dhr3

CR-1 interview in GZ approved, yay!

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

A week after our 'approval' letter, they sent an email (to the email address we used to select our document delivery on ustraveldocs) asking for another police certificate. It turns out the one we included was only valid in her hometown and not all of China. I'm sorry I didn't follow-up right away, it's just been pretty annoying.

---

This will be the fourth time we've had to go to her hometown to try to get this thing. Very small town in Henan, a lot of corruption in the local government, getting this police certificate has been a nightmare every time. You take the train 15 hours there, they tell you the local PSB is only open 1-3 on days when the market is open, then you wait for that day and when you go in, they tell you the boss isn't there so they can't do it until he gets back. We learned that if you give them some extra money, the boss is suddenly back, only they won't write you the real police certificate, maybe because that would make them bear some liability for it. The second last time we tried to get it, they wrote the wrong ID number -- when we tried to get it fixed, they just ended up screaming at us to get out of the building. Maybe if we bribe them more this time, we will be able to get them to do it right.

A week after our 'approval' letter, they sent an email (to the email address we used to select our document delivery on ustraveldocs) asking for another police certificate. It turns out the one we included was only valid in her hometown and not all of China. I'm sorry I didn't follow-up right away, it's just been pretty annoying.

---

This will be the fourth time we've had to go to her hometown to try to get this thing. Very small town in Henan, a lot of corruption in the local government, getting this police certificate has been a nightmare every time. You take the train 15 hours there, they tell you the local PSB is only open 1-3 on days when the market is open, then you wait for that day and when you go in, they tell you the boss isn't there so they can't do it until he gets back. We learned that if you give them some extra money, the boss is suddenly back, only they won't write you the real police certificate, maybe because that would make them bear some liability for it. The second last time we tried to get it, they wrote the wrong ID number -- when we tried to get it fixed, they just ended up screaming at us to get out of the building. Maybe if we bribe them more this time, we will be able to get them to do it right.

So sorry to hear about the hassle with the police cert... Really hope they get it right this time!! Good luck!!

August 2008 - met when we were both living in England

February 2009 - began dating

May 28, 2011 - got engaged

August 5, 2011 - got married (in England)

September 29, 2011 - moved to Mexico

VISA PROCESS:

December 3, 2012 - sent I-130 to Mexico City (DCF)

December 6, 2012 - I-130 approved

December 14, 2012 - NVC case number assigned and instruction letter sent from Juarez Consulate but we NEVER received it

March 4, 2013 - called to check about our case and received our NVC case number and Invoice number

March 9, 2013 - submitted DS-260 online

April 17, 2013 - interview date - visa approved!!!

July 11, 2013 - POE: entered US through Dallas, TX

July 22, 2013 - Social Security Card delivered

August 22, 2013 - Green Card delivered

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

---

Damn, that stinks like poo.

A "fine" example of how "power breeds corruption".

Did you go with your wife to get the police report? I wonder if they're playing games because of your presence? Mabe your wife can go with another male family memeber from her hometown who is older...like an uncle?

Do you guys know anyone in town, or outside of town that has some clout to help get this done correctly?

I wish you the best.

Timeline

Thanks for the kind words... The first time I went together with her, and we quickly learned that I shouldn't. Second and third time she went together with her father. Good suggestion about the older males. This time, only her father is going (and I had to go back to the US for work, but I'm pretty useless anyway). They got there Monday night and have been trying to get it all week, but no luck so far. Yesterday poor Lao Ba left at 5 AM, waited outside in the summer heat while they were "in a meeting". "Meeting" ended at noon, and they closed for the day right after. The office will be closed tomorrow too (of course, since tomorrow is Friday) so now they need until next Monday or Tuesday to try again. But apparently the office treats us better than it treats the farmers, so at least we have that going for us. And they brought a lot to bribe the officials when the time comes. I'm always surprised no one else has had any similar experiences -- I would have thought a lot of small towns in China are the same way.

Damn, that stinks like poo.

A "fine" example of how "power breeds corruption".

Did you go with your wife to get the police report? I wonder if they're playing games because of your presence? Mabe your wife can go with another male family memeber from her hometown who is older...like an uncle?

Do you guys know anyone in town, or outside of town that has some clout to help get this done correctly?

I wish you the best.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Well, 10 weeks after getting "approved" at the interview, finally have the visa in hand now. Yay. I think I need to change the title of this post.

It was basically 4 weeks to get a new police certificate (yep, 4 weeks in a ratty hotel in her hometown), 5 weeks between mailing it in and getting the 'issued' status, and then 1 week to have it delivered Guangzhou->Beijing. Wow, what a trip. I guess the message I learned is that until you are actually holding the visa in your hand, anything can and will happen. Good luck to everyone else still waiting out there.

Edited by dhr3

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It's about time ! Congratulations ! Hint: Plane ticket rate change after 26 Aug 2013.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.