Hotter Otter

What do you miss most about the UK?

131 posts in this topic

I carried a large jar of Branston Pickle all the way to Washington where I met my fiance for a brief holiday . She flew in from San Fran and I from London.

Having made sure it got all the way there I was somewhat disappointed to find out that she'd packed it in her carry on for the flight back to SFO and then had it confiscated where I'm sure it went down a treat with other foods that had been confiscated because of "security issues".

I had an acquaintance bringing me a pint of vanilla extract back from Mexico (the most awesome vanilla) and it was confiscated on the plane. :( I thought he probably forgot to buy it and was lying to me. Maybe I believe after hearing your story.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I had an acquaintance bringing me a pint of vanilla extract back from Mexico (the most awesome vanilla) and it was confiscated on the plane. sad.png I thought he probably forgot to buy it and was lying to me. Maybe I believe after hearing your story.

I buy a Mexican vanilla from the 99 cent Only store here in SoCal. The name brand is Molina. It is my favourite extract to use. I was just checking the bottle and it looks like it actually comes from Mexico

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I buy a Mexican vanilla from the 99 cent Only store here in SoCal. The name brand is Molina. It is my favourite extract to use. I was just checking the bottle and it looks like it actually comes from Mexico

I buy mine from Aldi in the US. It's really good and about $1.87. I can't believe the price of it in Meijers and the like.

I buy mine from Aldi in the US. It's really good and about $1.87. I can't believe the price of it in Meijers and the like.

I will look around for it. I forgot that I've moved to the big city now and might find Mexican vanilla here. We have a new Aldi plus lots of Mexican grocery stores. ¿Dónde está la vainilla? Thanks! Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I'm all posh and I buy Madagascan vanilla beans from the cooks supply store. :P

Wots that when it's at home?

I went to La Michoacana Carniceria ( http://www.lamichoacanameatmarket.com/ ) and got my vanilla and some galletas. No poshness there...just a small market. My husband picked up some Worchestershire sauce and said "this looks really out of place in here."

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I have well and truly bookmarked that page! Always forget about amazon! (So happy right now, thank you! haha)

USCIS (239 days):

04.18.2013 - NOA1

12.13.2013 - NOA2 via email; I-130 approved. Shipped to NVC

NVC (274 days):

12.30.2013 - Arrived at NVC

01.27.2014 - Received case no. & IIN

02.07.2014 - Completed & submitted DS-261 form online

02.13.2014 - Paid AOS bill

02.18.2014 - AOS showing as 'paid'

03.18.2014 - Invoiced for IV bill (finally!)

03.19.2014 - Made payment for IV bill

03.21.2014 - IV bill showing PAID

03.24.2014 - Completed DS-260 online

03.29.2014 - Mailed IV Packet

04.26.2014 - IV packet all approved, false checklist from NVC for AOS packet

05.07.2014 - AOS packet sent

06.12.2014 - AOS packet scanned in (took them THAT LONG to do it)

07.29.2014 - Received checklist via email

07.30.2014 - Sent re-filled AOS form, as per checklist instructions

09.24.2014 - Case Complete (FINALLY)

09.30.2014 - Case leaves NVC

Embassy:

10.29.2014 - Medical

11.04.2014 - Interview in London - APPROVED

11.05.2014 - CEAC - Issued

11.07.2014 - Courier email

11.10.2014 - Passport and visa received via DX courier

In the USA:

12.02.2014 - POE (Denver)

12.24.2014 - ELIS changed to "In Process"

01.05.2015 - Greencard received in mail

ROC:
10.05.2016 - NOA1

12.13.2016 - Biometrics

11.13.2017 - Infopass Appt.

03.30.2018 - Approval

04.05.2018 - Greencard Arrived

People that actually understand a dry sarcastic sense of humor without having to explain that I'm trying to be funny.

Black Humor, it just dosen't exist here.

THIS !

I'm still struggling to see how far i can push the humour with Americans, i'm not totally sarcastic, but there has been many occasions where somebody i am talking to will not understand my response and then either apologise for offending me or think i'm a total #######. The only person who really understands my humour here in the US is my wife, She has to keep explaining to her friends that they dont offend me when they make those oh so cliche "harry potter" jokes, they just don't understand the sarcasm in my responses.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Americans often don't get our British humour, especially irony. A lot of my jokes need to change before I move. I'm going to miss the standard workplace/pub humour but luckily my wife is a kindred spirit when it comes to a sense of humour.

A good very recent example of the US lack of irony... "These charges [against Edward Snowden] send a clear message, the spokesman said. In the United States, you can't spy on people."

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lots of black humour here, Bill Crosby, Richard Pryor, the list goes on.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The only chocolate there I regularly eat are milkduds, which I love. They're just chewy toffee in chocolate.

I do go in for all the novelty stuff though - they have like, 6 types of M&Ms at the moment and half a dozen different mars bars and weird flavoured kitkats, so I generally will try each type once if only to dismiss them as not as good as the originals. smile.png

that's so funny that you mention Milk Duds -they are my fiance's favorite american candy when he's here. smile.png

He also said the Cadbury isn't the same and doesn't like it in America except for the super yummy Cadbury mini eggs - he likes the American version better (as do I). smile.png

My favorite candy from the UK which I always take a few bars back with me when I visit is Milka Daim bars. yum... wub.png

Ok I have several business ideas here then! tongue.png (And Ribena isn't the same, but I'd settle for it!) This is actually the thing I'll miss the most I reckon!

I ordered Ribena online once for my fiance (he's from the UK) and when we got it, it was past the due date so just be careful if you order anything online. smile.png I wound up finding it at Wegman's and an Irish store at the mall so I haven't had to order it again. smile.png

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Americans often don't get our British humour, especially irony. A lot of my jokes need to change before I move. I'm going to miss the standard workplace/pub humour but luckily my wife is a kindred spirit when it comes to a sense of humour.

You don't need to change your jokes. Given enough exposure, Americans in general will reach a level of understanding that allows them to catch a glimpse of what makes your jokes funny. :whistle:

Or, like me, you can tell bad jokes with a straight face and completely flummox them. ;)

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

The humor doesn't phase me (though I'm probably not the best example)... my favorite comedies are British... but I can't tell when you all are teasing, and it has gotten me into embarrassing situations on more than one occasion :P

I was at a bbq somewhere outside Manchester and somehow caught the attention of about half of the other guests. After about 15 minutes of conversation it suddenly dawned on me that they'd been teasing me the entire time (in a loving way). I spent the rest of the evening just talking to the Brazilian *lol* ;)

My fiance's favorite thing to do is call a food item by an incorrect, obscure, or antiquated name to see if I get fooled into thinking that's what it's called there normally. I usually do cray5ol.gif

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Whilst the British accent (do we have one ? ) can be a problem at times for me in the US it's often the use of seemingly obvious idiomatic English that causes problems. Simple (to me anyway) phrases like "spot on" will often cause a blank look. I don't seem to have any problems understanding American language because the differences tend to be about different names for things rather than the bits we stick in our British conversation.

My partner's US born kids love taking the mickey (does that translate?) out of my accent and their rendition of "spot on" is er, spot on....

Richard

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.