mattmari

RFE - I129F Request for primary evidence of meeting in person

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I just recieved an RFE, because they want primary evidence of us meeting in person. We originally sent 5 photos, many many emails and facebook messages, and they are saying they want primary evidence...He is from Michigan and I'm from Ottawa, Ontario. We travel by car only so perhaps we should send credit card bank statement and receipts of our gas bills? We dont have passport stamps, no hotel receipts (as we always stay in each other's family home when we visit), and no plane, train or bus tickets.They said they don't need more photos or telephone bills, as they don't want more proof of an on-going relationship but rather they want evidence of us meeting. Please make suggestions of what else we can include as primary evidence

Use any receipts or bank statements that show the USC making purchases in Canada or the Canadian making purchases in the US. Write a letter explaining you drive to see each other.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

My fiance and I just recieved an RFE, because they want primary evidence of us meeting in person. We originally sent 5 photos, many many emails and facebook messages, and they are saying they want primary evidence...He is from Michigan and I'm from Ottawa, Ontario. We travel by car only so perhaps we should send credit card bank statement and receipts of our gas bills? We dont have passport stamps, no hotel receipts (as we always stay in each other's family home when we visit), and no plane, train or bus tickets.They said they don't need more photos or telephone bills, as they don't want more proof of an on-going relationship but rather they want evidence of us meeting. Please make suggestions of what else we can include as primary evidence

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but you could have friends and family that have met you both write affidavit letters attesting to have met you both, together (when, where & how) and to the nature of your relationship. These letters should be formal in nature.

It's interesting that they want evidence of you *meeting* and yet I assume you submitted photographs with both of you in them, together. You know, like... meeting. Silly folks.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Affidavits from friends and family as witness to the relationship may help .

Make sure they do not mean meeting within past 2years, which is the requisite, and in that case you need to have something dated.

In the case of statements/affidavits, ensure the dates they attest to know you have been together are listed.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but you could have friends and family that have met you both write affidavit letters attesting to have met you both, together (when, where & how) and to the nature of your relationship. These letters should be formal in nature.

It's interesting that they want evidence of you *meeting* and yet I assume you submitted photographs with both of you in them, together. You know, like... meeting. Silly folks.

The requirement is to have met in the last two years, not just to have "met." I think with the internet, people don't realize that people might have met 6 years ago, or be childhood friends, or have had some other "meeting" that was not in the last two years.

The photos show that they met. They don't show when that was.

Affidavits will help round out the package, but generally aren't taken for that sort of proof by themselves.

Receipts or bank statements showing activity in the opposite country will do the trick.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Make a point at stopping at border crossing that has immigration officer, and get them to stamp your visa. Credit card statements with purchases in his home town. These may help.

Filed: Timeline

I had the same RFE, but I was fortunate to have passport stamps, which I submitted along with plane ticket receipts. These pieces of evidence helped me gain an approval.

Here's the exact wording on my RFE that may or may not be the same with yours:

• Last Personal Meeting - The petitioner and the beneficiary must meet in person between October 31, 2010 and November 01, 2012. Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petition. Primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year); copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the last two years. Secondary evidence may include film-dated photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitute evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

I agree with the other person saying to write a letter explaining that you drive across the border instead of flying, therefore you don't have passport stamps. When submitting evidence for your RFE, highlight all the names and dates. Focus on submitting evidence that shows you were at the beneficiary's home country, with the emphasis on dates, which credit card bank statements and receipts of your gas bills sound fine if they show that you made those transactions in the beneficiary's home country and within the 2 year period USCIS is asking for. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We got a rfe online yesterday so no hard copy.I'm really thinking that our rfe is going to be the same as we sent pictures but they where just print outs from Facebook.the only evidence that I guess is

Dated officially is our flight details to Spain

I had the same RFE, but I was fortunate to have passport stamps, which I submitted along with plane ticket receipts. These pieces of evidence helped me gain an approval.

Here's the exact wording on my RFE that may or may not be the same with yours:

• Last Personal Meeting - The petitioner and the beneficiary must meet in person between October 31, 2010 and November 01, 2012. Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petition. Primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year); copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the last two years. Secondary evidence may include film-dated photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitute evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

I agree with the other person saying to write a letter explaining that you drive across the border instead of flying, therefore you don't have passport stamps. When submitting evidence for your RFE, highlight all the names and dates. Focus on submitting evidence that shows you were at the beneficiary's home country, with the emphasis on dates, which credit card bank statements and receipts of your gas bills sound fine if they show that you made those transactions in the beneficiary's home country and within the 2 year period USCIS is asking for. Good luck!

Filed: Timeline

We got a rfe online yesterday so no hard copy.I'm really thinking that our rfe is going to be the same as we sent pictures but they where just print outs from Facebook.the only evidence that I guess is

Dated officially is our flight details to Spain

No one knows what your RFE is going to ask for until the hard copy comes in.

But just for my RFE only, it seemed like they needed passport stamps because I didn't submit passport stamps with my I-129F application. Good luck!

You must provide dated, third-party evidence that you met in person in the two years prior to filing the petition (really this boils down to being in the same country at the same time). Photos are not proof of meeting because there is no reliable date on them (even the old cameras that dates the film could be incorrect). This requirement is separate from proof of an ongoing relationship, but people often conflate the two.

It's my impression that with so much meeting on the internet, people think the requirement was designed for that, but it wasn't. It was designed to prevent mail order brides and also to prevent people filing for childhood family friends they haven't seen in decades. So the requirement is not just showing you met (with photos together or something) it's showing you met in the last two years.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I made sure that some of the pictures I took with my fiance had a timestamp on them, if you get a chance go up this weekend or next and take some pictures with a time stamp. If that's not feasible, dated receipts like many people said may help, any documents you got when crossing the boarder, any EZPass logs of you crossing the border.

Good Luck!

2013-03-29: Paid for a service through RapidVisa & began to prepare paperwork.
2013-04-11: Sent all the necessary documents to RapidVisa for review.
2013-04-12: Signed my application in red ink, so I had to overnight RapidVisa my application signed in BLUE ink.
2013-04-15: RapidVisa reviewed my application, found no fault and sent the I-129F Application to the Texas Lockbox.
2013-04-17: Electronic notification that the application was forwarded to the VT Service center.
2013-04-19: NOA-1 Received (snail mail) with the wrong country of birth for the foreign Partner. Notice date was 2013-04-15.

2013-04-19: Electronic Notification Received that an Alien Registration Number (ARN) was assigned to Foreign Partner.
2013-04-22: Called USCIS and corrected the typographical error on the NOA1.
2013-04-30: Received notification that the typographical error on the NOA1 has been corrected in the electronic system, but the error was minor and will not affect my application, as it is still valid.

... Waiting ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I made sure that some of the pictures I took with my fiance had a timestamp on them, if you get a chance go up this weekend or next and take some pictures with a time stamp. If that's not feasible, dated receipts like many people said may help, any documents you got when crossing the boarder, any EZPass logs of you crossing the border.

Good Luck!

Just the same as getting a stamp now will not work, neither will taking photos now. The evidence must come from the 2 years prior to filing. Photos are only secondary evidence anyway.

Harpa Timsah provided the correct information to help the OP.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Nevermind then, I just give up and I'll stop posting.

2013-03-29: Paid for a service through RapidVisa & began to prepare paperwork.
2013-04-11: Sent all the necessary documents to RapidVisa for review.
2013-04-12: Signed my application in red ink, so I had to overnight RapidVisa my application signed in BLUE ink.
2013-04-15: RapidVisa reviewed my application, found no fault and sent the I-129F Application to the Texas Lockbox.
2013-04-17: Electronic notification that the application was forwarded to the VT Service center.
2013-04-19: NOA-1 Received (snail mail) with the wrong country of birth for the foreign Partner. Notice date was 2013-04-15.

2013-04-19: Electronic Notification Received that an Alien Registration Number (ARN) was assigned to Foreign Partner.
2013-04-22: Called USCIS and corrected the typographical error on the NOA1.
2013-04-30: Received notification that the typographical error on the NOA1 has been corrected in the electronic system, but the error was minor and will not affect my application, as it is still valid.

... Waiting ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.