formywife

Does anyone have applied for W-7 this year? Please Help!!

28 posts in this topic

my husband sent my passport to IRS and he got it back within 1 month. i feared that he won't receive my passport but he did received it back.. unfortunately, the irs rejected the application... he is trying to figure out what he did wrong. he still has my passport though

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

that's interesting, as the passport is the big piece of ID required.

However - also needed (and never referenced on any IRS website, IIRC)

is

the need for a cover letter, signed by both of you....

in that cover letter,

is a paragraph stating...

We elect to have <<foreign spouse's name>> treated as a resident alien for tax purposes for Tax Year 2012 .

-------============-=------------------===========

If there was no letter covering this, I can understand the IRS refusal at the ITIN unit in Austin, TX...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Was the passport the only document submitted? We also submitted his birth certificate to prove he is not a USC therefore not eligible for a SSN.

So, in essence, two pieces of documentation was used for Dave's ITIN application.

Edited by Carla & Dave

315oax2.jpg

Click "SHOW" for detailed VWP to AOS timeline

ny9pq0.png

rr8i2o.png

vevwp4.png

sljo7d.png

We received Dave's ITIN yesterday. I would highly recommend visiting your local IRS office. It will be far more effective than speaking to someone on the phone.

315oax2.jpg

ny9pq0.png

rr8i2o.png

vevwp4.png

sljo7d.png

Hi Apalis,

In my back home Nepal, when they certify Passport photocopy, they generally make copy of photo page of passport and certify it.

This is what exactly I did. Did you make copy of ALL pages of passport and certify it or just made copy of photo page of passport and certify it in US Embassy?

Thanks

Hi Speedwell,

Does this means that if ITIN application gets rejected then whatever money I am supposed to get as a refund, I will owe them?

Thanks for your response appreciate it

Thanks for your response, really appreciate it. I am going to contact US Embassy soon.

You only need to bring your own photocopy of the biographic page in your passport (color or black photocopy are both ok) to the US Embassy and they will take it from there.

No need to notarize other pages in your passport since they charge 50 USD / page.

We received Dave's ITIN yesterday. I would highly recommend visiting your local IRS office. It will be far more effective than speaking to someone on the phone.

Too bad that there's no local IRS office in Nepal. The US IRS office is only present in selected country like UK. It doesn't apply to his/her case here.

What formywife has done is correct, she only needs to complete that last step to get her/her husband's tax ID and she will be all set.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

This contradicts the IRS W-7 instructions which says to send "The original documents, or certified copies of these documents from the issuing agency".

But I sent a certified copy from the issuing agency of my wife's passport, and I just got a letter from the IRS today saying it has not been accepted. Very frustrating, I'm going to try to call the IRS on Monday. My wife is still in the Philippines and she had to go through a lot of effort to get that copy.

Hi G & V,

Every time I call them, I get different different response and one response does not match with another. I seriously don't know what they really want. While submitting my wife's W-7, I had subbmitted copies of passport certified by issuing agency, this is what exactly they told in website. Now I am trying to certify fro US Embassy, hopefully this will work.

Please let me know what response you got after calling IRS,

Wife's CR1 Visa Journey:

Feb 17, 2012: Mailed I-130 Petition.

Feb 20, 2012: Received NOA 1 ( Priority Date Feb 18, 2012).

July 12, 2013: Requested USCIS to Upgrade petition from F2A to CR1.

July 27, 2013: USCIS sent confirmation email regarding upgrade.

July 29, 2013: I-130 Petition Approved dancin5hr.gifwow.gifdancin5hr.gifstar_smile.gifsmile.png

August 02, 2013: NOA 2 Received.

August 12, 2013: NVC Received the Petition

August 29, 2013: NVC Assigned the Case Number

September 4, 2013: AOS Bill Invoiced.

September 4, 2013: NVC requested to fill DS-261 via email.

September 4, 2013: Filed DS-261 online.

September 4, 2013: Paid AOS bill online.

September 6, 2013: NVC Accepted AOS bill payment.

September 6, 2013: Mailed I-864Ez to NVC

September 11, 2013: NVC Entered AOS Documents into their system for Review ( NVC Says it may take 30 business days to review)

September 16, 2013: IV Bill Invoiced.

September 16, 2013: IV Bill Paid.

September 17, 2013: NVC Accepted IV Bill Payment.

September 19, 2013: Filed DS-260 Online

September 20, 2013: Mailed Civil Documents for IV application

September 23 ,2013 : NVC Entered Civil Documents into their system for Review ( NVC Says it may take 30 business days to review)

October 1, 2013 : NVC Accepted AOS. smile.png

October 17, 2013: Case Complete smile.png

October 28, 2013: Interview Scheduled wow.gifdancin5hr.gif

December 11, 2013: Interview

December 26, 2013: Visa Received

January 4, 2014: POE, Chicago

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

my husband sent my passport to IRS and he got it back within 1 month. i feared that he won't receive my passport but he did received it back.. unfortunately, the irs rejected the application... he is trying to figure out what he did wrong. he still has my passport though

Hi G & V,

Every time I call them, I get different different response and one response does not match with another. I seriously don't know what they really want. While submitting my wife's W-7, I had subbmitted copies of passport certified by issuing agency, this is what exactly they told in website. Now I am trying to certify fro US Embassy, hopefully this will work.

Please let me know what response you got after calling IRS,

Yikes, rejected with an actual passport, I wonder what's going on. I'm going to call tomorrow and hopefully get a chance to offer to send her birth certificate and maybe even our marriage license. If the call doesn't go well, I may just have to file separate and revise later. I'll post back here after I've called the IRS.

Timeline

Just called the IRS 800 number and they said they are just a call center and can not contact the office that actually processes the w7, or change any decision made. She just recommended sending the actual passport or national id card. So I guess I'll be going that route and I'll probably include birth certificate as well this time as some extra id.

Timeline

She's going to send me her postal ID, since it has everything listed in the requirements under "National ID Card". I'll send in that along with her BC, and a letter explaining how the original certified copy of the passport was obtained. Hopefully this will suffice.

Filed: Timeline

This is very disconcerting. I will be submitting my application in June (within my automatic 60 day extension). I am leaving Thailand on Thursday evening and have too many other loose ends to clear up so I cannot wait for the embassy. I obtained a certified true copy (actually got 2 of them so I had a backup) of my wife's passport. It is a plain copy of the passport but has a sticker issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and is signed by one of the employees. I suspect that I will have problems with this as well. If that does happen to me, I will be contacting my congressman for a congressional inquiry to the IRS Austin office as to why they are not following their own regulations. Since I do have a copy of this form, it should be easy to show the office of the congressman that I have indeed followed the proper instructions that state:

Proving your "foreign status" or "identity."

If you submit an original valid passport (or a certified copy from the issuing agency), you do not need to submit any other documents to prove your "foreign status" or "identity.

I can tell you from experience that congressional inquiries work very well. The agency that receives these inquiries usually have 48 hours to provide a response to the congressman (actually their aides take care of this in their name). This is one of the only ways that you can obtain any reasonable response from a government agency. I have been on the receiving end of these while in the Armed Forces and also used it when my tax refund was garnished due to a clerical error by the Defense Finance and Accounting Services in regards to my separation pay. Not only did my tax refund get returned, but I was given additional money because they found out the clerk who did my separation pay had underpaid me by a few dollars. If you do not want to go through the cost of the embassy notary service and the cost of International postage, send a letter to your congressman or senator. If you hurry, you may get this fixed prior to me sending in my W7.

ez

Are you submitting these on your own or through an IRS acceptance agent? I was told I could only submit Dave's W-7 application with my 1040 via an acceptance agent.

The link provides a list of agents both in the US and abroad.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program

315oax2.jpg

ny9pq0.png

rr8i2o.png

vevwp4.png

sljo7d.png

Filed: Timeline

Are you submitting these on your own or through an IRS acceptance agent? I was told I could only submit Dave's W-7 application with my 1040 via an acceptance agent.

The link provides a list of agents both in the US and abroad.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program

I will be submitting on my own. I have reviewed your link and in the FAQs for the changes, it states here:

What is the difference between a "certified" and a "notarized" document?

A certified document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the Agency. These documents will be accepted. A notarized document is one that the taxpayer provides to a public notary who bears witness to the signing of the official document and affixes a seal assuring that the document is legitimate. These documents will not be accepted for ITIN applications. Note there are some applicants who are exempt from this change. This exemption is described in a previous question.

I have a copy of the original document with an official stamped seal from the same agency that issued the passport. In fact, my wife needed a new passport and when she picked it up, it was quite easy to obtain this type of copy and quite a bit more inexpensive than the notarizing done at the embassy. My cost for a copy was about 15 dollars. Not sure why the wife got two of them, but if I run into issues, this will be what I show the congressional aide along with the posted requirements. We shall see.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.