30 posts in this topic

A power of attorney is basically a legally-binding written authorization allowing someone to represent you or to act on your behalf.

For example in New York State where I live, there's something called a "Health Care Proxy" that you can fill in and sign to name someone as your healthcare agent. Whoever you name on the form will be able to act as your agent (i.e. make healthcare decisions for you such as whether or not to initiate/continue/remove treatment or life support) if you are ever temporarily or permanently unable to do so. It also includes a section for any specific wishes you may have with regard to your healthcare. Your agent has to follow any written directives when acting on your behalf.

Edited to add that the Health Care Proxy is a legal document.

Edited by caly

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Can someone explain to me what is: durable power of attorney for health care or property or both

?

Durable power of attorney for property - is a document that allows you (the principal) to give authority to another person (your agent or attorney-in-fact) to make financial/legal decisions and financial transactions on your behalf. It is called “durable” when, by its terms, it remains effective even if the principle becomes mentally incompetent.

Durable power of attorney for Health Care- This is a legal document that allows you to appoint a health care agent (also known as an attorney-in-fact, a proxy, or a surrogate) to make health care decisions for you in the event that you can no longer speak for yourself.

(In this case, you can appoint your husband or wife as a power of attorney in healthcare of property) With this, you are able to prove that you have made health and financial arrangements with each other) Hope u understand what it means.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

So that if you become a vegetable your wife can pull a plug and collect your life insurance money smile.png

Yet, she can do that without the power of attorney anyway (based on the given state's laws).

Oh! Jeeeez...What a mess this is!!! What USCIS wants from us? LOL! I mean, do I need to buy a house or to take a loan in order to show that my marriage is legit? Haha...

Edited by klm9971

11/22/12 = Filed I-751 to remove conditions

11/30/12 = Got NOA1 (I-797C)

12/23/12 = Got the bio-metrics done (USCIS Status: Pending)

Waiting...

Oh! Jeeeez...What a mess this is!!! What USCIS wants from us? LOL! I mean, do I need to buy a house or to take a loan in order to show that my marriage is legit? Haha...

We have a house in both or our names, still asking for more evidence!!!!

oct 2007*met
05nov2007*started dating
02jan2010*engaged
13feb2010*sent I-129F
17feb2010*cashed check and received at VSC
24feb2010*NOA1
12May2010*** got NOA2 approval on email.
13may2010*** sent appr to NVC
17may2010***NVC received.
17May2010*** Got NOA2 approval hard copy.
25may2010*** embassy received...
30may2010***got NVC case number on mail.
17Sep2010*Interview date yayyyyyyyy *****APPROVED*****
16oct2010* POE Newark, NJ sooo easy...
26Oct2010* applied for SSN
10Nov2010* Wedding
27Nov2010* AOS/EAD sent.
29Nov2010* Forms arrived at facility
09Dec2010* Received notification email.
13Dec2010* NOA1/touched/SSN received
10Jan2011* biometrics in Elizabeth, NJ
15Jan2011* AOS case transfer to CSC
21Jan2011* AOS Arrived to CSC.
10Feb2011* EAD Approved
15Feb2011* Another MSG of approval of EAD?
16Feb2011* got email about letter of EAD approval on mail.
18Feb2011* got m EAD Card...
22Feb2011* AOS approved
26Feb2011* GC Received on the mail
27Nov2012* Sent the I-751 (same day as the AOS/EAD!!!!)
29Nov2012* I-751 received at facility
08Dec2012* Got an ROE sad.png hubby sent only copies
10DEc2012* sent I-751 again with originals lol
12Dec2012* Received at facility
17dec2012* Got NOA extending my residence for one year!!!
16jan2013* Biometrics done

2may2013* RFE need more evidence cray5ol.gifthey dont think it is enough

Timeline

We have a house in both or our names, still asking for more evidence!!!!

I can feel your pain.

Waiting...

I got an RFE and I am from Germany.

LOL!

Exactly. They are definitely not country of origin driven. They are "you forgot something that we really want to see before we make a decision" driven.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~
NOA1: October 29, 2009
NOA2: January 21, 2010
Interview Date: April 12, 2010 - APPROVED!
Visa Received: April 26, 2010
POE: May 11, 2010
Wedding: May 21, 2010

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Sent: June 8, 2010
Received at Chicago Lockbox: June 10, 2010
Email/text notification of NOA1: June 16, 2010
Check cashed: June 17, 2010
Case shows up on USCIS website: June 18, 2010
Hard copies of NOA1's arrive: June 18, 2010
Touch on all 3 cases: June 21, 2010
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!
Touch on AOS/EAD cases: July 1, 2010
EAD and AP approval: August 6, 2010
EAD Card Production: August 9, 2010
AP received: August 13, 2010
EAD Card received: August 16, 2010
AOS Interview: August 23, 2010 APPROVED!

~ROC~
Sent: August 7, 2012
Check cashed: August 14, 2012
NOA1: August 10, 2012
Biometrics: September 13, 2012
RFE: April 1, 2013; response mailed April 2, 2013
Approved: April 22, 2013

Green Card Production ordered: June 12, 2013 (email received)

Green Card Received: June 17, 2013

Timeline

Exactly. They are definitely not country of origin driven. They are "you forgot something that we really want to see before we make a decision" driven.

I couldn't agree more. I quote you in one of my post that "You are from Canada and you got a RFE". It doesnt really matter which country of origin you are from!

Waiting...

Filed: Other Timeline

Yea, it doesn't seem country of origin driven. But if it's evidence driven, I wonder why they don't specify what they want?

We got the boilerplate language, and we literally already had sent 95% of the stuff listed (other than a will, which in my mid-20s, I haven't thought about, or a child, which in mid-20s, I again havent thought about)

ugh

Timeline

I have gathered a few things to respond to my RFE. Here is my list:-

• Tax returns and transcripts for 2012
  • Banks statements from another one of our joint account
  • Bills that show both our names
  • Insurance policy showing me as beneficiary
  • Vehicle registration renewal
  • Affidavits from friends (not notarized)
  • Letter from employer explaining our living details (No lease or mortgage)

I don't know what else to send. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't worry, RFEs are pretty common. My goal was to mail a thick packet. You will be fine smile.png

Shelly is right about sending a thick packet! From I-130 to I-751 ---this is what we did.

I don't think that trying to acquire evidences at this point will be very helpful in the sense that what they really want to see is that there is continuity in the relationship. You cannot just get an insurance just because they sent you an RFE. Some couples have an unconventional arrangement, perhaps you can explain this on your cover letter and substantiate it with a letter from you boss. As I mentioned on the December thread, use their words and make it easy for them to locate your paper work.

How about driver's licenses which shows both your addresses? credit card statements? Health Insurance? Did your evidences cover the 2 years? Any memberships that were started in 2010 or 2011 up to now?

Good luck! I hope everything goes well..

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Timeline

Shelly is right about sending a thick packet! From I-130 to I-751 ---this is what we did.

I don't think that trying to acquire evidences at this point will be very helpful in the sense that what they really want to see is that there is continuity in the relationship. You cannot just get an insurance just because they sent you an RFE. Some couples have an unconventional arrangement, perhaps you can explain this on your cover letter and substantiate it with a letter from you boss. As I mentioned on the December thread, use their words and make it easy for them to locate your paper work.

How about driver's licenses which shows both your addresses? credit card statements? Health Insurance? Did your evidences cover the 2 years? Any memberships that were started in 2010 or 2011 up to now?

Good luck! I hope everything goes well..

We don't have any credit cards. We don't use them at all. We have driver's licenses. Don't have health insurance. No membership cards. I sent in evidence that covered the entire period that we have been married. I will just explain some things on my cover letter because I have gathered all the evidence I have and cant get more at this point. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was asked to provide that evidence in my RFE. Either a durable power of attorney for health or property or both, Will, or Trust.

is a will necessary when one has nothing to inherit to another?

what do you think guys?

I mean i have no property so how could i make my Will? Stating what? That I leave to my wife pure... air, since I own nothing?

any clues on that guys and gals?

Timeline

what do you think guys?

I mean i have no property so how could i make my Will? Stating what? That I leave to my wife pure... air, since I own nothing?

any clues on that guys and gals?

Hey ionianrain,

I did a simple power of attorney finance option and appointed my husband as my attorney in fact and had it notarized. I also had some friends and relatives write affidavits attesting to our marriage. Sent bank statements for the last two years, a few bills and auto insurance which showed both our names.

Do you have a joint bank account? If yes, send statements spanning from when you got married. What about car insurance, is it in both names? You can send them those bills also. Call your credit card company and get statements (they should have both your names on them). Write a letter explaining why your wife is not in the utility bills. Send them your joint tax returns. If you have any mails addressed to you showing both your names send that. Lease agreement showing both your names. The trip you took overseas, send the boarding passes too. Anything else that has both your names will be good evidence. Hotel receipts.....such.What USCIS what to see is co-mingling in finances since you got married.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Power of attorney we dont have, truth to tell.

the rest of the docs, yes we do have them indeed.

without ANY intention to sound rude, i 'd stick to my question:

what do you think guys?

if i have nothing to pass to my wife, i guess i need no will, right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.