monoplast

How to update SSN after becoming US citizen??

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi,

I just received my certificate of naturalization and officially became a US citizen. In one section it says to update SSN. Can I do that online or do I have to do it personally?

Thanks for any help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I just received my certificate of naturalization and officially became a US citizen. In one section it says to update SSN. Can I do that online or do I have to do it personally?

Thanks for any help.

Only in Person. You need to take your certificate with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It might be even better to apply for your U.S. passport, receive it, and take it to the Social Security office. Other posters here have said that their use of the naturalization certificate took some verification, whereas producing the passport resulted in immediate updating.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

I heard some people having trouble updating the SSN right away. If you are applying for a passport do that and than update your SSN. If not wait 10 days for USCIS to update their system. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can do it via mail, but have to send in your original certificate, sure wouldn't want to risk that, may never see it again. In going in, in person with that form already filled out and signed by the person on it, I could do that for my gang with the original certificate, take a copy of it, the form and that was it.

If you run across a hard head that insists you have to be in that database first, request to speak to the supervisor. They have a copy of your original certificate and your form, that is all they need. What these dingbats don't seem to realize, is you are going there to give them money, a lots of money that according to some congressman, you may never see again. 14.8% of your gross wages to be exact between you and your employer. If that isn't bad enough, you also have to pay income taxes on those FICA taxes.

When you go in there, should treat you like a pot of gold they are going to get a big hunk of, and their wages come out of that money. This makes us the boss, not the other way around.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I updated my SSN an hour after the citizenship ceremony without issue. I had the SSN form filled out already (all I was doing was changing my citizenship status). They took a photocopy of my brand new shiny Naturalization certificate and told me it would be a couple weeks until they could match this update with their systems (with updates from USCIS I suppose.

Easy peasey - I was already off for the afternoon anyway so I figured I'd take care of it.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You have to go, wait in their stupid line and do it... I would wait 10 days so you are updated in their system...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

I went a week or so after the oath. I took the original certificate with me, the guy looked in the computer and saw that my status was updated and he didn't even need to make a copy of the certificate. He told me I would receive my new card in the mail in 2 weeks or so. I received it maybe 10 days later. good luck.

event.png

• 11 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

You can do it via mail, but have to send in your original certificate, sure wouldn't want to risk that, may never see it again. In going in, in person with that form already filled out and signed by the person on it, I could do that for my gang with the original certificate, take a copy of it, the form and that was it.

If you run across a hard head that insists you have to be in that database first, request to speak to the supervisor. They have a copy of your original certificate and your form, that is all they need. What these dingbats don't seem to realize, is you are going there to give them money, a lots of money that according to some congressman, you may never see again. 14.8% of your gross wages to be exact between you and your employer. If that isn't bad enough, you also have to pay income taxes on those FICA taxes.

When you go in there, should treat you like a pot of gold they are going to get a big hunk of, and their wages come out of that money. This makes us the boss, not the other way around.

NickD,

...but if these newly-approved US citizens were already Legal Permanent Residents (which they would have needed to be for at least three years to qualify for naturalisation in any case), then they were already paying these taxes you mentioned above, and were doing so for years. Converting your immigration status from a Legal Permanent Resident to a Naturalised Citizen does not adjust your income tax obligations. You don't know what you're talking about.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.