Andrew83

fiancee comes next week

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

You'd think after the interview approval the stress would subside but that just isn't the case.

1) She'll arrive with a fairly short layover period (2.5 hours at JFK). She doesn't speak great English and will have no cell phone. I'm thinking of sending her a prepaid SIM for her unlocked cellphone but hopefully she can just buy one there.

JFK does NOT have free WiFi but maybe I could give her my CC number and she could get wifi to call me on Viber or text me with whatsapp?

2) Being a US citizen, I have no idea what immigration will be like for her. What happens with her baggage? By the time she's done with the customs and border patrol people, won't the bags from her flight already be off the carousel? I'm confused with the order of things. Depart plane, go to Border patrol, collect bags, go to security and then connecting flight? She arrives at 1:20 PM so hopefully that's before the huge rush of people coming from Europe and the lines are ridiculously long.

3) Just a general question about packing for her...anyone know of the cost of mailing a package from europe? An extra checked bag is $80, but maybe it'd be less hassle for her and not that much more expensive to just have her family mail her her winter clothes and heels and stuff when the time comes.

Thanks for any replies...wasn't sure where to post this really

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

80 bucks is cheap, for 23 kilograms of stuff.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

You'd think after the interview approval the stress would subside but that just isn't the case.

1) She'll arrive with a fairly short layover period (2.5 hours at JFK). She doesn't speak great English and will have no cell phone. I'm thinking of sending her a prepaid SIM for her unlocked cellphone but hopefully she can just buy one there.

JFK does NOT have free WiFi but maybe I could give her my CC number and she could get wifi to call me on Viber or text me with whatsapp?

2) Being a US citizen, I have no idea what immigration will be like for her. What happens with her baggage? By the time she's done with the customs and border patrol people, won't the bags from her flight already be off the carousel? I'm confused with the order of things. Depart plane, go to Border patrol, collect bags, go to security and then connecting flight? She arrives at 1:20 PM so hopefully that's before the huge rush of people coming from Europe and the lines are ridiculously long.

3) Just a general question about packing for her...anyone know of the cost of mailing a package from europe? An extra checked bag is $80, but maybe it'd be less hassle for her and not that much more expensive to just have her family mail her her winter clothes and heels and stuff when the time comes.

Thanks for any replies...wasn't sure where to post this really

If she is a Spanish speaker, I don't think she would have issues even if she couldn't speak a word of English. I actually called customs to ask about this situation with my own fiancee (she speaks only Mongolian) and they said that they have a phone number they can call to reach translators even for rare languages.

If she passed the interview and everything is in order, try not to worry! She will get through it and be with you very shortly!

What would Xenu do?

congrats! Thought I would help with the airport order for us non-us citizens is

1) get off plane

2) go through immigration and security

3) collect baggage

4) walk out of terminal

5) hug our american

:)

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

For those folk with layovers, it's:

1) get off plane

2) go through immigration and security

3) collect baggage

4) Go through Customs

5) exit international security area

6) drop baggage at the right baggage drop off point (this varies, based on what's on the bag tags)

7) go through next security checkpoint to get into the right terminal

8) get on the plane for the next jaunt.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

1) Do you think she'll really need to contact you from JFK if there is an issue and she is at worse denied entry they'll have to give her the right to talk to you, and you'll need to keep in mind she isn't really gonna have much time in JFK, of that 2.5 hours in JFK she'll pend alot of that time in immigration clearing that, and then will have to be at her next gate pretty sharpish to ensure she's not late and they're boarded on time. But if you wanted to let her have the wifi there could get and make a boingo account and just give her in the sign in information, or sending the sim is a pretty good idea, because if she doesn't need it will come in handy for when they're in country

2) What happens with her baggage all depends on the airline, some airlines will automatically switch the baggage to the new plane for you some will have a special carousel for connecting flights, this is something that has been explained by the airline upon landing when i've had to do it. but the order i had to do connecting flights there was two different ways,

Toronto,

1)Depart Plane

2)Go through Immigration

3)Go onto next gate (already had next ticket due to great airline cooperation)

4)get on plane

Ottawa

1)Depart Plane

2)Go through Immigration

3)Go to special connecting flight baggage claim collect bag

4)Go through exit security

5)Go to Departure area

6)Check in at check in desk

7)Clear security again

8)Go to Gate Board Plane

thats from my experience, i do know that Chicago terminals are all connected so would have to clear security again or collect baggage i believe they transfer to the other plane for you but i've never experienced JFK

3) Excess baggage fees are always cheaper for things of weight then shipping, since shipping by the pound gets real expensive, unless you're talking containers full that is

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1
I-129f Sent:- 19-Aug-2010
Date of Entry-27-May-2011
Date Married-24-June-2011

AOS
AOS/EAD Sent:08-Aug-2011
Green Card Received: 16-Nov-2011

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics App. 08-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics Completed 29-Nov-2013

Nearly there, and for those who are just starting the k1 it is a long wait but once it is over the time feels well spent

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

hey thanks for the great info...

FYI, I'm not worried about her getting denied or anything like that, just in case she misses her connecting flight and needs to let me know, or needs me to book her a hotel or call delta or whatever. Poor girl is coming to a new place and if there is a hiccup, I want her to be able to reach me that's all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The layover is pretty short. Call the CBP office at JFK (go to www.cbp.gov and search for "ports of entry"). Explain the pending K-1 arrival, the duration of the layover, and the expected flight-arrival time. The agent will be able to tell you approximately how busy things are at that time of day, and explain what will happen if the connecting flight is missed. They'll also be able to assure you that a Spanish-speaking agent will be on-site, or perhaps they can arrange for one by virtue of your advance call.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

hey ! where is yer lass today?

and please take a few moments to update yer timeline, over at http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=134714

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.