wjr

This may be a really idiotic question

18 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was just reading over some post to past some time and gather more information. An I read someones post from March? 22nd, and they said that they had the AOS interview and just had to wait for the FBI check. My question is...... I thought that they did background check and all that through USCIS and the FBI when you first filed a K1. So why are they doing it again after you AOS?????? I am still waiting for my NOA2 for petition, but as I said just curious as to why they would be checking the person's country for any criminal activity when they have already done this just before their interview with the Embassy in the person's country????

City: Texas Hill Country Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The check generally done for K-1 isn't nearly as stringent as the one done for AOS, but yes, the processes are largely redundant.

Conditions Removed! Ten-year green card received 6/24/2009. No more USCIS for a very long time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh my God that is such a stupid question... just kidding. That's not a stupid question at all! I can't really answer it for the most part but I know that for some reason some people have to wait forever for security checks with AOS.

Good luck to you!

Sarah

Oh my God that is such a stupid question... just kidding. That's not a stupid question at all! I can't really answer it for the most part but I know that for some reason some people have to wait forever for security checks with AOS.

Good luck to you!

Sarah

Well thank you for making me feel better in letting me know the question was not as stupid as I thought it was. I thought maybe I was missing something. Maybe you can answer this, What more could they possibly check once he has been living out here for over a year??????? Why would they even check his home country "AGAIN"?????? If he got checked before he got here. I'm sorry, I know you are not them, but I just don't understand how they can check a person "again" from their home country, when they have not lived there for over a year, would it not be safe to say the person's status would "NOT" change seeing he has not been there?? I mean that seems like a waste of time not only for them BIG DUHHHH, but for us to. I can see if they have them checked here just to make sure they have not done anything criminal since they been here, but really, their home country. This is ridiculous!! Sorry, I am getting more and more aggravated, the more I hear I have to go through. Does it ever end?? Thanks again Sarah, really appreciate yours and everyones responses. WJR

P.S. Do they even check here???? And is this not suppose to be completed before the AOS interview?? Ok I think I am done venting, thanks again.

I'm wondering who exactly they check with. I imagine in all the FBI data bases, but who else. It seems very mysterious.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What I find confusing is that supposidly the AOS FBI name check is a more detailed check than any other point in the process to date ... But you would think they would do the real detailed check before they let us come to the country ... If we were "bad" people wouldn't they want to find this out before we were actually in the US ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

These process are not tied into one another. They are there own seperate process. Remember the K! doesnt necessarily grant you permission to enter into the United States. The Custom in the US are the only ones that can grant you permission to enter the border. Once here it is the Gov't position to make sure you are truly safe to be here.

There are some people that do get deported because of background checks as a result of the AOS process. The Government is suppose to protect us from harm and they have seen how they have made some mistakes.

The Government is not different than any other company. They all do stupid things that we just dont understand or get sometime and then other times they do a wonderful job.

Just my thoughts for today.

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

i think, too...we must remember that we who have filed family-based petitions make up only a very small minority of immigration cases. it's easy to lose perspective, since there are so many people on VJ going through the same processes as we are.

the security checks done for a k1 are basically just a check to see if you have a police record or are known to be dangerous/criminal/whatever. the AOS FBI name checks are much more involved.

National Name Check Program Process Step-by-Step:

* Agency/entity submission to the FBI’s NNCP. Submissions are accepted via magnetic tape, hard copy, telephone, or fax.

* Electronic “batch” submissions are searched against the UNI. The majority of the batch names are electronically returned as “no record” with 48-72 hours. A “no record” indicates that the UNI database contains no identifiable information regarding a particular individual. The UNI is searched for “main files”, files where the name of an individual is the subject of an FBI investigation, and for “reference files”, files where the name being searched is just mentioned in an investigation.

* A secondary “manual” search of residuals from the batch run identifies an additional number of names as a “no record” response.

* The remaining paper files and/or electronic files are reviewed to ensure they are germane to the name check request.

* Identifiable files are then analyzed for relevant or derogatory information that may be disseminated to the requesting agency/entity. Approximately 1 percent of the requests are determined to contain possible derogatory information. If applicable, the NNCP forwards a summary of the information to the submitting agency/entity.

Source from www.fbi.com

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

there are also security checks again when u go to get citizenship. some people get caught at that point.

Caught with what?????? If you been checked 60 million times what could they possibly catch you with at the end????

What I find confusing is that supposidly the AOS FBI name check is a more detailed check than any other point in the process to date ... But you would think they would do the real detailed check before they let us come to the country ... If we were "bad" people wouldn't they want to find this out before we were actually in the US ...

That's what I say, it would be more logical to do that then to wait till someone is already here. If you ask me they are a little ### backwards. WJR

i think, too...we must remember that we who have filed family-based petitions make up only a very small minority of immigration cases. it's easy to lose perspective, since there are so many people on VJ going through the same processes as we are.

the security checks done for a k1 are basically just a check to see if you have a police record or are known to be dangerous/criminal/whatever. the AOS FBI name checks are much more involved.

National Name Check Program Process Step-by-Step:

* Agency/entity submission to the FBI’s NNCP. Submissions are accepted via magnetic tape, hard copy, telephone, or fax.

* Electronic “batch” submissions are searched against the UNI. The majority of the batch names are electronically returned as “no record” with 48-72 hours. A “no record” indicates that the UNI database contains no identifiable information regarding a particular individual. The UNI is searched for “main files”, files where the name of an individual is the subject of an FBI investigation, and for “reference files”, files where the name being searched is just mentioned in an investigation.

* A secondary “manual” search of residuals from the batch run identifies an additional number of names as a “no record” response.

* The remaining paper files and/or electronic files are reviewed to ensure they are germane to the name check request.

* Identifiable files are then analyzed for relevant or derogatory information that may be disseminated to the requesting agency/entity. Approximately 1 percent of the requests are determined to contain possible derogatory information. If applicable, the NNCP forwards a summary of the information to the submitting agency/entity.

Source from www.fbi.com

What more could they look for, if they dig to see if you have a dangerous or criminal background and find out they don't, then what more is there to look for. Maybe I am missing something here, but I am really confussed as to what more they could be looking for. When you think your clear of the stress being able to calm down from all the BS, here we go again, more waiting, more stress, more wondering of when this is going to end. WJR

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
What more could they look for, if they dig to see if you have a dangerous or criminal background and find out they don't, then what more is there to look for. Maybe I am missing something here, but I am really confussed as to what more they could be looking for. When you think your clear of the stress being able to calm down from all the BS, here we go again, more waiting, more stress, more wondering of when this is going to end. WJR

Well it will only stop once you get your green card ... Then it will start again in 2 years (minus 90 days) when you apply to remove conditions ... Then it will start again if you decided to apply for citizenship in 3 years after that ... Basically it we have to just accept the fact that it will never stop :)

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

even the advanced security checks at the K1 stage are different than the AOS stage - otherwise our K1 security clearance could be applied for AOS. Checks at DOS do not translate to the DOJ - therefore although redundant - they are different checks.

what I mean by advanced security checks is having full 10 finger biometrics done at he consulate and having the various clearances applied to your case (Condor, Mantis, SAO, etc.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I can see if they have them checked here just to make sure they have not done anything criminal since they been here, but really, their home country. This is ridiculous!! Sorry, I am getting more and more aggravated, the more I hear I have to go through. Does it ever end?? Thanks again Sarah, really appreciate yours and everyones responses. WJR

P.S. Do they even check here???? And is this not suppose to be completed before the AOS interview?? Ok I think I am done venting, thanks again.

You are just a little frustrated - imagine those that are stuck in name checks for months and years (yes there are a few waiting past one year.) Basically your criminal activity can catch up with you at a latter stage and that's one of the reasons to keep checking at every stage - there was a case of a girl who got here on K1, got married and applied for AOS - her bank embezzlement case caught up with her at that point (it takes a while to get to interpol and then to FBI I guess.) Also you may have nothing in the past, come here and rob/defraud someone/ or do criminal activity - your old past may be clean but your recent past may not - they will keep checking you at every point and should. That said - don't worry about it as most people sail through these checks without any problems. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

there was a case of a girl who got here on K1, got married and applied for AOS - her bank embezzlement case caught up with her at that point (it takes a while to get to interpol and then to FBI I guess.)

:lol: i believe that story was de-bunked by the story-teller :lol:

Well if you think about it, it's logical for them to keep checking you as you move through the process. If you commit a crime between the stages of the various processes, it'll show up.

So be good :)

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.