GandD

Our very own P&R off topic thread (merged)

2,992 posts in this topic

is this the place you are talking about?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/malibu-seafood-fresh-fish-market-and-patio-cafe-malibu

My husband and I ate there a few years back. We had the clam chowder and battered fish. It was pretty good. Tasted really fresh. and the views were awesome.

I was referring to this.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/santa-monica-seafood-santa-monica?sort_by=date_desc

I haven't been there.

For lobster dates, my husband and I go to "The Lobster" at the Santa Monica Pier. That's where we had our first Valentine's Day as a married couple and we go back there occasionally.

http://thelobster.com/

We also used to visit Newport Seafood in San Gabriel every Saturday when we were still residing in Monrovia. Their lobsters and crabs are often cooked well the Asian way.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/newport-tan-cang-san-gabriel

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

fresh fish can be had on either coast. I'll suggest to anyone complaining about not finding it, you aren't looking at the right places.

Most times, you have to find a wholesale place that buys off the boat for resale

or

find the larger Asian market in your area - they always have fish in the tank still alive.

Stop b!tching. I wasn't complaining, just giving my opinion. I did not say I couldn't find any, I said, "I can't easily find fresh whole fish that I like to eat."

I love a lot of things about being in the US but nothing's better on the dinner plate than tasty tropical fish.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Calypso, "The Lobster" looks like a really nice place.

It looks good but may be crowded. It's also one of those places where you have to dress up better than normal and be prepared to spend over $150 for dinner for two so it's not as convenient as Newport Seafood which can become a weekend habit.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

It looks good but may be crowded. It's also one of those places where you have to dress up better than normal and be prepared to spend over $150 for dinner for two so it's not as convenient as Newport Seafood which can become a weekend habit.

Yeah, that's a bit high end. My wife and I usually go out for dinner every Sat. night and spend around $80 to $100 (including tip) depending on where we go. We save the $150 and up places for special occaisions like birthdays and anniversaries.

I've been to a few of the seafood places in Santa Monica. In general, they are very good. However nobody seems to be able to get a lobster roll right. It's either too fancied up or the mayo tastes weird or there's parsley in it or something.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I've been to a few of the seafood places in Santa Monica. In general, they are very good. However nobody seems to be able to get a lobster roll right. It's either too fancied up or the mayo tastes weird or there's parsley in it or something.

Lobster is near perfect on it's own, no need to be messin with it too much. A good lobster roll is lot's of tail and claw meat, just a little bit of mayo, celery and maybe some lemon.

Some places serve hot lobster rolls with drawn butter too.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

usually, the best , freshest fish is sold at a 'wet market' and yes, the fish are in a tank, still breathing. you point, the hawker pulls.

We did go to one of those too. We ended up getting some shrimp and what my wife calls "pee pee shrimp" They take it to some restaurant and they prepare it. They had fish and lobster but we're too cheap I guess.

Lobster is near perfect on it's own, no need to be messin with it too much. A good lobster roll is lot's of tail and claw meat, just a little bit of mayo, celery and maybe some lemon.

You should have seen the exclamation of joy on my wife's face when we split our first lobster and I told her she could have everything in the torso. She said they fight over that in her family. I'm perfectly fine with tail and claw meat.

We did go to one of those too. We ended up getting some shrimp and what my wife calls "pee pee shrimp" They take it to some restaurant and they prepare it. They had fish and lobster but we're too cheap I guess.

You should have seen the exclamation of joy on my wife's face when we split our first lobster and I told her she could have everything in the torso. She said they fight over that in her family. I'm perfectly fine with tail and claw meat.

I'm a tail and claw guy too. The tomalley is ok, but I don't go crazy trying to get it. I do like chewing on the legs and pinching the meat out with my teeth.

This is starting to sound weird.laughing.gif

Edited by Teddy B

WORD. Actually, the hot lobster roll with lots of yumyumyum drawn butter is a shoreline CT specialty. I like both ways. :)

If you ever find yourself in my former neck of the woods, it's worth a trip to visit Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale on Long Wharf or Bills Seafood in Westbrook. I took the BF to Lenny & Joe's on our last visit -- it was his first time eating clam strips and that New England specialty beloved by lunch ladies all over the Northeast, scrod. I never see scrod out here. :(

Oh man, I miss home now. cray5ol.gif

WORD. Actually, the hot lobster roll with lots of yumyumyum drawn butter is a shoreline CT specialty. I like both ways. smile.png

If you ever find yourself in my former neck of the woods, it's worth a trip to visit Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale on Long Wharf or Bills Seafood in Westbrook. I took the BF to Lenny & Joe's on our last visit -- it was his first time eating clam strips and that New England specialty beloved by lunch ladies all over the Northeast, scrod. I never see scrod out here. sad.png

Oh man, I miss home now. cray5ol.gif

Thanks for the links Maven. I've saved them to my favorites for places to go. We like to take day long drives up and down the coast, CT is definitely within range. I especially like the outdoor atmosphere of Bills in Westbrook.

laughing.gif @ scrod! It's only $6.95 and comes with a salad and fries!

I noticed you said "clam strips", do you not eat the whole clam, belly and all?

Edited by Teddy B

Thanks for the links Maven. I've saved them to my favorites for places to go. We like to take day long drives up and down the coast, CT is definitely within range. I especially like the outdoor atmosphere of Bills in Westbrook.

laughing.gif @ scrod! It's only $6.95 and comes with a salad and fries!

I noticed you said "clam strips", do you not eat the whole clam, belly and all?

I eat bellies too, but I favour the cheapass strip. That's just the tightwad New Englander in me (also see my love of scrod!).

If you like outdoor atmosphere, you have to try The Place in Guilford. I've been going there since I was a little kid. You bring your own sides and drinks (BYOB booze is fine too!) and you literally "sit your rump on a stump" and eat picnic style, except they're bringing you roasted seafood and corn on the cob. At nighttime, it's absolutely magical.

I eat bellies too, but I favour the cheapass strip. That's just the tightwad New Englander in me (also see my love of scrod!).

If you like outdoor atmosphere, you have to try The Place in Guilford. I've been going there since I was a little kid. You bring your own sides and drinks (BYOB booze is fine too!) and you literally "sit your rump on a stump" and eat picnic style, except they're bringing you roasted seafood and corn on the cob. At nighttime, it's absolutely magical.

Nice Maven, thank you!