Foot

An Introduction and some helpful hints.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

First Id like to say thank you to everyone for all your help. This forum has been a valuable source of information for my Fiance and I as we have gone through our K1 process. My Fiance (foxy05 on this forum) and I met in Singapore back in 2011. She is from the philippines and came to Singapore for work. Through a situation that was out of her control she found herself (with 2 friends) in need of a place to stay. We had spent some time together and so when she told me of her situation I offered her and her two friends the use of my spare room. Shortly after she moved in, and very shortly after that we became romantic and spent the next two and a half months spending a lot of time together. I fell deeply and madly in love with her and when I returned home to Utah we continued talking daily and our love grew. I soon realized that I want to spend the rest of my life with this woman and I suggested to her that we start a K1 fiance visa. She didnt hesitate to say yes.We spent several months collecting documentation, filling out forms and reading every peice of information we could get our hands on. We submitted our I-129F in January of this year and recieved our NOA2 on the 15th of this month. I took her to Tioman Island in Malaysia in April of this year and knelt down in the sand at sunset, put a ring on her finger and asked her to marry me. So now we are waiting for the NVC to send our packet to the US embassy in singapore and to give us our case number. We are both very excited and already have quite a bit of our wedding planned. I cant wait for the day when she steps off the plane here and we can begin our life together. I think that will be the happiest day of my life.

I thought i would give some helpful hints about our experience. I know that a lot of people are here looking through this forum for assistance and information and since this site has been such a great help to us in our visa process I wanted to throw in my information to assist others.

1. READ READ READ. Before you start the I-129F package, read everything you can find about it. There is tons of information here on this site and quite a bit more on the USCIS webpage and many other related sites. The more you know about the process going into it the less stress and aggrevation you will have during it. So make sure you understand what is going on, even if you need to give a lawyer a few bucks to give you a hand. Save up and make sure things are done properly. Your relationship is to precious to jepordize with a lack or research.

2. KEEP EVERYTHING. Reciepts, phone records, boarding passes, pictures, instant messenger chats, skype logs, emails, letters, reciepts for gifts and money transfers, texts, Facebook notifications, twitter feeds, ALL OF IT. No matter how insignificant you think it may be, keep it. It is far better to have to much evidence then it is to have to little. Spend some time collecting everything you can think of, even if you dont submit some of it. Get a special box or file that you keep everything in together, all in one spot. This will make it easier to set up your packets and to select the strongest of your supporting evidence. Yes its a lot of work but your relationship is worth it.

3. ORGANIZE YOUR PACKET. When you sit down to set up your I-129F packet, do it properly. Spend a LOT of time on the layout and organization. Make it as easy to understand and follow as you can possibly make it. Page numbers, table of contents, power point presentations, introduction sheets, explanation notes and letters. Go through your packet over and over until it reads like a well written novel. Our packet had expanations for each section. We grouped every trip I made to visit her into its own section, wrote an introduction with table of contents for each and used thumb tabs and page numbers for ease of use. If you like, have a close friend review your packet before you submit it with the specific focus of readability and correctness. Make the job easy for the person at USCIS who is reviewing your packet. DO NOT just throw it all in a box and mail it off. Take some time, have some patience and do things right.

4. TALK TO EACH OTHER. Frustrations will arise. Aggrevation will set in and the impatient waiting for your aproval will get overwhelming. Talk to each other and be a team. Dont forget that your in this together and despite the fact that your probably many many miles apart, everything is easier when you tackle it together. Try not to stress about things that are out of your control (like processing time). If you find yourselves spiraling into a state of stressful aggrevation, STOP, BREATHE and remember that your relationship is worth it.

Just like to say thank you all again for all the assistance and information. Best of luck to every one of you and I sincerely hope that your dreams are granted. GOOD LUCK!!

Foot and Foxy. heart.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

You are so sweet by posting this. It is very helpful and even if we already sent our I-129F package this give me an idea on how to organize everything for the interview. It is a lot of work, patience and dedication.

Then it will be nice if you also make another forum on how exactly you put together your file for the interview smile.png

Congratulations for your approval btw star_smile.gifstar_smile.gifstar_smile.gif

Hello all,

First Id like to say thank you to everyone for all your help. This forum has been a valuable source of information for my Fiance and I as we have gone through our K1 process. My Fiance (foxy05 on this forum) and I met in Singapore back in 2011. She is from the philippines and came to Singapore for work. Through a situation that was out of her control she found herself (with 2 friends) in need of a place to stay. We had spent some time together and so when she told me of her situation I offered her and her two friends the use of my spare room. Shortly after she moved in, and very shortly after that we became romantic and spent the next two and a half months spending a lot of time together. I fell deeply and madly in love with her and when I returned home to Utah we continued talking daily and our love grew. I soon realized that I want to spend the rest of my life with this woman and I suggested to her that we start a K1 fiance visa. She didnt hesitate to say yes.We spent several months collecting documentation, filling out forms and reading every peice of information we could get our hands on. We submitted our I-129F in January of this year and recieved our NOA2 on the 15th of this month. I took her to Tioman Island in Malaysia in April of this year and knelt down in the sand at sunset, put a ring on her finger and asked her to marry me. So now we are waiting for the NVC to send our packet to the US embassy in singapore and to give us our case number. We are both very excited and already have quite a bit of our wedding planned. I cant wait for the day when she steps off the plane here and we can begin our life together. I think that will be the happiest day of my life.

I thought i would give some helpful hints about our experience. I know that a lot of people are here looking through this forum for assistance and information and since this site has been such a great help to us in our visa process I wanted to throw in my information to assist others.

1. READ READ READ. Before you start the I-129F package, read everything you can find about it. There is tons of information here on this site and quite a bit more on the USCIS webpage and many other related sites. The more you know about the process going into it the less stress and aggrevation you will have during it. So make sure you understand what is going on, even if you need to give a lawyer a few bucks to give you a hand. Save up and make sure things are done properly. Your relationship is to precious to jepordize with a lack or research.

2. KEEP EVERYTHING. Reciepts, phone records, boarding passes, pictures, instant messenger chats, skype logs, emails, letters, reciepts for gifts and money transfers, texts, Facebook notifications, twitter feeds, ALL OF IT. No matter how insignificant you think it may be, keep it. It is far better to have to much evidence then it is to have to little. Spend some time collecting everything you can think of, even if you dont submit some of it. Get a special box or file that you keep everything in together, all in one spot. This will make it easier to set up your packets and to select the strongest of your supporting evidence. Yes its a lot of work but your relationship is worth it.

3. ORGANIZE YOUR PACKET. When you sit down to set up your I-129F packet, do it properly. Spend a LOT of time on the layout and organization. Make it as easy to understand and follow as you can possibly make it. Page numbers, table of contents, power point presentations, introduction sheets, explanation notes and letters. Go through your packet over and over until it reads like a well written novel. Our packet had expanations for each section. We grouped every trip I made to visit her into its own section, wrote an introduction with table of contents for each and used thumb tabs and page numbers for ease of use. If you like, have a close friend review your packet before you submit it with the specific focus of readability and correctness. Make the job easy for the person at USCIS who is reviewing your packet. DO NOT just throw it all in a box and mail it off. Take some time, have some patience and do things right.

4. TALK TO EACH OTHER. Frustrations will arise. Aggrevation will set in and the impatient waiting for your aproval will get overwhelming. Talk to each other and be a team. Dont forget that your in this together and despite the fact that your probably many many miles apart, everything is easier when you tackle it together. Try not to stress about things that are out of your control (like processing time). If you find yourselves spiraling into a state of stressful aggrevation, STOP, BREATHE and remember that your relationship is worth it.

Just like to say thank you all again for all the assistance and information. Best of luck to every one of you and I sincerely hope that your dreams are granted. GOOD LUCK!!

Foot and Foxy. heart.gif

January 13, 2012 - Start talking
June 20, 2012 - Visit 1
September 21, 2012 - Visit 2
December 31, 2012 - Visit 3
February 20, 2013 - Visit 4 (proposal the 24th)
April 15, 2013 - Package sent
April 18, 2013 - NOA1
May 30, 2013 - Visit 5
August 22, 2013 - Visit 6
August 29, 2013 - RFE
October 4, 2013 - NOA2 (after 5 months 2 weeks 2 days)
October 9, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy
November 8, 2013 - NVC case number (after 5 weeks)
November 15, 2013 - Embassy in Lima received the case
November 29, 2013 - Visit 7
January 3, 2014 - Visit 8
January 6, 2014 - INTERVIEW APPROVEDJanuary 11, 2014 - Visa in hand
May 1, 2014 - Visit 9
May 4, 2014 - POE
June 24, 2014 - MARRIED :star:
July 29, 2014 - Sent AOS
August 6, 2014 - NOA1
September 4, 2014 - Biometrics

October 17, 2014 - Travel&Work permit Approved

December 3, 2014 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED

December 11, 2014 - Green Card in hand

September 7, 2016 - ROC sent

September 12, 2016 - NOA1
October 18, 2016 - Biometrics

October 17, 2019 - I-797C received

November 15, 2019 - Biometrics 

October 6, 2020 - Interview

November 18, 2020 - Naturalization ceremony
Ju44m5.png

8Hm5m5.png

lpi8m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some good tips! Here are more, along with some perspectives on the later processes:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.