brazil is not tourist friendly.

There is little chance of recipricol visa waiver program with Brazil. We have it with European countries, Japan and maybe a few others. The government says right on one of it's websites (state dept. or immigration, I forget which) that someone applying for a visa is presumed to be someone seeking immigration. It is very hit or miss for a Brazilian to get a visa. The US is concerned about people coming as a tourist and overstaying.

Bill

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bill

I think thats because there're a lot of brazilians there, i think after mexicans the brazilians are the second in illegal immigration.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.