Hotter Otter

What do you miss most about the UK?

131 posts in this topic

As I was walking the hound today I pondered on a few of the more subtle British things I will miss.

a) A spring day with fluffy white clouds and a rich blue sky and the converse in Autumn (sorry - Fall)

b) A proper British pub - sadly an endangered species dahnnn saarrfff

c) Small car spaces where (as a bloke) I can demonstrate my male ego by reverse parking

d) Being an easy hop to France

e) Easy access to over 2000 years of European art, history and culture

f) Living in such a diverse mix of cultures for the most part pretty well integrated and tolerant

I know the last one is open to discussion but living in the London where there are something like 250 recognised languages spoken I'd call that pretty diverse...

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I know the last one is open to discussion but living in the London where there are something like 250 recognised languages spoken I'd call that pretty diverse...

... and that's before you take into account the immigrant population. ;)

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

I miss public transport being available.

Being able to just go into the city centre whenever i felt like it.

Being able to spell the way i am now! laughing.gif

Other than that, i have tried not to let myself miss anything. Im finding the easiest way is to integrate and assimilate. As much as these local small town inbred types will let me rofl.gif They let me openly call them that. They must think im joking oops8rh.gif

I crossed the border into Canada last week to buy proper Cadburys! I got all of the best kinds and even some Malteasers. It was like heaven! Have to say i was thankful to be back home in the US after the horrendous driving, people refusing to let me swipe my debit card and narrow (almost Brit like) roads.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I love beans on toast. I find it hard to find beans not in tomato sauce over here. I dislike those kind I prefer them in a brown sugar type sauce..

Like the Bushs baked beans: http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/products/baked_beans/

I actually rarely see the ones in tomato sauce which was my preference at first and one of my "miss home" product (aside from good tinned spaghetti).

Timeline

If you're in the midwest, you can get Ribena at Meijer, but it's $5 - we still buy it though smile.png

This place is based in Chicago where I am and you can buy things online and they'll ship it to you: http://spencerfoods.com/ we go there for my guy's lucozade lol

I always get excited when people say "in the midwest" because I live in Iowa, the midwest. Nope. Shop doesn't exist anywhere near me.

I always get excited when people say "in the midwest" because I live in Iowa, the midwest. Nope. Shop doesn't exist anywhere near me.

Ah, I just looked and they're only in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. Eastern half of the midwest only, my apologies for not being more accurate in my description.

Timeline

Ah, I just looked and they're only in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. Eastern half of the midwest only, my apologies for not being more accurate in my description.

I know it sucks! Raises another oddity though... Chicago is only 3-4 hours drive from me (depending on traffic). In Australia I lived 3 hours from Melbourne. Driving there wasn't a big deal and we did it often (every other month if not more) but for some odd reason we've only been to Chicago three times in the 3 years we've lived in Iowa (honeymoon, visit my BIL who was visiting, and when mum visited). I could get all sorts of Aussie goodies in Chicago I'm sure. There's got to be international food stores all over the place there... I still don't have the inclination to drive to chicago though... gas mileage? Stupid drivers? Tolls? I should do it some day... maybe...

Thank goodness there are online shops that will ship it for my convenience :D I miss blackcurrant juice. Apple blackcurrant... mmmm.

I know it sucks! Raises another oddity though... Chicago is only 3-4 hours drive from me (depending on traffic). In Australia I lived 3 hours from Melbourne. Driving there wasn't a big deal and we did it often (every other month if not more) but for some odd reason we've only been to Chicago three times in the 3 years we've lived in Iowa (honeymoon, visit my BIL who was visiting, and when mum visited). I could get all sorts of Aussie goodies in Chicago I'm sure. There's got to be international food stores all over the place there... I still don't have the inclination to drive to chicago though... gas mileage? Stupid drivers? Tolls? I should do it some day... maybe...

Thank goodness there are online shops that will ship it for my convenience biggrin.png I miss blackcurrant juice. Apple blackcurrant... mmmm.

If it makes you feel any better you've probably been to Chicago more times in 3 years than most people in the Chicago suburbs have ;)

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This is probably similar on VJ to hitting a wasps nest with a stick but I'm going to miss British words and proper spelling! 'Theater' and 'center' are ones that really irritate me. As a Devonian I'm going to miss hearing local phrases such as 'alright me lover' and 'where's that too?' as well!

One thing I'm not going to miss is local news headlines such as "man overcharged in shop" and "seagulls steal pasties". Things actually happen in Boston!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

This is probably similar on VJ to hitting a wasps nest with a stick but I'm going to miss British words and proper spelling! 'Theater' and 'center' are ones that really irritate me. As a Devonian I'm going to miss hearing local phrases such as 'alright me lover' and 'where's that too?' as well!

One thing I'm not going to miss is local news headlines such as "man overcharged in shop" and "seagulls steal pasties". Things actually happen in Boston!

These pesky Yanks really have something against the letter "u" don't they?

Mind you, I'd far rather hear about pastie-stealing seagulls than the continual stream of depressing news stories we get here. :(

Edited by Pooky

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.