mpheonix

My Visa Journey Help Guide

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

He is saying that while there might not be any instruction that it is mandatory that the USC petitioner attend, at some consulates it most certainly is anyway. The CO will not care how much it cost you to make the trip there. My husband was almost denied because I was not in Juarez with him. We got lucky that the CO went ahead and approved him anyway.

This is what VJ is for, to learn from others that have been through the actual process and can tell you what it is really like and what is really required. Researching is good, but blindly following only hearsay and vague USCIS/DoS directions may not get you the approval you are seeking.

After the I-129F is approved, all the consulates have different procedures and requirements. Learning what the requirements for your consulate are and listening to the personal experiences of those that went through that same consulate successfully before you is much better than following only a generalized, not quite correct guide compilation.

Well damn. That is rather disheartening. Is there anyway to check that's faster than contacting all the consulates? Maybe I can compile a list of consulates/embassies that "unofficially require" the US Citizen to go to the beneficiary's interview. That would save a LOT of people some grief.

2013-03-29: Paid for a service through RapidVisa & began to prepare paperwork.
2013-04-11: Sent all the necessary documents to RapidVisa for review.
2013-04-12: Signed my application in red ink, so I had to overnight RapidVisa my application signed in BLUE ink.
2013-04-15: RapidVisa reviewed my application, found no fault and sent the I-129F Application to the Texas Lockbox.
2013-04-17: Electronic notification that the application was forwarded to the VT Service center.
2013-04-19: NOA-1 Received (snail mail) with the wrong country of birth for the foreign Partner. Notice date was 2013-04-15.

2013-04-19: Electronic Notification Received that an Alien Registration Number (ARN) was assigned to Foreign Partner.
2013-04-22: Called USCIS and corrected the typographical error on the NOA1.
2013-04-30: Received notification that the typographical error on the NOA1 has been corrected in the electronic system, but the error was minor and will not affect my application, as it is still valid.

... Waiting ...

Timeline

Black ink will not be an issue. Some have signed with blue ink to make it known it was an original and not a copy. However, with so many people owning color scanner/printers now, signing in blue would not prove the signature was original. The best tip I read about years ago was to sign with your paper on top of a magazine. The softer service area would leave more of an indent in the paper where you sign.

Thank you, that's a really useful tip! I'll add that to the guide!

I did read in a couple instances they requested original signatures sent when it was filled out and signed in black ink, I'm going to do another search because I recall someone stating that they did this with black ink and it still got kicked back (I might be mixing the info up in my brain though). Mine was filled out using a computer (RapidVisa uses an online form that asks you questions and you fill out, and it generates a PDF, it's much easier to understand). It was recommended to sign in blue ink. They said black ink was fine as well, but occasionally gets kicked back because the person processing the application thinks it's not the original signature.

Edited by mpheonix

2013-04-12: Signed my application in red ink, so I had to overnight RapidVisa my application signed in BLUE ink.
2013-04-15: RapidVisa reviewed my application, found no fault and sent the I-129F Application to the Texas Lockbox.
2013-04-17: Electronic notification that the application was forwarded to the VT Service center.
2013-04-19: NOA-1 Received (snail mail) with the wrong country of birth for the foreign Partner. Notice date was 2013-04-15.

2013-04-19: Electronic Notification Received that an Alien Registration Number (ARN) was assigned to Foreign Partner.
2013-04-30: Received notification that the typographical error on the NOA1 has been corrected in the electronic system, but the error was minor and will not affect my application, as it is still valid.

... Waiting ...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Is there anyway to check that's faster than contacting all the consulates? Maybe I can compile a list of consulates/embassies that "unofficially require" the US Citizen to go to the beneficiary's interview. That would save a LOT of people some grief.

advanced search tool.

repeat for emphasis - advanced search tool

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I will give that a shot, thank you. It might be more accurate. Those poor people, man. I would be crushed.

... Waiting ...

Timeline

unsure if you've seen this yet -> http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Argentina&cty=Buenos%20Aires

but there is a page here at VJ for each consulate. instead of calling , using a telephone, you might want to read each consulate page, glean the differences between each consulate .

many people get here -> http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Argentina&cty=Buenos%20Aires by clicking on their flag - that's a straight jump to their country's portal page and the click-through, that link, is there.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

unsure if you've seen this yet -> http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Argentina&cty=Buenos%20Aires

but there is a page here at VJ for each consulate. instead of calling , using a telephone, you might want to read each consulate page, glean the differences between each consulate .

many people get here -> http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Argentina&cty=Buenos%20Aires by clicking on their flag - that's a straight jump to their country's portal page and the click-through, that link, is there.

Thank you! I'll check that out for my fiance's country.

I want to actually compile a list of the countries that require it though, to add it to my little help guide. If I can help one person avoid frustration or even worse, denial because of something in my guide I'll be happy.

... Waiting ...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

To the contrary, respectfully: Sometimes even the best-meaning new members don't know what they don't know. Too many of them piling on to each other in agreement can be proverbially like "the blind leading the deaf." For this reason, it's good when knowledgeable experienced members pop in.

In regard to the specific comment by the specific member, which drew your "trolls and jerks" dismissal, the specific member is generally very highly respected around VJ because of her accurate immigration advice. She's a continuing student of the process.

Among the excellent circumspection in post #22 above by Jay-Kay is her especially pertinent second paragraph:

Honestly to get where you are you had to start somewhere too.

The couple terrible replies that queued me to say what I did have since dissapeared and I am sure the 15 star member that posted them have since dissapeared.

This person put it together because he felt like he needed to do something and possibly help. One reason people are not staying here after the fact is because when they say or do something positive they get shot down.

When you look at a WIKI do you just take anything it says as true? Its all user added so theres errors and I could say a rocket went to the moon. Just like that this is a user edited forum and data changes and so does fees and whats requried. I say he should keep it up and in the future maybe he will be like you helping and pointing things out.

When I did my K1 Visa I did alot of research and I used this page and the USCIS page + 500 other places to make sure I had the right things put in.

Josh

P.s. Your posts and alot of the other members posts have been great. I just think maybe people should respect others a little more in this day and age.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well damn. That is rather disheartening. Is there anyway to check that's faster than contacting all the consulates? Maybe I can compile a list of consulates/embassies that "unofficially require" the US Citizen to go to the beneficiary's interview. That would save a LOT of people some grief.

It would be hard to make a list like that. For instance, not everyone that goes through Juarez is even asked if the USC petitioner is there. Many are approved just fine when going alone. Yet, some are asked, even though the petitioner is not even allowed to go in with the foreign fiance(e). I always suggest to those going through Juarez that while it is not mandatory to be in Juarez too, if you are able, then do so. I think with most things at all consulates, it depends on the CO you get. Ecuador has been known to insist the petitioner be present, as was the case for TBone. Some have been approved there without the petitioner present as well. Not only with this issue, but with most things having to do with the K-1 interview, nothing is set in stone across the board.

I have said quite a few times that it would make things so much easier if there were consistent rules, processes and requirements for ALL K-1 applicants, no matter which consulate they interview at.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

It would be hard to make a list like that. For instance, not everyone that goes through Juarez is even asked if the USC petitioner is there. Many are approved just fine when going alone. Yet, some are asked, even though the petitioner is not even allowed to go in with the foreign fiance(e). I always suggest to those going through Juarez that while it is not mandatory to be in Juarez too, if you are able, then do so. I think with most things at all consulates, it depends on the CO you get. Ecuador has been known to insist the petitioner be present, as was the case for TBone. Some have been approved there without the petitioner present as well. Not only with this issue, but with most things having to do with the K-1 interview, nothing is set in stone across the board.

I have said quite a few times that it would make things so much easier if there were consistent rules, processes and requirements for ALL K-1 applicants, no matter which consulate they interview at.

Yes, yes it would be easier. I love government processes... this is JUST like the military... follow our protocol, but we'll change it when it suits us, and not tell you so you have to scramble like ants to get your sh!t in order. .__.

I'll still try and get a list of the ones that will often require the petitioner to be present for the interview, so the user can at least prepare to show up even if it's not needed. As far as I can tell the Buenos Aires embassy does not... but I'll do some personal digging on that one and see if anyone has been "required" to be present for my own peace of mind.

... Waiting ...

Timeline

I want to actually compile a list of the countries that require it though, to add it to my little help guide. If I can help one person avoid frustration or even worse, denial because of something in my guide I'll be happy.

there is a page here at VJ for each consulate. instead of calling , using a telephone, you might want to read each consulate page, glean the differences between each consulate .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

there is a page here at VJ for each consulate. instead of calling , using a telephone, you might want to read each consulate page, glean the differences between each consulate .

Looks like the OP closed her VJ account. Nertz, man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I wish this was available when I started going through the process, it is much more user friendly having it all in one long narrative with all the relevant infin in one spot. There are plenty of negative people on here. You will get good advice and you will get bad advice. But it is great you have spent the time to do this, it is very helpful.

I said 'at the moment', do you realize how many countries I'd have to go through and check?

I also do believe I stated this:

Also this is a work in progress of course, so I posted it for feedback, corrections, additions. I plan on making a site of this. I had a hell of time trying to get the answers I was looking for in a clear, concise, and straight forward manner. I'm trying to provide people with a more "user friendly" guide. It's by no means complete. tongue.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.