GandD

Our very own P&R off topic thread (merged)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They have more things than just a class. Just saying. wink.png I've a set of cousins that are alumni, also. Tears my Dad, as he's a UK fan. I mean, a BIG UK fan.

However, if you clicked the link, I've just disproved yer posit there ain't no Chinese in yer slope of the holler. Not click the link? Click again, la.

I'm a big UK basketball fan too. Go Cats! WKU even has a interesting football season coming up.

I did click on all three tongue.png

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating a little about no Chinese. We did find a Chinese church service here but she didn't want to go to it. Maybe I should ask again. But the link you provided looks pretty promising. Hopefully we'll find some interesting people in that community! I'll let you know if'n tongue_ss.gif we find success.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I swear, I can find Chinese folk anywhere, when I make time to look. My fav find was a manager at an American Chinese Food place - we got to talking, and the next thing I know he's my primary salesman for my chinese herb operation, selling to all the chinese medicine practitioners in the DFW area. That was a nice turn of $$..

re: The Confucian Institute at WKU - It's quite possible she may not find folk of her exact ilk (expatriated Honkees who migrated to Canada) but is quite possible she'll find some cantonese speakers/readers. I say show up at the office, talk with the staff about what's what, she's sure to find some new friends and connections over time.

Who knows? She might find the 'shopping trips' auntie, the lady in charge of the weekend shopping trips into the bigger cities with the better asian markets. I swear, that logistical planner can be found, if'n she looks hard enough.

Also, there's a DragonBoat Festival coming up in Owensboro on 24 Aug. You might want to think of sponsering a boat. That'll get YOU in with the chinese community, rather quickly.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I swear, I can find Chinese folk anywhere, when I make time to look. My fav find was a manager at an American Chinese Food place - we got to talking, and the next thing I know he's my primary salesman for my chinese herb operation, selling to all the chinese medicine practitioners in the DFW area. That was a nice turn of $$..

re: The Confucian Institute at WKU - It's quite possible she may not find folk of her exact ilk (expatriated Honkees who migrated to Canada) but is quite possible she'll find some cantonese speakers/readers. I say show up at the office, talk with the staff about what's what, she's sure to find some new friends and connections over time.

Who knows? She might find the 'shopping trips' auntie, the lady in charge of the weekend shopping trips into the bigger cities with the better asian markets. I swear, that logistical planner can be found, if'n she looks hard enough.

Well, for her part, she's learning more Mandarin. She only watches Mandarin TV shows now so that's helped a bit. I've actually done a fair bit of research on markets. Around here is mostly Southeast Asian stuff. Nashville is just down the road and has some stuff but doesn't really have anything like what she prefers. There is on small Korean market that offers the bulgogi meat and rice cakes she fancies. Cinci had all of her favorite brands for drinks, dumplings, etc but that place was a true asian market instead of an "international market." Atlanta is the next closest place with a large Chinese community. Its like 4 hours away but is on the list to visit on some weekend excursion. Maybe when I'm down there I'll seek out the Nature boy and pee on his tree.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If you really meet up with Nature Boy (pbuh) you should coat him with rice wine and torch off his body hair.

Just saying ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I wasted an hour of my life watching Sister Wives on TLC last night.

Now, I am all for a man having more than one wife if that's the way he wants to live his life and the women involved feel that lifestyle is for them as well.

But that has to be the most miserable family I've ever effing seen.

Heavens. Are they confusing you with an OFW? That sucks, if so. Sucks a lot.

I don't think lack of money is their real problem. It's just that they are incapable of being financially responsible, they do nothing to improve their situation, and then they expect someone else to save them. I feel like I'm done bailing them out.

Before I quit working last year, my husband and I sent one sister to college in the PH. She blew her chances and we stopped helping. So we sent the next sister to high school. Just like the first one, we asked her to sign an agreement that we'd continue supporting her studies if her grades make the cut. She made no efforts to up her grades but went to school to be cute, learn the duck face selfie, and socialize. We stopped sending money and all I heard from my parents was, "If you really want to help us, you should help us unconditionally."

I completely stopped giving any help. My parents are now sending both sisters to school and by default Filipino mentality, it's difficult. My mom then tells me that only my brother helps financially and doesn't ignore the needs of the family. That makes me the ingrata daughter who's enjoying a great life in the US. Okay, I'm done whining. dead.gif

Drama is so Filipino.

Right. All the years spent studying, working, and raising kids don't make them any wiser or self-reliant, only jaded.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Now, I am all for a man having more than one wife if that's the way he wants to live his life and the women involved feel that lifestyle is for them as well.

Feel free to waste a few more minutes reading this http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/447350-the-other-wife-and-my-interview/

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

I'm going to tell him to just be up front about it at the interview and tell them he is married to two women. The consulate will understand. devil.gif

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I binge watched the first two seasons one weekend a year or so back. WHAT do the women see in that man? It's not even about sharing a man, which I think is fine as long as everyone is on board. But THAT man? Yeesh.

On an unrelated note, is bonding with people from your home country a big thing that most people do once they're abroad? When I did the big move many moons ago, I knew zero Americans and never had any desire to interact with them socially. It took me 10 years to make an American friend over there.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I'm going to tell him to just be up front about it at the interview and tell them he is married to two women. The consulate will understand. devil.gif

You can tell him that. He seems willing to believe what anybody says. With the number of your big hearts, I'm sure he'd disregard what other posters have already advised him. devil.gif

On an unrelated note, is bonding with people from your home country a big thing that most people do once they're abroad? When I did the big move many moons ago, I knew zero Americans and never had any desire to interact with them socially. It took me 10 years to make an American friend over there.

Not for me. I don't have good Pinay friends nearby and I'm not looking for any. I sometimes communicate with old friends on the phone and online, only the ones who I truly like and can speak my mother tongue, Cebuano-Visayan, which I miss using. Some Pinays that I've met here put attention on things I don't care about: lipstick, avoiding tan lines and looking at me strangely when I go directly under the sun without sunscreen, keeping a job they detest, talking about what they like "back home in the PH" and why it's better there.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Timeline

I binge watched the first two seasons one weekend a year or so back. WHAT do the women see in that man? It's not even about sharing a man, which I think is fine as long as everyone is on board. But THAT man? Yeesh.

That's pretty much what Darnell and I were talking about. I think its more important to find people that share your beliefs and values than skin color. But I can understand not wanting to be the token (insert race here) in any group. People just want to belong and not feel like an outcast. Of course some "own" their differences/weaknesses. This is the best option IMO. You know, laugh at yourself.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I'm a big proponent of integration. When you move to a new country, the best way to ease the adjustment process is to make friends where you are. In my case, the friends were way more important than the in-laws out-laws.

Staying isolated in a new country is a good way to get homesick in a hurry. :(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You can tell him that. He seems willing to believe what anybody says. With the number of your big hearts, I'm sure he'd disregard what other posters have already advised him.

His is the classic case of the blind leading the deaf, man.

Male, golden retriever.

Name him "Silence."

Why, huh man?

Silence, like the retriever, is golden, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I have no idea. He's childish and lazy. This is the stupidest family I've ever seen. 5 adults, 20 kids ... and none of the adults work. And yet they are still building FOUR SEPARATE HOMES for each of the wives, totaling in at over $450k each. And they have kids going off to college. It's madness.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the one wife works and one or two of the others work at least part time.. but still I have no idea how they can afford their lifestyle..

what I find weird is that the guy drives a little bitty sports car.. huh.png

mvSuprise-hug.gif