48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You have plenty of info, seems like you need to digest it and learn how things work.

pretty much... it's allot to take in all at once but im getting there we just panicked for a while there is all

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Seems like their are several issues, especially with the arrests and type of charges. Maybe a chat with an immigration attorney would benefit the both of you.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

My question to those who have arrived by air to the UK. I can't remember anything on the landing card but name, address, nationality, etc. I don't remember any questions about crime, or communicable disease, or drug trafficking like is asked on ESTA before you can visit the US without a visa. So how do they know if somebody has a crime? Where would one divulge that info? Not doubting because it makes sense, but when do they ask?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

ESTA asks, before that it was the I 94W

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

ESTA asks, before that it was the I 94W

Not US forms. I mean a USC like me arriving in the UK fills out a UK Border Agency landing form like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/39039882@N00/5311469322/##tantek

When do they ask if you have committed a crime? I can't remember being asked anything but what is the purpose of your trip? How long are you staying? And twice, Are you staying with friends?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

No idea, I would start with the Consulate web site to see if you are eligible to travel without a visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Not US forms. I mean a USC like me arriving in the UK fills out a UK Border Agency landing form like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/39039882@N00/5311469322/##tantek

When do they ask if you have committed a crime? I can't remember being asked anything but what is the purpose of your trip? How long are you staying? And twice, Are you staying with friends?

I've never been asked about criminal history traveling to the UK but I am also not a criminal, so idk.

I tend to agree with you though that there is no bar to him traveling there.

These people just decided they can't travel and didn't even try all options before shooting themselves in the foot.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

Its no bar in travelling to UK I think for him

as long as he's not on papers, or get PO

permission if he's still on papers.

Meeting in Canada is tricky you may get there

and he gets turned around at the border/airport

due to his crimes (it will be in their data-base)

Meet in the Islands for a vacation.

My question to those who have arrived by air to the UK. I can't remember anything on the landing card but name, address, nationality, etc. I don't remember any questions about crime, or communicable disease, or drug trafficking like is asked on ESTA before you can visit the US without a visa. So how do they know if somebody has a crime? Where would one divulge that info? Not doubting because it makes sense, but when do they ask?

I think you're right. The landing card asks nothing about your criminal history. It just asks where you're staying, when you're leaving, and some information about where you live in the US (or elsewhere). And every time I went to visit my now husband, the CO only ever wanted to see my return plane ticket and trip itinerary. I think once or twice they asked me when I was due to go back to work, and another time they asked how long I had been dating my guy. I honestly think if your guy wants to come visit you, he'll be fine as long as he has a valid passport.

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

the criminal thing isnt a problem on my end it was a caution for a small about of marijuana less than a gram first and last offence, I wasn't arrested but i was detained for 6 hours and this is 5 years ago i was 16/17 im 22 almost i believe i was a minor then under 18. Now I'm more worried about his convictions stated in my first post.

If you were detained then you were arrested.

Actually not, at least here in the US.

They said they were detained in the UK.

In the UK you can either be arrested and taken to station where you would be detained to be interviewed or interviewed under caution where you would be free to leave at any time.

Also to receive a police caution (helpfully different to the caution mentioned above, like a warning or reprimand) guilt would have to be admitted to the police but it would not have gone any further.

Admittedly I didn't think minor got cautions. OP if you had a solicitor at that police interview they should still have the file in storage and can clarify.

Edited by britishdakota

Why would he need a visa to visit the UK? Any U.S. citizen with a valid passport can enter the UK at any time.......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

US citizens do not need a visa to visit the UK. If he has a passport just go and buy the damn ticket already. If he does not have, then apply. I seriously doubt a few weeks in jail will prevent him from getting one.

Timeline

Why would he need a visa to visit the UK? Any U.S. citizen with a valid passport can enter the UK at any time.......

Nope.

Lots of Americans get turned away.

Admittedly the UK has a reputation for being a soft touch.

And you can always claim asylum if things get tricky.

I have seen many VWP entrants to the US forget about their criminal history and then when they try and immigrate it bites them. I am sure it works the other way around as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.