22 posts in this topic

I have been around a lot longer than you have this is my second account created after my first time through k1 and I have been in the Nigerian community for decades and know dozens of couples that come from Nigeria and marry with a B2. They get away with it 75% of the time but for those that it doesn't work out for it goes very badly.

Please provide links to the threads of someone who it did not work out for. We are always looking for more information on here, to help us provide better advice, so, since these threads were not posted in the AOS from other visa forum, we didn't see them and we need this information to help others.

The only people who were not successful at AOS that I have seen had procedural issues with their case - didn't respond to an RFE in time, for example. I have not seen one case in this forum where someone was denied for intent; in fact, we have provided you and others many times with the exact passage in the field adjudicators' manual where it specifies that intent can not be used to deny an application. I have been on this forum specifically for 3.5 years; I don't go into the K1 forum and give advice there because I never went through the K1 process and do not have sufficient (or any) experience to give appropriate advice.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

These people aren't VJ users they are southern California Nigerians . Actually when I was young and not as aware of immigration policy my ex and I adjusted from a visitors visa and they were giving us heck and might have denied us had they not become so distracted by the fact we met by computer. They had never heard of that before and it brought quite a few people in asking questions about how you could do that . This was back in 1985

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Hello everyone,

Sorry to hijack this thread, I just want some insight on my situation that seems to be relevant to the topic of discussion. I am in the US on a B2 visa and my stay is about to expire in a month. I am here on sabbatical leave from work in Manila visiting my boyfriend of 4 years whom I met in Manila while he was working there. I've been to traveling to the US before with no intention whatsoever to overstay but about 2 days ago my bf proposed and I said yes. He wants none of the long distance and the traveling anymore and suggests that we marry and start a family in the US. I'm not all too thrilled about going this route because of the unfinished business I have in Manila. For one, I have a car, dogs, friends and a job waiting for me there but I do love him and want to commit to a life with him. If I do decide to marry and apply for an AOS what are my chances??? Manila is a high fraud country, same as the poster and I fear I will be prejudiced by this. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Use this guide - http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 and don't worry about everyone freaking out about intent - it is not used as a reason to deny. Most of us were never even asked a question about it at our interviews. The 30/60/90 day rule is also a fallacy. Study the guide, try filling out the forms, collect the documents needed, and if you have any questions, just ask! Spend some time looking around this forum - it is invaluable.

Actually, the 30/60/90 rule is not a fallacy. The text of this rule can be found on 9 FAM 40.63 N4.7. The rule states when a B-2 visitor informs an immigration officer that his or her visit is for tourism, and the visitor violates this status by doing something contrary to B-2 conditions (get married and take permanent residence), there will be a presumption of fraudulent misrepresentation if the violation happened within 30 days of admission. However, this presumption is rebuttable if the violation happened within 60 days of admission. This rule is not substantive, merely procedural which means it should be treated as directory by a USCIS officer and should not even be taken into account in AOS.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Actually, the 30/60/90 rule is not a fallacy. The text of this rule can be found on 9 FAM 40.63 N4.7. The rule states when a B-2 visitor informs an immigration officer that his or her visit is for tourism, and the visitor violates this status by doing something contrary to B-2 conditions (get married and take permanent residence), there will be a presumption of fraudulent misrepresentation if the violation happened within 30 days of admission. However, this presumption is rebuttable if the violation happened within 60 days of admission. This rule is not substantive, merely procedural which means it should be treated as directory by a USCIS officer and should not even be taken into account in AOS.

You just joined today. The rule is not a thing. It never was, and intent and all of that has been covered by the BIA. Plus the "rule" is in FAM which USCIS doesn't use. Please read up some more before getting on this ridiculous bandwagon.

Manila is not a country, and the Philippines is high fraud ish, but nothing in the realm of Nigeria. Shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I got marriage march of last year we were living in Braszil in december we came to spent the holiday if the family and we decide to move i am here since there i just sent the paper works to USCIS yous guys think can be some issue???

06/14/2013 (day 0) - AOS packet sent via Express mail (I-130, I-485, I-765)
06/17/2013 (day 3) - Delivered to USCIS Chicago
06/20/2013 (day 6) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation email. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.
06/21/2013 (day 7) - Checks cashed
06/25/2013 (day 11) - Receive 3 NOA's by mail.
07/01/2013 (day 17) - Biometrics appointment 07/16/2013
07/05/2013 (day 21) - Biometrics completed by walk in
07/16/2013 (day 32) - Original Biometrics appointment
07/24/2013 (day 40) - I-485 status online changed to "testing e interview"
07/26/2013 (day 42) - I-485 status showing the interview date.
07/29/2013 (day 45) - Receive NOA about the interview appointment on 08/28/2013
08/28/2013 (day 75) - Interview
08/29/2013 (day 76) - Approved - green card in a production!!

09/09/2013 - Green Card arrived!!

ROC

08/05/2015 (day 00) - Sent via USPS (I-751)

08/07/2015 (day 02) - Delivered to USCIS California

08/11/2015 (day 06) - Check cashed

08/15/2015 (day 10) - Receive NOA by mail

08/18/2015 (day 13) - Receive Biometrics appointment 09/03/2015

09/03/2015 (day 29) - Biometrics completed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.