dukeandduchess

HELP! Green Card MIA - Need Advice

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Rule #1 about USPS... they know nothing about the mail they deliver, nor do they care.

Peachy, actually the post guy in my small town does. My GC ended up being delivered to the church down the street because the girl that was covering for him got the numbers mixed up 1353 instead of 1335. It was supposed to have been delivered on a Friday. I had followed delivery on the link and freaked out when I didn't get it...blah blah blah. My regular mailman Dave, was back at work on Monday. When he walked up to my mailbox, he had a priority post envelope in his hand. He told me that the church never gets PP and that he checked and saw that it was for me. It turned out it was my GC. My mailman Dave is awesome!!

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

3 cheers for Mailman Dave!

Exactly!! Today I had anniversary cards come to the house from friends up north and he saw that I was home so he knocked on the door because he didn't want to fold the cards to make them fit in the mailbox. He is so sweet. I keep telling myself that I should make him some baked goods.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I don't fault you for your absolute frustration. USCIS makes a big deal out of filing a change of address as soon as possible, quicker than even work or the IRS want to know. So we submit our electronic data into the void and have no way to determine whether or not the request is received, uploaded into a file, or something else. That's not terribly transparent, and it's extremely frustrating.

Could they not take a leaf from the Secretary of State in most states, where electronic updates to basic account information are possible? e.g., update your address, phone number, preferred email address? It's very similar to the case filing and notification system already in place. But at least that way we'd have some record of what went in when, and in case something looks off (wrong street, or it's 'Main Avenue' or 'East Main' instead of 'Main Street' or 'West Main'...), there's room for action.

USPS is highly variable in quality. I try to cultivate a relationship of some kind with my mail carrier because I rely on those Amazon parcels showing up and important documentation as well! My carrier in Chicagoland was great, and I waited with a holiday card for her. It helps when you know the general delivery window (morning, noon, night...) and the name, at least. I received enough mail by hand from her to have some kind of relationship or, better, let her know when I was looking out for something. But that may not be possible for everyone.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.