Andrew83

Potential problems before the interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Our interview date is May 20th in Madrid. We have everything in order and are ready now but there could be some problems I'd like to possibly clear up here:

1) I've been out since March 8th with a shoulder surgery. I'm still experiencing a lot of pain, and I have a feeling that my doctor will say that I shouldn't return to full duty yet at my follow up appointment on April 30th, however I've essentially been told by my boss that if that's the case, they'll fire me...

2) My job will very likely go union sometime in May as well. Meaning although I'll still have the same job, I'll technically quit my job with my current employer and work for the union.

The timing of both issues is absolutely dreadful.

• Will my I-134 be 'followed up' on after the interview? I have sent the signed I-134, my letter from employer, pay stubs (most recent is from April 1st I believe, but I could get one from April 15th as well, but I'm direct deposit so maybe the physical paystubs I've already sent to my fiancee in addition to screenshots from my bank statement showing deposits from my company would suffice?), and recent 2012 tax return to my fiancee. If I'm fired because of my shoulder or quit my job before the interview, is this something we should say? Or will it not matter? Or just say nothing?
  • Should I get my dad to send an I-134 with supporting docs just in case? If so, should I also send one saying I have no job now?

I don't want to lie, I just HATE the timing with this, especially since I feel like I'm only in this situation because my company are a bunch of blood sucking parasites and I'm being royally screwed. I'd honestly quit today based solely on principal, I don't want to screw us up on her getting over here.

Thoughts? What takes them 7-9 days to mail the passport with visa to the fiancee? Is it following up on everything or just takes them that long to physically put the visa in the passport?

Timeline

anyone?? I know it's kinda complicated but for me it's a pretty huge dilemma...

I'll probably just go back to work whether I physically should or not just to be on the 'safe' side so to speak, as far as the visa goes. Probably not the best thing medically.

But the question(s) still stands. In the event the doc simply says you'd be a fool to go back to full duty (I'm a supervisor, but I still have long long hours, and it's a really physically demanding job), and I can't go back to work and they fire me, what do I do?

Timeline

It'll be alright once she's here. I have quite a lot saved up to see us through a few months of unemployment if it came down to that, but I'd be eligable for the union even if I got fired/quit before it was finalized, in which case I'll make more money than before, better hours, etc....

Anyone ever heard of using unemployment checks on a I-134? hahaha

Luckily I have someone willing to co sponsor if all else fails (my dad), which I'm assuming is acceptable in Spain. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.