mpheonix

My Visa Journey Help Guide

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Good post! smile.png I never read about signing in blue ink??? We used black ink! Hopefully it won't be an issue :S

Thank you! I heard conflicting things about it, they don't usually send an RFE because it's signed in black ink... but I heard a few cases where they thought because the signature was in black ink that it wasn't an original document, so they asked that it get re-signed and sent in again. The instances where that happened, the people signed the paper in blue ink and it was accepted. They will not accept applications filled out or signed in red ink, however. They scan the documents and red ink does not show up on their digital scanner. From my understanding (I have family that works for the government and I'm retired military, myself), most government and state operations use red ink to mark up the original documentation, so they can distinguish the original from the scans. If you sign in red, they might think you didn't sign it at all! If you sign in black, depending on the mood of the person processing your application they may think that you sent a copy instead of the original!

I found this one out the hard way, and had to overnight the pages (signed in BLUE ink) to the paperwork processing service I used, before they would send my application to the USCIS. I'm glad I got the service, they helped me avoid quite a few mistakes.

Edited by mpheonix

2013-03-29: Paid for a service through RapidVisa & began to prepare paperwork.
2013-04-11: Sent all the necessary documents to RapidVisa for review.
2013-04-12: Signed my application in red ink, so I had to overnight RapidVisa my application signed in BLUE ink.
2013-04-15: RapidVisa reviewed my application, found no fault and sent the I-129F Application to the Texas Lockbox.
2013-04-17: Electronic notification that the application was forwarded to the VT Service center.
2013-04-19: NOA-1 Received (snail mail) with the wrong country of birth for the foreign Partner. Notice date was 2013-04-15.

2013-04-19: Electronic Notification Received that an Alien Registration Number (ARN) was assigned to Foreign Partner.
2013-04-22: Called USCIS and corrected the typographical error on the NOA1.
2013-04-30: Received notification that the typographical error on the NOA1 has been corrected in the electronic system, but the error was minor and will not affect my application, as it is still valid.

... Waiting ...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow some people are so rude:/ You obviously spent a good amount of time putting this post together and thank you! Its very helpful. I know visajourney already has a bunch of guides but this really breaks it down and answers a lot of questions that are posted again and again on the forums, and the interview questions! Now I have a better Idea of what to expect.

K1 VISA

01/15/2013-I-129f sent
01/17/2013-NOA1 date
02/01/2013-NOA1 hardcopy received
06/19/2013-NOA2 APPROVED!
07/11/2013-Case forwarded to DOS (took them long enough)
07/30/2013- Case received by Vancouver. Received packet 3 via email
08/16/2013-Received packet 4
09/09/2013-Medical
09/11/2013-Interview APPROVED!
09/23/2013-POE YVR airport
10/22/2013-Marriage

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

01/23/2014-Filed for Greencard
02/10/2014-NOA1 received
03/12/2014 RFE :(

03/18/2014-Biometrics
05/20/2014 Work permit received
July 2014 interview and approval! Received green card!

August 2014 found job!

and the journey continues....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You do know that VJ has plenty of guides, right? Why make your own guide when you are too "lazy" to make it right. Seems odd. Oh well, I am out.

Comments like this are disheartening. I love that someone is using their time and energy to try to compile information into one concise place, in the hopes it will make life easier for someone else. I remember when I first found VJ, and it was so... vast. This topic is inherently broad, with so many nuances. What the OP is trying to do here is give a simplified breakdown of the most common scenarios, and if I had seen something like this when I first started researching, it would have saved me from asking a lot of stupid questions and would have allowed me to search for information more effectively.

We are here to help each other, each in our own way. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Comments like this are disheartening. I love that someone is using their time and energy to try to compile information into one concise place, in the hopes it will make life easier for someone else. I remember when I first found VJ, and it was so... vast. This topic is inherently broad, with so many nuances. What the OP is trying to do here is give a simplified breakdown of the most common scenarios, and if I had seen something like this when I first started researching, it would have saved me from asking a lot of stupid questions and would have allowed me to search for information more effectively.

We are here to help each other, each in our own way. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

dancin5hr.gifgood.gifrolleyes.gif

K-1 Journey:

05/23/2013: I-129F packet mailed 05/29/2013: NOA1 (E-mail) 06/01/2013: NOA1 (Hardcopy) - - w/ typo error, my name's wrong 06/06/2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

08/07/2013: Case Transferred to my local USCIS office (E-mail)  08/12/2013: Case Received at Texas Service Center; Received NOA-T Hardcopy   09/05/2013: NOA2 (Email) - On our 9th Anniversary! Best Gift!

09/09/2013: NOA2 (Hardcopy) 09/10/2013: Case Shipped to DOS 09/19/2013: Case Shipped to Manila Embassy (Received MNL case number thru Phone 09/20/2013) 09/28/2013: NVC Letter Received (Petitioner)

10/24/2013: Fiance Medical Day 1 10/25/2013: Fiance Medical Day 2 (Passed) Yey! 11/09/2013: Approved I-129F Packet/Notification Letter from USEM Manila received by beneficiary

11/18/2013: Visa Interview - Approved! 11/21/2013: CEAC - "Issued" 11/26/2013: Visa picked up at 2GO MOA 12/02/2013: CFO done 12/27/2013: POE LAX

02/14/14: GOT MARRIED!

AOS Journey: EAD/AP Journey:

03/25/14: I-693 Vaccine Form Completed 04/15/14: AOS/EAD/AP packet mailed 04/21/14: NOA1 (Email) 04/25/14: NOA1 Hard Copy (Mail)

05/21/14: Biometrics done 06/26/14: Card Production 07/29/14: NPIWC letter received 07/02/14: Card Mailed w/ Tracking #

03/03/15: Inquiry sent (extended review) 07/07/14: EAD/AP Combo Card Received 04/03/15: 2nd inquiry 04/17/15: EAD/AP Renewal Request Sent

04/10/15: RFE for AOS received thru mail 04/20/15: EAD/AP NOA1 (Email) 06/20/15: Green Card approved 

ROC Journey:

06-12-17: I-751 Form/packet mailed  06-15-17: delivered to CSC 

06-19-17: Check was cashed  06-19-17: NOA1 received thru mail dated 06-15-17

07-18-17: Biometrics done

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I haven't gotten that far in my process yet, which is likely why I haven't added anything regarding it.

I'm not sure what you mean though, can you elaborate?

Do you mean that the US Citizen (aka petitioner) needs to be present during the visa interview in the beneficiary's country?

If so, all the information I heard says that while it can be really helpful, it's not necessary if the expense will be great (which for me, it would cost me a good 3k to go down there for the interview if you include flight, hotel, food, etc). And trust me... I would LOVE to see Gabriel again... I miss him like crazy it's been 6 months. sad.png

He is saying that while there might not be any instruction that it is mandatory that the USC petitioner attend, at some consulates it most certainly is anyway. The CO will not care how much it cost you to make the trip there. My husband was almost denied because I was not in Juarez with him. We got lucky that the CO went ahead and approved him anyway.

This is what VJ is for, to learn from others that have been through the actual process and can tell you what it is really like and what is really required. Researching is good, but blindly following only hearsay and vague USCIS/DoS directions may not get you the approval you are seeking.

After the I-129F is approved, all the consulates have different procedures and requirements. Learning what the requirements for your consulate are and listening to the personal experiences of those that went through that same consulate successfully before you is much better than following only a generalized, not quite correct guide compilation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I said 'at the moment', do you realize how many countries I'd have to go through and check?

I also do believe I stated this:

Also this is a work in progress of course, so I posted it for feedback, corrections, additions. I plan on making a site of this. I had a hell of time trying to get the answers I was looking for in a clear, concise, and straight forward manner. I'm trying to provide people with a more "user friendly" guide. It's by no means complete. tongue.png

AMEN!!!! and thank you

event.png

event.png

Additional information is available here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

You obviously put a lot of work into your compilation. A glaring omission is that the petitioner's presence on the consular premises (anything from in the interview itself, or hanging around outside) can be crucial to, if not mandatory for, a shot at the beneficiary's being granted the visa. Please consider adding the above.

He is saying that while there might not be any instruction that it is mandatory that the USC petitioner attend, at some consulates it most certainly is anyway. The CO will not care how much it cost you to make the trip there. My husband was almost denied because I was not in Juarez with him. We got lucky that the CO went ahead and approved him anyway.

Is the Manila Consulate one of these that it is best to be there with the fiance for the interview? I plan on doing that.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Good post! smile.png I never read about signing in blue ink??? We used black ink! Hopefully it won't be an issue :S

Black ink will not be an issue. Some have signed with blue ink to make it known it was an original and not a copy. However, with so many people owning color scanner/printers now, signing in blue would not prove the signature was original. The best tip I read about years ago was to sign with your paper on top of a magazine. The softer service area would leave more of an indent in the paper where you sign.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Is the Manila Consulate one of these that it is best to be there with the fiance for the interview? I plan on doing that.

Frankly? No. In comparison with most, the Manila embassy hands out visas like candy.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Frankly? No. In comparison with most, the Manila embassy hands out visas like candy.

Okay thanks. I still don't want to take my chances lol, and plan on being there if it would make a difference in an otherwise denial, but I was still curious anyways.

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

I think it can only help at any consulate. I believe the USC petitioner is even allowed in the interview with their fiance(e) in Manila. You would need to find out more certain details from others that have been through Manila before though.

I think it can only help at any consulate. I believe the USC petitioner is even allowed in the interview with their fiance(e) in Manila. You would need to find out more certain details from others that have been through Manila before though.

Thanks, I created a regional thread with that intention.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Dont let the old timers get you down. It seems even in the visajourney site, there are trolls and jerks just like everywhere else..

To the contrary, respectfully: Sometimes even the best-meaning new members don't know what they don't know. Too many of them piling on to each other in agreement can be proverbially like "the blind leading the deaf." For this reason, it's good when knowledgeable experienced members pop in.

In regard to the specific comment by the specific member, which drew your "trolls and jerks" dismissal, the specific member is generally very highly respected around VJ because of her accurate immigration advice. She's a continuing student of the process.

Among the excellent circumspection in post #22 above by Jay-Kay is her especially pertinent second paragraph:

This is what VJ is for, to learn from others that have been through the actual process and can tell you what it is really like and what is really required. Researching is good, but blindly following only hearsay and vague USCIS/DoS directions may not get you the approval you are seeking.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.