Dogwood_Poet

Filing taxes before spouse gets here

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
To use the filing status Single you have to be unmarried as of Dec 31st 2006, to file Head of Household you have to be divorced or hold a legally binding separation agreement and have a qualifying dependent...

The correct filling status for someone married to a non-resident alien should be Married filing separate or Married filling jointly... you can reduce your tax liability by filing married jointly all you need to do is request a ITIN from IRS for your foreign spouse at the time of filling or before....

For more information see IRS website or IRS publication 17

Be that as it may but it worked for me. That's what filing an amended return is for.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Sounds like "married filing jointly" is the way to go!! Question to the informed folks : does one have to report the income that the spouse earned abroad? Sounds kinda silly to be doing so, but thought I'd ask anyways.
Good question, I was thinking of that same question myself!

I was also wondering the same thing. My husband is currently working and haven't for some time, so therefore he wouldn't have any income. I understand what everyone is saying but it just seem unfair. I know we are married but why should we be penalized for being married to a non-resident. I'm not looking for a huge refund so filing jointly doesn't matter to me but if I chose to file separetely I get burn. Just don't seem right, but that's Uncle Sam for you. Thanks all for explaining it so well.

But wait, I have another question. Could someone file head of household and once their SO arrive file an amended return for the correct filing status????? Just a thought.

Edited by nyseness

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Sounds like "married filing jointly" is the way to go!! Question to the informed folks : does one have to report the income that the spouse earned abroad? Sounds kinda silly to be doing so, but thought I'd ask anyways.
Good question, I was thinking of that same question myself!

I was also wondering the same thing. My husband is currently working and haven't for some time, so therefore he wouldn't have any income. I understand what everyone is saying but it just seem unfair. I know we are married but why should we be penalized for being married to a non-resident. I'm not looking for a huge refund so filing jointly doesn't matter to me but if I chose to file separetely I get burn. Just don't seem right, but that's Uncle Sam for you. Thanks all for explaining it so well.

But wait, I have another question. Could someone file head of household and once their SO arrive file an amended return for the correct filing status????? Just a thought.

Actually I answered my own question. Check this out for anyone w/head of household questions. It's on page 6, but you have to have other dependents. A spouse cannot be considered as one. Hope this helps.

Edited by nyseness

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Timeline

joe,

To echo szsz, the answer is yes. A US taxpayer has to report all income earned anywhere in the world to the IRS. They may not owe any tax on the income, but they have to report it.

Yodrak

Folks, anyone knows the answer to this question? Thanks!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch02.html

Nonresident alien spouse. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household.

I will be married, insha Allah, on Dec 27 and will be filing head of household as I normally do since I have two dependents. By doing so I do not have to include my spouse's income that he earns abroad. :thumbs:

To use the filing status Single you have to be unmarried as of Dec 31st 2006, to file Head of Household you have to be divorced or hold a legally binding separation agreement and have a qualifying dependent...

The correct filling status for someone married to a non-resident alien should be Married filing separate or Married filling jointly... you can reduce your tax liability by filing married jointly all you need to do is request a ITIN from IRS for your foreign spouse at the time of filling or before....

For more information see IRS website or IRS publication 17

That's not necessarily true if you see my quote above from that same publication.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.