Francis J

Military certificate Belgium

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Sorry for asking so much question but we are in the small waiting period where the papers are send from the NVC to the embassy and then to me, so I'm trying to get all possible papers I'll need.

My last big problem is the Military certificate.

I've been trying to get this for weeks and nobody seems to know where to get it.

First of I'm born after 1976 so I didn't have any Military service.

Steps I did so far:

1. Went to town hall of the city I live and asked for prove that I didn't do any military service.
    They told me I needed to mail the department of defense.
  2. I mail the department of defense for prove that I didn't do any military service.

They mailed me back that there is prove in the Belgium law that I didn't need to do it because I was born after 1976

3. I called the Embassy to confirm that was enough
    They told me that they still wanted some official paper, and that I should get it in the city I lived when I was 18

4. Went to the town hall of the city i lived when i was 18
    They showed me a piece of paper from the department of defense that town hall can't give anymore papers about military service
    For any military service papers I should contact the department of defense.

5. For town hall I called the department of defense
    They confirmed me that I needed to be with them for the records

6. Back home I mailed the department of defense for my military records
    They mailed me back that I needed to get that in the city I lived when I was 18

7. I contacted the town hall again and even spoke with the person in charge and they asked me to mail them everything and they will look into it

Today I got a mail back stating that town halls can't give anymore military certificate and that if i want any prove that I'll need to translate the piece of legislation that states that belgium doesn't have any military service anymore.

So please can someone help me finding out what paper I need ?

Timeline

So you mean you've never been in the army?
I sent back my checklist yesterday to the embassy. I've never been in the army, so I didn't check the "military records" mark, because I assumed there aren't any.
I only have the police certificate and all the other necessary documents.
I might be wrong, but if you've never been in the army, you don't need the documents. I'm waiting to hear back from them for an interview date now.

Timeline

then you are really close to me Wim and Brittany, I'm not waiting for me checklist.

I hope I don't need the document, so far i'm going by what i read her on the website.

and here http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Belgium&cty=Brussels

at other forms the last part stats :

- Military certificate: The Belgian Military Certificate (Certificat de Militie/Militiegetuigschrift) can be obtained through the Service Milice/Dienst Militie of the local town hall authorities. Persons who were exempted from military service as well as persons who benefit from the new legislation suspending the military service also need to present this certificate.

So if that's wrong then I should have everything I need

Timeline

Ok, I looked in to it on the website of my town and it says that if you're born before 1976, you can get the certificate at the town hall. People born after 1976, can get a certificate that states that there is no military service. You should find the information on your town website. So I also just called them and the person responsible for handing those documents isn't available until friday. I guess I will find out then..

Timeline

Apparently, we do need it. So I guess you should go to your townhall and ask for "Het militiegetuigschrift ('model 33')".
So my town website says: "
Mannen geboren na 1 januari 1976 kunnen een getuigschrift krijgen waaruit blijkt dat ze niet onderworpen zijn aan de legerdienst."

I will know for sure on friday, when the person responsible for those documents gets back.

Edited by Wim and Brittany

Timeline

Sorry for the non dutch people but gonna quote some dutch text/mails

On the website of my town website ( where i lived when i was 18 ) it stats you need to get it from the department of defense : http://www.herentals.be/stamboekuittreksel

direct quote from the department of defense :

Geachte heer,

vermits u geen legerdienst hebt vervuld (de legerdienst werd opgeschort vanaf de lichting 1994 en u bent geboren in 1979), kan Defensie u uiteraard geen attest over gepresteerde diensten afleveren.

Indien u voor de Amerikaanse Ambassade een bewijs nodig hebt dat u geen militaire verplichtingen meer hebt, dan dient u dit aan te vragen in uw militiegemeente.
Met vriendelijke groet,
, Lic
Cdt
DG HR - HRA-E/N/Stam

Mail from my town hall

Beste heer Smets

Volgens de omzendbrief in bijlage mogen de gemeentebesturen geen militiegetuigschriften meer uitreiken aan jongens geboren na 31/12/1975.
Andere documenten dat u niet onderworpen was, bestaan niet. Indien men een bewijs wil, zal u ofwel deze omzendbrief moeten laten vertalen ofwel een stuk van de wetgeving.
Hopelijk hebben we u hiermee voldoende geholpen.
Met vriendelijke groeten

dienst burgerzaken

And last a picture of the paper that got send to the town halls that they can't give use the papers anymore

http://postimg.org/image/y0a38r6c1/

Edited by Francis J

Timeline

That is so weird. I got in contact with another Belgian, who already lives in the States. He has been very helpful with other things too so I asked him and he said he got his at the cityhall.
He also said that we definitely need it, because at the same time he got his interview, another guy had his too and didn't bring the document. He could have his interview, but he needed to bring it before he picked up his visa.
Look at this link: http://www.overpelt.be/nl/523/product_catalog/16/militiegetuigschrift-model-33.html

So my town says that they hand the documents there.

WAAR?

Het getuigschrift wordt uitgereikt in het gemeentehuis aan de inwoners van Overpelt.

I will find out tomorrow when that person gets back. It's annoying because they send you back and forth. Typical Belgium! smile.png

Did you get your letter from the Embassy yet? I'm expecting the appointment letter for my interview any day now. And today I have my Physical in Antwerp.

Edited by Wim and Brittany

Timeline

Update: The townhall called me back and said that they will make up a document which states that I haven't been in the military. It's weird your town can't hand such document.

Timeline

Yay, more people in the same boat! It's great to hear some similar stories from Belgium :)

Maybe this is a dumb question but do women also have to present their proof of exemption from military service? Will they just assume that we never had military duty for women in the first place or not? It doesn't say anything about this on the official documents so I assume it's possible...

I'm hoping to get my packet 3 next week!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.