9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm sure that this has been asked somewhere already but i can't find the answer....

I entered the USA on a K1 Fiance Visa on 13th March. At my medical back in the UK I had the Flu shot as well as the first of the 2 MMR shots. I didn't have enough time to get the second MMR done in the UK so I visited the closest Civil Surgeon on the USCIS list today. I left copies of the form and the vaccination sheet that the doctor in the UK gave me and they said they would call me to book an appointment. They called me this afternoon and said that I would require the following:

- The second MMR shot

- A TST tuberculosis skin test

- A Pertussis shot

- A blood test

Is the above correct? On my vaccination form given to me by the UK doctor in London, Pertussis is marked as "age not appropriate" and "pertussis not available" - so why do I require it now?

Also, why would I need to have a blood test? I had all that to get the K1 visa in the first place so not sure why I need it...???

Please can someone advise me because I feel like I'm being forced to have and buy things that I do not need. My understanding was that I just needed to get the MMR second shot and then get the Civil Surgeon to sign the I-693 form. I don't know why I need any of the rest...!!

HELP!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You dont need the blood wok again some doctors are just trying to get your money thats why you just have to call one by one of the doctors and ask because they also have different prices. I just had something similar happen we had our interview last week and the consul said my husband just needed his shots,so we called the doctor and some started of at 500 dollar just for the vaccine but after lots of calls we finally got some doctor for 150 . Dont let them trick u into getting stuff u had sone already

Hi, I'm sure that this has been asked somewhere already but i can't find the answer....

I entered the USA on a K1 Fiance Visa on 13th March. At my medical back in the UK I had the Flu shot as well as the first of the 2 MMR shots. I didn't have enough time to get the second MMR done in the UK so I visited the closest Civil Surgeon on the USCIS list today. I left copies of the form and the vaccination sheet that the doctor in the UK gave me and they said they would call me to book an appointment. They called me this afternoon and said that I would require the following:

- The second MMR shot

- A TST tuberculosis skin test

- A Pertussis shot

- A blood test

Is the above correct? On my vaccination form given to me by the UK doctor in London, Pertussis is marked as "age not appropriate" and "pertussis not available" - so why do I require it now?

Also, why would I need to have a blood test? I had all that to get the K1 visa in the first place so not sure why I need it...???

Please can someone advise me because I feel like I'm being forced to have and buy things that I do not need. My understanding was that I just needed to get the MMR second shot and then get the Civil Surgeon to sign the I-693 form. I don't know why I need any of the rest...!!

HELP!!

Do you have a date marked by Tdap/ Td?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Do you have a date marked by Tdap/ Td?

Here is what I have on the vaccination form given to me by the doctor in London at my K1 Medical:

DT / DTP / DTaP = Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Td / Tdap = Date received 08/25/2009 - Insufficient Time Interval is also ticked with "every 10 years" written next to it

Polio-OPV / IPV - Ticked as Not Age Appropriate with "Pertussis not available" written next to it

MMR - Vaccine Given by Panel Physician is marked and dated 01/25/2013 - Insufficient Time Interval is also ticked with "4 weeks" written next to it

Rotavirus - Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Hib - Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Hepatitus A - Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Hepatitis B - Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Meningococcal - Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Varicella - "VH" is written under Completed Series/Varicella History

Pneumococcal - Not Age Appropriate is ticked

Influenza - Vaccine Given by Panel Physician is marked and dated 01/25/2013 and Completed Series is also ticked

Thanks for al your help. I'm just very confused and think the doctor may be trying to bill me for far more than I actually need.

Thanks for al your help. I'm just very confused and think the doctor may be trying to bill me for far more than I actually need.

Marking what is required for AOS in red

Td / Tdap = Date received 08/25/2009 - Insufficient Time Interval is also ticked with "every 10 years" written next to it

Polio-OPV / IPV - Ticked as Not Age Appropriate with "Pertussis not available" written next to it

MMR - Vaccine Given by Panel Physician is marked and dated 01/25/2013 - Insufficient Time Interval is also ticked with "4 weeks" written next to it

Influenza - Vaccine Given by Panel Physician is marked and dated 01/25/2013 and Completed Series is also ticked

Tdap you have marked. It was within the last 10 years. Pertussis is the "p" in that. Done

MMR-up to date as of you medical exam. Too soon to get dose 2. Will get waiver for "insufficient time interval". Done

Varicella - VH marked. Waiver for shot. Done

Influenza - It was flu season so you got the shot. Done

If the results section is marked "complete" and "may be eligible for blanket waiver" then your DS-3025 looks properly completed to me. Send a photocopy with your AOS and skip the civil surgeon and the I-693. The USCIS is supposed to go by the date of your medical exam If it was properly complete at that time. It was. It was medically inappropriate to get dose 2 of the MMR on that date. You should be given the blanket waiver and never have to get dose 2 of MMR for immigration purposes. I can't guarantee the person who picks up your file has studied their own manual, but I have and that's how it's supposed to be done.

I would 100% skip the civil surgeon for now. (That one is adding charges by the way.) The USCIS sometimes loses your medical file turned in at POE. If that happens, then you will have to go do the whole exam over because ther is nothing to clear you medically. So skip the civil surgeon unless you get an RFE that your medical exam can't be found, or an interviewer doesn't understand you have had all the shots and should be given a waiver for the rest. Maybe this would help you explain it to him. Maybe you won't even have to interview.

Edit: forgot to say that the comment about pertussis on the IPV line iwas inappropriate for the Knightsbridge nurse to write. That line the "P" Is for Polio. It's not on the adult list as a requirement.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Marking what is required for AOS in red

Tdap you have marked. It was within the last 10 years. Pertussis is the "p" in that. Done

MMR-up to date as of you medical exam. Too soon to get dose 2. Will get waiver for "insufficient time interval". Done

Varicella - VH marked. Waiver for shot. Done

Influenza - It was flu season so you got the shot. Done

If the results section is marked "complete" and "may be eligible for blanket waiver" then your DS-3025 looks properly completed to me. Send a photocopy with your AOS and skip the civil surgeon and the I-693. The USCIS is supposed to go by the date of your medical exam If it was properly complete at that time. It was. It was medically inappropriate to get dose 2 of the MMR on that date. You should be given the blanket waiver and never have to get dose 2 of MMR for immigration purposes. I can't guarantee the person who picks up your file has studied their own manual, but I have and that's how it's supposed to be done.

I would 100% skip the civil surgeon for now. (That one is adding charges by the way.) The USCIS sometimes loses your medical file turned in at POE. If that happens, then you will have to go do the whole exam over because ther is nothing to clear you medically. So skip the civil surgeon unless you get an RFE that your medical exam can't be found, or an interviewer doesn't understand you have had all the shots and should be given a waiver for the rest. Maybe this would help you explain it to him. Maybe you won't even have to interview.

Edit: forgot to say that the comment about pertussis on the IPV line iwas inappropriate for the Knightsbridge nurse to write. That line the "P" Is for Polio. It's not on the adult list as a requirement.

Thanks Nich-Nick - once again you are absolutely fantastic. I just looked again at my Vaccination Worksheet that the doctor in Knightsbridge gave to me. On the "Td" and "Tdap" line there was a choice of 2 boxes that they could tick. The nurse/doctor has ticked the "Td" one and NOT the "Tdap". Does this change anything? Also, it looks as though the "Pertussis not available" comment was written directly under the "Every 10 years" comment on the Td line.

At the bottom, section 2 "Results" the following 2 boxes are ticked: "Vaccine History Incomplete" (which I believe is due to only receiving the first MMR, am I right?) and "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above)"

So, even with giving you the above additional info, you still think I should just forget the I-693 and go straight to AOS and then just get anything they ask for if I get an RFE? It seems to me that is the best option from hearing your advice.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks Nich-Nick - once again you are absolutely fantastic. I just looked again at my Vaccination Worksheet that the doctor in Knightsbridge gave to me. On the "Td" and "Tdap" line there was a choice of 2 boxes that they could tick. The nurse/doctor has ticked the "Td" one and NOT the "Tdap". Does this change anything? Also, it looks as though the "Pertussis not available" comment was written directly under the "Every 10 years" comment on the Td line.

At the bottom, section 2 "Results" the following 2 boxes are ticked: "Vaccine History Incomplete" (which I believe is due to only receiving the first MMR, am I right?) and "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above)"

So, even with giving you the above additional info, you still think I should just forget the I-693 and go straight to AOS and then just get anything they ask for if I get an RFE? It seems to me that is the best option from hearing your advice.

You know, if the Knightsbridge nurse would stop writing her comments and just list the dates and tick the boxes, it would be a lot better. It doesn't say to comment in the instructions they are given.

The requirement says Tdap or Td. Those are adult versions of the ones above DTP, etc. Any of those is okay according to USCIS. See this post for a list copied out of their field manual. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/421205-vaccinations-required-for-aos-from-uk-to-us/page__p__6077412#entry6077412

To answer your question about results see this quote from Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians:

Completing "Part 2. Results."

After reviewing entries in "Part 1. Immunization Record" for all the vaccines, the appropriate box under "Part 2. Results" must be checked.

• Vaccination history incomplete: Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s).

Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination, because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a panel physician and could lead to unnecessary delay in the immigration process. If any of the boxes under the "Not Medically Appropriate" heading was checked, the "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above)" box must also be checked.

This box will probably always be checked because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant

My own personal opinion is skip the civil surgeon until somebody forces you to, because I think your form sounds complete. I hate spending money when it isn't necessary. You have the shots. It's not like you totally skipped out on any of them. No guarantees your adjudicator will have read every word of the Technical Instructions for overseas physicians (not his job) or his field manual. No guarantee they won't lose your medical and all this is a moot point. PM me so I know how it turns out

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

You know, if the Knightsbridge nurse would stop writing her comments and just list the dates and tick the boxes, it would be a lot better. It doesn't say to comment in the instructions they are given.

The requirement says Tdap or Td. Those are adult versions of the ones above DTP, etc. Any of those is okay according to USCIS. See this post for a list copied out of their field manual. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/421205-vaccinations-required-for-aos-from-uk-to-us/page__p__6077412#entry6077412

To answer your question about results see this quote from Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians:

Completing "Part 2. Results."

After reviewing entries in "Part 1. Immunization Record" for all the vaccines, the appropriate box under "Part 2. Results" must be checked.

• Vaccination history incomplete: Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s).

Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination, because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a panel physician and could lead to unnecessary delay in the immigration process. If any of the boxes under the "Not Medically Appropriate" heading was checked, the "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above)" box must also be checked.

This box will probably always be checked because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant

My own personal opinion is skip the civil surgeon until somebody forces you to, because I think your form sounds complete. I hate spending money when it isn't necessary. You have the shots. It's not like you totally skipped out on any of them. No guarantees your adjudicator will have read every word of the Technical Instructions for overseas physicians (not his job) or his field manual. No guarantee they won't lose your medical and all this is a moot point. PM me so I know how it turns out

Thanks Nich-Nick. I agree with you and will bypass the Civil Surgeon unless needed by RFE. Just to make my point further about how the doctor over here in the USA doesn't seem to know what they are doing - they called and left a message for me today that said that all I now need, apparently, is a Tetanus shot and blood work. They obviously either wan't to make me pay for extra, or really don't know what they are doing. So, I will just miss them out and go if required by RFE.

Thank you once again for your advice, I really do appreciate it.

Our wedding is May 17th and we will be sending off the AOS on May 18th so will PM you and let you know how it all goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You need pertussis: http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Personally though I agree with the above poster and i would not get the medical done until you're told. In the meantime i would investigate another civil surgeon because you:

1. don't need a TB skin test

2. don't need a blood test

3. Don't need to complete the MMR series if it was current at the time of the K1 medical

Find someone who's cheaper and knows what they're doing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.