gigarange999

Dating Service/Criminal History/Income ?'s

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am interested in the K1 visa process for a future woman that I may meet.

1) I have been using a site called www.latinlovesearch.com and it is a free service to meet latin singles. I am not sure if this is considered a marriage brokerage firm because it is free and it is more just a site to meet people.

What do you think?

2) My income last year was around $29,000 under a sole proprietership with my business. I am the owner and even though I grossed $186,000, the profit was $29,000. The profit is all I am allowed to show as income with regards to buying a house and filing taxes.

Will I have any issue with my income or paperwork? I spoke with an immigration attorney for 60 seconds for free advice and he said that I may need to get a letter from my accountant. I really didn't understand why.

3) Im 31 now and when I was 19 I was convicted of a class 1 felony for selling drugs. Also, I was convicted of battery 5 years ago after getting in a fight.

Am I required to disclose any of this information to a girl that I meet? Am I required to disclose it on the k1 forms? From what I have read and from what the lawyer said, I will not have to. It only covers domestic battery and some other charges. What do you think?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Edited by chicagolage

I could only comment on #1. My fiance and I met thru eHarmony.com, an online dating site. Our lawyer mentioned that as a marriage brokerage firm in our I-129F. So I guess that's the same genre as the website that you are visiting. But that's just my opinion.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No

Yes if it is below the minimum poverty level for your future household size. Go to the USCIS website for the latest info. You will also need to be above the 125% level for her to adjust status after you marry. You can get any USC to cosponsor.

Yes, you need to disclose both on the form and to your future spouse, who may be asked about her knowledge of that at the interview.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I could only comment on #1. My fiance and I met thru eHarmony.com, an online dating site. Our lawyer mentioned that as a marriage brokerage firm in our I-129F. So I guess that's the same genre as the website that you are visiting. But that's just my opinion.

ok thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

No

Yes if it is below the minimum poverty level for your future household size. Go to the USCIS website for the latest info. You will also need to be above the 125% level for her to adjust status after you marry. You can get any USC to cosponsor.

Yes, you need to disclose both on the form and to your future spouse, who may be asked about her knowledge of that at the interview.

Thanks for your response, but I do not see how I would have to disclose this information on the form or to the spouse.

question #2 asks, "Have you ever been convicted by a court of law (civil or criminal) for any of the following crimes: -Domestic Violence.. -Homicide...>>>> -Three or more convictions for crimes relating to a crontrolled substance or alcohol not arising from a single act.

I can honestly answer no to these questions.

Where is your supporting evidence regarding your response. I am not trying to sound cocky or anything(I know how text on the internet comes across), but I am wondering if you have any factual data to support your response.

If anyone else also knows please advise.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks for your response, but I do not see how I would have to disclose this information on the form or to the spouse.

question #2 asks, "Have you ever been convicted by a court of law (civil or criminal) for any of the following crimes: -Domestic Violence.. -Homicide...>>>> -Three or more convictions for crimes relating to a crontrolled substance or alcohol not arising from a single act.

Where is your supporting evidence regarding your response. I am not trying to sound cocky or anything(I know how text on the internet comes across), but I am wondering if you have any factual data to support your response.

Thanks.

As part of the k1 process a background check is run on both the petitioner and the beneficiary. It happens frequently where the beneficiary is asked about the criminal history of the petitioner during an interview, therefore it is best to disclose this to your foreign fiancé.
Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

As part of the k1 process a background check is run on both the petitioner and the beneficiary. It happens frequently where the beneficiary is asked about the criminal history of the petitioner during an interview, therefore it is best to disclose this to your foreign fiancé.

Ok but the problem is I have been a trouble maker since I was a kid and have had multiple arrests for different crimes but none of them are on the form.

I wanted to see what is actually on my record so I ran a background check and not everything came up.

Is there a way to run a background check on myself that the k1 process runs so I can make sure I list everything. I don't want to list a bunch of unnecessary arrests if they werent convictions and if they are only going to delay my whole process.

What do you think?

Edited by chicagolage

Thanks.

Taken from the I-129F instructions, page 3: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

NOTE: If your petition is approved, a copy of your petition including the information you submit regarding your criminal convictions, will be provided to the Department of State for dissemination to the beneficiary of your petition pursuant to section 833 (a) (5) (A) (ii) of IMBRA. In addition, pursuant to section 833 (a) (5) (A) (iii) of IMBRA, any criminal background information pertaining to you that USCIS may discover independently in adjudicating this petition will also be provided to the Department of State for disclosure to the beneficiary of your petition. You should also note that under section 833 © of IMBRA, the name and contact information of any person who was granted a protection or restraining order against you, or of any victim of a crime of violence perpetrated by the petitioner, will remain confidential but that the relationship of the petitioner of such person or victim (i.e., spouse, child, etc.) will be disclosed.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Taken from the I-129F instructions, page 3: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

NOTE: If your petition is approved, a copy of your petition including the information you submit regarding your criminal convictions, will be provided to the Department of State for dissemination to the beneficiary of your petition pursuant to section 833 (a) (5) (A) (ii) of IMBRA. In addition, pursuant to section 833 (a) (5) (A) (iii) of IMBRA, any criminal background information pertaining to you that USCIS may discover independently in adjudicating this petition will also be provided to the Department of State for disclosure to the beneficiary of your petition. You should also note that under section 833 © of IMBRA, the name and contact information of any person who was granted a protection or restraining order against you, or of any victim of a crime of violence perpetrated by the petitioner, will remain confidential but that the relationship of the petitioner of such person or victim (i.e., spouse, child, etc.) will be disclosed.

Ok. I appreciate the information.

I just got off the phone with an immigration lawyer and he said they are only looking for sex crimes, domestic battery etc. He said that is what those laws are looking for.

Does anyone have any first hand experience in this area?

I really do appreciate the input. I am going to print this out and bring it to the lawyer next week and try and get to the bottom of this.

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

I just got off the phone with an immigration lawyer and he said they are only looking for sex crimes, domestic battery etc. He said that is what those laws are looking for.

I really do appreciate the input. I am going to print this out and bring it to the lawyer next week and try and get to the bottom of this.

If you are planning on spending the rest of your life married to someone why would you NOT tell them all of the past crimes/arrests?

I would not like to "discover" my spouse had a criminal history no matter how benign. I would prefer that said spouse disclose such history to me PRIOR TO becoming my spouse so I could make informed decisions.

Now to address your question. I do not have first hand experience in this area. I have not committed any crimes that warranted arrest or trial.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

State Dept will run USC thru FBI database.. They will have access to any arrests even if not convicted.

Ok but the problem is I have been a trouble maker since I was a kid and have had multiple arrests for different crimes but none of them are on the form.

I wanted to see what is actually on my record so I ran a background check and not everything came up.

Is there a way to run a background check on myself that the k1 process runs so I can make sure I list everything. I don't want to list a bunch of unnecessary arrests if they werent convictions and if they are only going to delay my whole process.

What do you think?

exactly they will run you through all sorts of databases to check your history most of which you do not have access to therefore there is no way for you to run a complete background check in the way USCIS will be able to

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you do not tell your future fiancee about your past, and how you are now a changed man, this will bode ill for the K1 visa as well as your relationship. You have better if you show contrition. Is the lawyer you are consulting an immigration lawyer and did he/she graduate from a reputable law school?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yoiu are correct about not needing to list your cimes on the 129 form......but you should inform your future fiance all about them...Your entire life record (even those decisions that are "sealed") are available to USCIS and will be disclosed to the Embassy. Your fiance WILL be asked about knowledge of them, you can count on that. If she has no knowledge, they very well may deny her visa to protect her.

Stop being so smug; we are trying to help you.

Again, no need to list on the form, but do need to disclose all to your fiance.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

my 2 cents...

1. If you are not willing to disclose your past to a potential spouse, You have not "changed". Hide nothing from a mate OR the US government.

2. After doing a quick look, I think it is interesting that question is on the 129f (to comply with international marriage broker laws) BUT NOT on the 130 or 485 (some related there but that is about the beneficiary, not the petitioner) so you could avoid the question if you were filing for your spouse.

With number 2 said, if you are not clean on number one before marriage, you are sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Finished!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.