adelaarsvaren

Visiting while in Process

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline

After receiving conflicting information about the possibility of a visit while in Process, we have decided to go for it anyways. It appears that it ultimately comes down to the decision of the agent who my wife will meet at the Seattle Airport.

We've filed I-130, and that's it (although I expect NOA1 soon, and thus the filing of I-129F), but it has already been 2 and half months since we've seen each other, so a visit is in order!

So, she's going to try to come for a few weeks over Christmas. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

I-130 to Nebraska

Received: Nov 15th 06

NOA1 : Nov 21st 06

Touch: Nov 27th

RFE: Feb 12 07

NOA2 : Mar 1st 07

I-129f to Chicago (for K-3)

Received: Nov 30th

NOA1 : Dec 5th

Touch: Dec 12th

Transfered to CSC : Dec 13th

NOA 2 : Mar 1st 07

NVC sends package to Paris: March 6th

Package 3 arrives: March 23rd

Interview date: June 13

Visa Received: June 20th

AOS and EAD

Mailed EAD: July 9th

Check cashed for EAD: July 17th

Card Production Ordered: Nov 6th

Card Received: Nov 15th

Green Card Interview: Dec 6th

Approved!: Dec 6th

Fougere's Music Thoughts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure what advice everyone gave you, but just in case, make sure she brings as much evidence as possible to show strong ties that she will be returning :) Good luck! My husband has had decent luck with visiting, although they do give him a rough time sometimes.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in the same boat and visiting my husband in the US on Wednesday. First time since we were married (2.5 weeks ago). I'm bringing a letter from my employer along with his business card and my business card, recent bank statements (along with my cashed cheque for rent), US cash, recent utility bills, pay stubs...

Anything I'm missing?

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

I-130

2006 09 06 Mailed I-130

2006 09 07 Rec'd at CA Center

2006 09 13 I-130 NOA1 receipt date

2006 11 22 NOA2, approved

2007 02 15 Case complete at NVC

2007 02 21 Case forwarded to Bogota Embassy

2007 02 23 Case received at Embassy

2007 04 12 Interview,VISA GRANTED

I-751- Removing Conditions

2009 04 08 Overnight Application

2009 04 09 Rec'd Application at CSC

2009 04 17 Rec'd NOA

2009 05 10 Called CSC - No Biometrix letter, 45 day Inquiry starts

2009 05 18 Made Info Pass appointment for June 2

2009 05 26 Rec'd response and copy of Bio Appt letter dated May 14, Appt on May 28

2009 05 27 Biometrix-walked in a day early and completed appointment

2009 06 01 Approved Conditions Removed (rec'd Congratulations letter on June 9)

2009 06 12 Touched but nothing changed on USCIS website

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I'm in the same boat and visiting my husband in the US on Wednesday. First time since we were married (2.5 weeks ago). I'm bringing a letter from my employer along with his business card and my business card, recent bank statements (along with my cashed cheque for rent), US cash, recent utility bills, pay stubs...

Anything I'm missing?

Hey Misa,

Just wondering how it went for you.... Bea is supposed to arrive next Sunday, and I'm getting nervous. She has a letter from her employer, who is an attorney, indicating that she has to come back to work. She even has a certfied translation of the letter into english. But that's all she has, as she is staying with her parents for the moment (as we have no idea when she will get to come over, so no sense in renting).

I-130 to Nebraska

Received: Nov 15th 06

NOA1 : Nov 21st 06

Touch: Nov 27th

RFE: Feb 12 07

NOA2 : Mar 1st 07

I-129f to Chicago (for K-3)

Received: Nov 30th

NOA1 : Dec 5th

Touch: Dec 12th

Transfered to CSC : Dec 13th

NOA 2 : Mar 1st 07

NVC sends package to Paris: March 6th

Package 3 arrives: March 23rd

Interview date: June 13

Visa Received: June 20th

AOS and EAD

Mailed EAD: July 9th

Check cashed for EAD: July 17th

Card Production Ordered: Nov 6th

Card Received: Nov 15th

Green Card Interview: Dec 6th

Approved!: Dec 6th

Fougere's Music Thoughts

Filed: Timeline

misa,

Yes - something that proves you'll be going back. Looks like you've got your bills paid up, so you don't have to go back to take care of that. You can quit your job with a phone call. Empty your bank account with your checkbook or an ATM card. So what requires you to leave the USA once you enter?

I'm with adelaarsvaren - how did it go at the POE? Were you asked for any of that stuff?

Yodrak

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
I have filed K3 for my spouse almost been 60 days since transfer, my question relates to the Tourist visa proof, isnt showing documents that your husband has filed and you will have to go back sometime to do medical and attend interview?

No thats not enough proof as both the medical and an interview can be done here in the States during the Adjustment of status... they want proof that you actually HAVE to return to your home country, even while you have a case pending.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My wife arrived to visit me again. She is visiting me from Turkey. Our I-130 was approved in September and has been at the NVC for 2 months. We are in the final stages of our paperwork.

Not to give any false hopes, but me being the worry wart that I am, the first thing I ask my wife when she calls is if she got through customs so I can breathe a big sigh of relief. The horror stories about people being turned away at the airport or border when they are just trying to visit ....is always in my head as she travels.

But pretty ironic, when I asked her about her entry, as soon as she called, she said to me that this was the "easiest one yet". She said the guy at customs was friendly, and even joked with her.

So, I would think that if my wife was able to get through to visit me (will stay one month until just past the New Years) , and considering the stage in the process that we are at (approved I-130, several months into the NVC stage), then just about anyone can come to visit.

That is of course..................if they get the right guy at the POE. :whistle:

In either case, I would always advise someone to try.......this process is sooooooooo long.....and to not even be able to see each other for even just a visit, is a tough thing to bear. To me.....and this probably being my wife's last trip here until she gets her green card (been here 4 times now..one month each)......it was DEFINATELY worth the risk. And I'm glad it worked out for us both.

Good luck to anyone trying.....and I hope your visits are just as smooth as ours. :thumbs:

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Filed: Timeline

If you’re worried about your wife being stopped at customs and returned home why not have her fly out of the pre clearance airports in Ireland. I mean in the worst case scenario if the officer does not accept her evidence that she will be returning back she will be stopped in Ireland. In either case it’s not nice for any one to get turned around BUT at least the person does not make transatlantic flight for 6-8 hrs and then is turned around and sent right back. Being turned around in Ireland is a whole lot better than being turned back in the states. Trip back home would be a whole lot less painful. And even if you’re SO got to the states and they decide to turn her around, they won’t even let u see her through a window. Imagine the feeling of having your husband or wife visiting you after not seeing each other for a year and a half and the officer decides that your SO is not allowed to come in for a visit. Imagine the feeling people get when you know that their spouse is on that other side of that wall and the officer comes out tell you that they will not be allowed in and that they will be returned and that you are not allowed not see them. NOW THAT IS JUST THE WORST DAY OF SOME ONES LIFE. So if you’re going to take the risk at least is aware of the things that happen. In any event that a person is not sure if they will or will not be let in to visit their SO I would suggest going though a pre clearance airport. I hope things work out as you plan and that you get to be with your wife for Christmas.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Anything I'm missing?
My husband was turned back at the Canadian border and was given a list of "ties" they like to see. Very important, they said, was a non-refundable, return airline ticket. Next, was a mortgage or lease showing your domicile and ongoing financial obligation. Bank statements are good. A letter from your employer is also good. But business cards are not evidence of anything, since you can print them at Staples.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.